• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Low Grade Keys Worth Grading?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I'm new to comic collection and even more new to grading. I have a few keys that I want graded, but I dont believe they are in the best condition. Would they be worth grading? Or should I keep them raw? 

Example:

Iron Fist 14

Captain American 100, 103

As stated above pics would be very helpful to determine an approximate grade.

Also depends on what you plan to do with the books, sell, display, just keep in your collection, read again???

Just looking quickly at eBay sold listings...

Iron Fist 14 CGC VG+ 4.5, recently sold for $73.00 and $99.00 each.

Captain America 100 CGC FN- 5.5 sold for $218.00 and a FN 6.0 sold for $203.00

Captain America 103 CGC VF+ 8.5 sold for $62.00

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

Unless there’s been some new development I’m unaware of, Cap #103 isn’t a key by any stretch. And unless it's is an ultra-high grade copy, which you say it’s not, it probably doesn’t make sense to slab it. If you are not planning to sell the other two soon and depending on the condition, slabbing the others doesn’t make sense to me. If you want low grade books slabbed your best bet may be to buy them already graded.

35 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Unless there’s been some new development I’m unaware of, Cap #103 isn’t a key by any stretch. And unless it's is an ultra-high grade copy, which you say it’s not, it probably doesn’t make sense to slab it. If you are not planning to sell the other two soon and depending on the condition, slabbing the others doesn’t make sense to me. If you want low grade books slabbed your best bet may be to buy them already graded.

Protects against unexpected "surprises" in grade, restoration and/or completeness.

Caveat if the OP got the books at a screaming low deal or is OO, but even then, see above protection.

Oh, and WTTB fellow Zonie! B|

21 minutes ago, jcjames said:
59 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Protects against unexpected "surprises" in grade, restoration and/or completeness.

Caveat if the OP got the books at a screaming low deal or is OO, but even then, see above protection.

Right. Which is why I recommended buying them already slabbed since the OP is new to collecting and grading, and probably lacks basic grading skills let alone the ability to detect restoration.

its a math question.  and a risk preference question. and a preferred return on investment question.  you've got to do your own math and figure it our for yourself. 

look up raw prices in completed sales on ebay.

look up CGC graded prices on ebay AND use GPA Analysis (google it, its like a history of CGC sales)

Look up CGC submission prices on their website, make sure you factor in shipping and insurance if applicable

make sure you factor in any other selling fees or paypal fees, shipping fees, into your sales prices or your profit margins

make sure you factor any other considerations or costs, like taxes, time value of money, your own time spent, space in your house, time doing all these calculations, time learning to grade.

don't forget to factor in what happens if your comics come back at a lower grade than you expect

And then decide if your potential profit is worth it using your own preferences and personal criteria.  Good luck.

Of course if you LOVE these specific comics for whatever reason, you may still want to grade, even if the math doesn't work out.  Most of us have some graded comics that aren't technically 'worth it' to grade, but it was worth it to us.

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Define "not the best condition". You may want to post pictures of them on the "Please Grade My" board, and ask there.

Thanks for the info. I have taken some High-Res scans of some of the ones I have and will head to that thread. 

21 hours ago, Swagger1889 said:

I'm new to comic collection and even more new to grading. I have a few keys that I want graded, but I dont believe they are in the best condition. Would they be worth grading? Or should I keep them raw? 

Example:

Iron Fist 14

Captain American 100, 103

Don't grade anything until you know enough to decide for yourself. Why the rush?