• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Destined to be the best Comics General post of all time...
2 2

70 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 999Emergency said:

That pyramid doesn't include the favorite tactic of the hypocrite and the intellectually dishonest: the Gish Gallop. "Gish Gallop is a technique, named after the creationist Duane Gish who employed it, whereby someone argues a cause by hurling as many different half-truths and no-truths into a very short space of time so that their opponent cannot hope to combat each point in real time. This leaves some points unanswered and allows the original speaker to try and claim his opponent lacks the counter-arguments."

Sound familiar?

No. Should it, Stu? And how would you know, never having engaged anyone in intellectually honest debate your whole life?

Here's an easy refutation of your implication: message boards don't happen "in real time", therefore the "Gish Gallop" is not applicable.

I've definitely seen the Gish Gallop online version-it's also call the Wall of Text.  wherein the galloper responds to a post calling out BS with a huge wad of many different points, ignoring the main and devastating point in the initial response.  Further attempts to reply to the wall of text where the person cannot address a huge wad but picks out the most egregious one or 2 points result in an even larger wall of text, once again ignoring the devastating points and focusing on minutiae in an attempt to obfuscate the fact that they have just been demolished.  Attempts to say hey but you ignored my main point result in the "I already addressed that".  Extremely frustrating to the logic-based poster.

4 minutes ago, 787Sweet said:

Spot on post (thumbsu Plus I've seen plenty of conversations take place in real time.

Whether in person or online, it is impossible to respond to a huge wad of meandering points and obfuscations.  Especially considering that if you try, like a hydra, when one wall of text is addressed, 2 spring up in its place.