• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random ASM Census stats
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Putting together my own ASM census from the Universal stats in one easy to look up spot & thought I'd share a few misc numbers. If you hate numbers, move along, nothing to see here. :nyah: Finished up through #100.

Total Universal grades for ASM #1-100: 94,896

Total 9.9: 2 (1 each #19, 73)

Most graded:(1) #50- 2,598 (2) #14- 2,464 (3) #100- 2,359 (4) #1- 2,356

Least graded:(1) #89- 381 (2) #85- 384 (3) #79- 393 (4) #80- 397

Highest Avg Grade: #95- 8.57, #91- 8.51, #84- 8.48

Lowest Avg Grade: #1- 4.09, #2- 4.72, #3- 5.0 

Most Common: #100 9.0 (287), #100 8.5 (282),#50 7.0 (273), #1 3.0 (254)

No 9.8's: 4, 11, 28, 29, 

Most 9.8's: #64 (64), #100 (59), #62 (52), #98 (45), #33 (40)

#30 is the first to average over a 7.0 (7.2), #57 is the first to average over an 8.0 (8.08)

#33 has 40 9.8's which is surprising, because the only other book with at least 10 9.8's up until that point is #19 (10). That's a big jump. The next double digit isn't until #45 with 17. All kinds of fun nerdy stats to look up. :whee:   

29 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

#33 has 40 9.8's which is surprising, because the only other book with at least 10 9.8's up until that point is #19 (10). That's a big jump. The next double digit isn't until #45 with 17. 

I want to say #33 is a warehouse find.  I could be wrong, though. 

Interesting that #80 is one of the least graded. Took me forever to find mine especially with a decent wrap. That's one of those horribly wrapped issues. 

Wonder why #64 was graded so much? Could it be that memorable cover?

I'll guess #121 or #122 is the most graded in #101-200

Edited by MGsimba77

3 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Interesting numbers to read for sure! Not usually into stats and percentages but anything ASM is A OK with me. I'm kinda surprised on the lowest graded. I'd have thought issues 95 and 99 would be at the bottom of that list. Cant wait to see what happens at 300. :)

95 (540), 99 (563). Certainly near the bottom.:bigsmile:

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Interesting that #80 is one of the least graded. Took me forever to find mine especially with a decent wrap. That's one of those horribly wrapped issues. 

#64 had over 1,200 graded which is almost 3x as many as #63. #64 had 64 9.8's, #63 had 2. I'll bet your right about #121-122 although #101 is probably catching up.

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Thanks, fun read.  The black cover of 28 keeps me up at night. Initial reaction is no real big surprises. My guess is that there still are thousands of raw copies of most post 1967 issues. Maybe even earlier. Surely there are many more 9.8s to come. 

I sure hope so. Finding a super high grade copy of #28 would be a dream. Most of the 8.0's that I see out right now have a terrible wrap on them. 

5 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I want to say #33 is a warehouse find.  I could be wrong, though. 

It is. I have heard that before.  My LCS dealer says he remembers being offered a stack of them in the 70's when he started dealing. 

5 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

#129 wins in a landslide. #121 (3,801, 7.60 avg), #122 (3,394, 7.74 avg), #129 (8,419, 7.44 avg)

#300 crushes them all. (13,586, 8.82 avg). These are Universal only. I'm sure there are plenty off SS out there also. 

5 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Interesting numbers to read for sure! Not usually into stats and percentages but anything ASM is A OK with me. I'm kinda surprised on the lowest graded. I'd have thought issues 95 and 99 would be at the bottom of that list. Cant wait to see what happens at 300. :)

The whole reason I decided to do it, was to help finalize my "buy" plan. I picked out the keys and compared availability/price and also wanted a consistent grade in my collection. So basically I ended up settling on a gradual increase up to 7.0 by #7. #7-20 7.0, #21-65ish 8.0, then 9.2 up to #129. Still figuring out the 9.4-9.8 points. I was looking at #160 as the 9.8 start point, but for some reason there is a severe lack of #173s that have been graded. 227 total, 26 9.8, 77 9.6. Average grade is 9.04. Hopefully, a few more start popping up.  

10 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

It took me a while to also find a decently wrapped 80 and that is another reason I have not upgraded my copy in an 8.0.  It also took me awhile to find a sharp looking 85.  Interesting... I think the ASM collector knew part of the trends regarding this run but this is the first time I have ever seen 'the numbers'.  

Cool. 

17 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

Putting together my own ASM census from the Universal stats in one easy to look up spot & thought I'd share a few misc numbers. If you hate numbers, move along, nothing to see here. :nyah: Finished up through #100.

I hope you aren't spending unnecessary hours pulling the data.

This will load in about 30 seconds: http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:Amazing:Spider:/comicyearstart/1963/comicyearend/1971/label/all/

:foryou:

Edited by valiantman

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:
6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I hope you aren't spending unnecessary hours pulling the data.

If it keeps kids off the streets and out of the pool halls, I say go for it.

:D

"Pool halls"... :cloud9:

Pool halls... I don't remember those, but I heard they were the best place to buy cigarettes from a coin vending machine. lol

I'll just leave this here... :whistle:

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:Amazing:Spider:/label/all/orderby/year/

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Pool halls... I don't remember those, but I heard they were the best place to buy cigarettes from a coin vending machine. lol

They still exist.

There's several near you in Little Rock:

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=pool+halls&find_loc=Little+Rock%2C+AR

Get shootin'!

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:
3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

They still exist.

There's several near you in Little Rock:

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=pool+halls&find_loc=Little+Rock%2C+AR

Get shootin'!

Don't be doxing my haunts! :baiting:

:grin:

I don't have to travel very far to find a pool hall... but it looks like there are too many red balls on the table. hm

poolroom20180131.png

We're still "on topic" too, since there are several issues of ASM featured in the middle of that back wall. :cloud9:

Just now, valiantman said:

I don't have to travel very far to find a pool hall... but it looks like there are too many red balls on the table. hm

poolroom20180131.png

We're still "on topic" too, since there are several issues of ASM featured in the middle of that back wall. :cloud9:

Pool tables AND comic books...?

What kind of juvenile delinquent trap are you running, sir??

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

poolroom20180131.png

You think I let any juveniles on my lawn? :preach:

1 minute ago, valiantman said:
2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

poolroom20180131.png

You think I let any juveniles on my lawn? :preach:

Well, there's your problem right there: storing your comics on the lawn.