• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBCS to CGC Grading

24 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gruson said:

What about the reverse?  Can you send a CGC slab to CBCS?

That's not the reverse of sending a CBCS graded book to CGC, who will crack it for you and grade it.

The reverse would be CGC sending you a CBCS graded book, and you crack it for them and grade it.

That's the reverse.  xD

On 9/12/2018 at 11:31 AM, Xenosmilus said:

I have few CBCS graded books that I want to get CGC graded. Does anyone know if you have to take out the book from the CBCS slab to get it graded at CGC or can you just send the CBCS slabs to CGC and they will take it out?

Sub them as crossovers - you have to leave them in the other company's case.

1323365968_FireShotCapture052-CGCComicSubmission-www.cgccomics_com.thumb.png.973abc92269bf5b31fb437b6745a71fb.png

2 hours ago, telerites said:

Sub them as crossovers - you have to leave them in the other company's case.

1323365968_FireShotCapture052-CGCComicSubmission-www.cgccomics_com.thumb.png.973abc92269bf5b31fb437b6745a71fb.png

now the million dollar question would be has anyone gotten a higher grade from CGC than another grading service?

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

now the million dollar question would be has anyone gotten a higher grade from CGC than another grading service?

Yes but also the same grade and lower grades.  sometimes they may find restoration that the others missed also.  pq may change too - go down, go up, stay the same.

Basically you are submitting them as raw books but the crossover deal does give you the benefit to have some discount applied but to be honest you don't want that to happen since the grade would be lower.  

If you're going to send them to cgc anyway you should use the crossover.  Plus sending them in the case will protect them although it does add some weight but depending how you ship them, it most likely does not impact shipping to cgc.

Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, intlnews said:

Would you send in a restored Amazing Fantasy #15 graded by CBCS to be re-graded by CGC?  Seems a bit risky, no?

Depends lol, if you had the AF15 since day one, definitely would send it in to CGC, but if you brought the AF15 as a CBCS and want to get it re-graded, that's a huge risk as you could be wasting lots of money

My first thought would be, if I'm looking for a AF15, I'd be looking at CGC graded first

5 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Depends lol, if you had the AF15 since day one, definitely would send it in to CGC, but if you brought the AF15 as a CBCS and want to get it re-graded, that's a huge risk as you could be wasting lots of money

My first thought would be, if I'm looking for a AF15, I'd be looking at CGC graded first

Bought it in 2014. Though, I'd be more interested in removing the restoration on the comic. Just way too concerned it would hurt the overall value.  Might be $$$ from CGC to remove the prof. restoration.

Edited by intlnews

15 minutes ago, intlnews said:

Bought it in 2014. Though, I'd be more interested in removing the restoration on the comic. Just way too concerned it would hurt the overall value.  Might be $$$ from CGC to remove the prof. restoration.

That's a tough call you have to make, personally I'd get the restoration removed but it's not my book and decision

I'd ask @joeypost about this situation, he is a pro dealing with these situations 

15 hours ago, intlnews said:

I would look at the cost to remove it and grade it take into account the possible change in grades and see if its worth it still to have the resto removed and regraded by CGC but I passed on a CBCS AF15 as I knew if I had to regraded to CGC it would most like drop the grade a bit and the risks involved for the price asking wasn't worth it to me. 

16 hours ago, intlnews said:

FWIW, professional restoration is a combination of 'easier to remove' and 'will impact the grade less' than amateur restoration. Just as "slight" will hurt less than "apparent".

If you send a CBCS yellow label which is pretty much the same as a CGC yellow label will CGC give you a yellow label in return? Or will you just get blue label or reen label?

I assume the later even though a yellow label at CBCS also requires someone to be there to witness.

50 minutes ago, IbukiLord said:

If you send a CBCS yellow label which is pretty much the same as a CGC yellow label will CGC give you a yellow label in return? Or will you just get blue label or reen label?

I assume the later even though a yellow label at CBCS also requires someone to be there to witness.

CGC will NOT put another company's signature book into a CGC Signature Series frame.  AND, CGC does not offer signature authentication - only signature witnessing.

On 9/28/2019 at 4:32 PM, IbukiLord said:

CGC cannot vouch for CBCS' chain of custody, so they wouldn't plop an unverified signature in their own SS label.

17 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

CGC cannot vouch for CBCS' chain of custody, so they wouldn't plop an unverified signature in their own SS label.

This. CGC's yellow label signature series verification goes way beyond subjective authentication based on opinion, expert or otherwise.. The autographs on CGC signature series books are all witnessed by a CGC rep. Like a notary. It's purely unadulterated and ironclad authentication, assuring the owner, that without a doubt, the signature on the comic is genuine, without the usual exemplar comparing guesswork of standard opinion based authentication.