• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what would be more profitable?

27 posts in this topic

Depends on the books.  Are any or all or none of them super keys?  Are they connected to each other in any way?

Also depends how much your time and effort are worth.

Probably depends at least somewhat on condition, and the venue you choose to sell as well.

You'll probably have to provide more details to get any type of useful answer.  But in the mean time you can probably look up completed sales on ebay to get an idea.

5 minutes ago, revat said:

Depends on the books.  Are any or all or none of them super keys?  Are they connected to each other in any way?

Also depends how much your time and effort are worth.

Probably depends at least somewhat on condition, and the venue you choose to sell as well.

You'll probably have to provide more details to get any type of useful answer.  But in the mean time you can probably look up completed sales on ebay to get an idea.

these are the books

dc whitman 1.jpg

I don't know whitmans as well as some folks, but I'd sell the slabs separately and the raws together. 

15 hours ago, revat said:

I don't know whitmans as well as some folks, but I'd sell the slabs separately and the raws together. 

This. As a buyer, slabs being more expensive, it's easier for me to pick up 1 every other week on my budget as opposed to saving up and getting them all at once.

I tend to buy raw books in bundles to lower shipping costs and because I plan on reading them. Idk about valuable raw books, though.

Those are the latter Whitmans, and some of those are quite tough (like the JLA #179.) 

You should list all of those individually, especially if they're high(er) grade.

You also have a SUPER KEY in the DC Presents #22 Whitman. The last 8.0 sold for $1500.

39 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Those are the latter Whitmans, and some of those are quite tough (like the JLA #179.) 

You should list all of those individually, especially if they're high(er) grade.

You also have a SUPER KEY in the DC Presents #22 Whitman. The last 8.0 sold for $1500.

The raw copies are all around 7.0 -7.5 would it be worth sending them to CGC?

12 minutes ago, keithl said:
53 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The raw copies are all around 7.0 -7.5 would it be worth sending them to CGC?

Hard to say, as there's very little data, but based on the single 7.5 sale at $250 for JLA #179, I'd say yes.

In fact, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Check on this website to see if one of your books is extremely rare (of course it is obvious DC Comics Presents #22 Whitman version) - Recalled Comics

You should check Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide to find the price on each books.

Other resources are Ebay Sold Items (on the left panel), GPAnalysis.com and Heritage Gallery Auction (excellent history).

All other books aren't in demand. Maybe you should hold them for few more years until they are in high demand. Never know.

You can sell them at once if you are planning to get rid of them. It's your call.

Edited by JollyComics

13 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That is not correct. Check again.

I am very aware of those books with Whitman logos and I grew up with it. My mother gave me the pre-pack comics that contained Superman/Batman but sadly they are long gone.

It's amazing that keithl has all of them - Whitman books.

Rare Whitman Pre-pack comics are tough to be found - Pre-Pack Comics. I had 7 books of Uncle Scrooge #179 but I sold them too soon. I had too many Whitman comic books but not rare and I tried to sell them in one lot but no avail.

It is very rare those books are seen on the market. I think they are keeping until the time is right.

53 minutes ago, keithl said:

I guess the question is. when would be the right time to sell?

take a look at what the trends seem to be, take a look at what you paid.  Then take a look at your own risk preferences and preferences for return on investment.  Treat it like a stock.  Are you willing to sell once a price reaches X above or below a certain number, or if it has been above/below/stable at a price for X amount of time?  Also, how much do you want to put into to deciding the best time to sell?  That has value too. I don't mean to be purposefully vague, but the answers you seek are both personal and proprietary.  At what point (if any) do you want to spend your money or move it to something that either earns more or YOU LIKE more?

Its not quite as simple as with like movie/tv speculation.  I'm sure people have their own ideas, but they are based off years of anecdotal experiences and knowledge, and possibly tinged with bias and self-interest. 

2 hours ago, revat said:

I'm sure people have their own ideas, but they are based off years of anecdotal experiences and knowledge, and possibly always tinged with bias and self-interest. 

Inescapable. Part of the human condition.

But mitigateable, if I may coin a word, by not relying on any one source, but gathering a consensus from sources that have proven themselves capable of trust and honest, self-critical analysis.

Those are the 8 June 1980 DC Whitmans that are considered the most scarce.  If you want top dollar.  List them as Buy it Now or Best Offer as the client pool isn't as deep as say, the speculation buyers and you wouldn't want to watch them realize low prices with a poorly timed auction.  The Whitman buyers are around and will come a' sniffin' when listed on a venue like eBay.  

They are scarce and therefore command much higher premiums then the OSPG lets on.  The DCCP #22 being the biggie.  I sold the last 8.0 or was it 8.5 about 4 years ago for $1,500.  The others won't bring nearly as much but still are 3 figure books in nearly any grade.