• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Xmen silver age only
3 3

31 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, c_mkv said:

Which issues are you/have you had the hardest time picking up? I've picked up 1, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 28, 49, 58 & 64(and ih181 and gsx1) so far in grades I consider collectible.I'm curious which to go after next or might start focusing on some of the bronze xmen books. 

I have #1 and #2 in 9.0, and I'm trying to assemble a 9.4 run from #3 up.  Right now the only issues I still need are:  #10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 30, 44, 79, and 80.  I have seen a few #10s in 9.4, but always with OW or worse pages; I think there's a Savannah copy of #79 floating around that has CR/OW pages.  I have also seen several #80s in 9.4, but always with severe centering issues.  I missed out on a #16 and a #30 in recent ComicLink auctions, but those were the only copies I've seen in the past year.  The others, I don't recall seeing at all in grade.

6 minutes ago, c_mkv said:

Which issues are you/have you had the hardest time picking up? I've picked up 1, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 28, 49, 58 & 64(and ih181 and gsx1) so far in grades I consider collectible.I'm curious which to go after next or might start focusing on some of the bronze xmen books. 

I am not certain what the census numbers are, but my guess is that books from the late 20s - late 40s are harder to find slabbed since there was not much going on during that timeframe. They are easy to find raw in high grade.

13 minutes ago, kimik said:

The X-Men were my favorite book as a kid - the first comic I bought off the rack was UXM #211 due to the cover and I was hooked from there. It has long been an undervalued title IMHO, when you consider how important it is in the Marvel universe. 

Right, but you're talking about the 1970s / 1980s X-Men run, which had excellent art and excellent writing that vastly expanded the X-Men universe and gradually placed the X-Men (particularly Wolverine) at the very center of the Marvel universe.  All of the characters that headline the X-Men movies were introduced in the 1970s, 1980s, or even 1990s (Deadpool).  The only one of the original X-Men (aside from Professor X) who can carry a movie is Jean, but only in the Phoenix incarnation that was introduced in the post-relaunch era.

I'm not sure that the enormous popularity of the Chris Claremont / Dave Cockrum / John Byrne run, and everything that followed, necessarily correlates to demand for the older stuff, with the obvious exception of the major keys like #1, #4, and #12.

Just now, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Right, but you're talking about the 1970s / 1980s X-Men run, which had excellent art and excellent writing that vastly expanded the X-Men universe and gradually placed the X-Men (particularly Wolverine) at the very center of the Marvel universe.  All of the characters that headline the X-Men movies were introduced in the 1970s, 1980s, or even 1990s (Deadpool).  The only one of the original X-Men (aside from Professor X) who can carry a movie is Jean, but only in the Phoenix incarnation that was introduced in the post-relaunch era.

I'm not sure that the enormous popularity of the Chris Claremont / Dave Cockrum / John Byrne run, and everything that followed, necessarily correlates to demand for the older stuff, with the obvious exception of the major keys like #1, #4, and #12.

I guess I should have elaborated. I loved the early X-Men run as a kid as well. That was the first Marvel SA run I put together. It was a much better read than early FF to someone that grew up in the 80s........

8 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I have #1 and #2 in 9.0, and I'm trying to assemble a 9.4 run from #3 up.  Right now the only issues I still need are:  #10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 30, 44, 79, and 80.  I have seen a few #10s in 9.4, but always with OW or worse pages; I think there's a Savannah copy of #79 floating around that has CR/OW pages.  I have also seen several #80s in 9.4, but always with severe centering issues.  I missed out on a #16 and a #30 in recent ComicLink auctions, but those were the only copies I've seen in the past year.  The others, I don't recall seeing at all in grade.

I remember issues 11 and 17 being relatively scarce in near mint or better (I never owned a high grade copy of X-Men #11 in 15 years of trying to collect the run in high grade), and the black picture frames 76 and 79 are tough, too.

Edited by namisgr

1 minute ago, namisgr said:

I remember issues 11 and 17 being relatively scarce in near mint or better (I never owned a high grade copy of X-Men #11), and the black picture frames 76 and 79 are tough, too.

Agreed.  I have always been crazy about monochrome covers, and I honestly don't recall ever seeing a 9.4 of #17 available for sale within the last two years.

Working on a complete run.  Including the non SA stuff.  I guess I've been working on it since August of 75 when I saw an SR71 on the cover and had to have it ... without having a clue about the history.  Just lucky I guess.

I'm missing #3, most of the reprints and a couple of non SA odds and ends.  I'm currently slabbing my high quality doubles which I'll sell.  I'd like to upgrade the lower quality issues too, but first things first.  The idea is to sacrifice the rest of the collection seeing as I'm not into it anymore.

Edited by Robert Zerbe