• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Xmen silver age only
3 3

31 posts in this topic

Slowly putting together a happy collection of early xmen books and curious what others think. 

While I think we can more or less agree the top 4 silver age xmen books are 1, 4, 12 & 14 what are the other books out there worth collecting? Curious as to where others would rank the rest and in which order. Only thinking about the original run up to #66 and not anything that happened with the newbies introduced in hulk 181, gsx1 and beyond.

I’d round out my top ten list with something like 58, 28, 49, 10, 64 and 3...I don’t have much love for the blob but it should be in there  

cheers

Since I am a completest, why no go for the entire run?

(Unfortunately I will never own a #1, use a Marvel Masterworks Reprint to complete the run.)

My favorites are...

8 - First X-Men book I ever bought back in early 65.

9 - Avengers Crossover, "Nuff Said".

11 - Cover pulled me in, story kept me there, Love Me Some "early" Cosmic Enitites.

35 - Spider-Man, what can I say, As a kid I LOVED crossovers in the early Silver Age.

My brother is doing a stan lee run from x-men 1-20. Only needs 4 more and done. It’s a nice run to collect and most are not that much money (in lower but presentable grades) 

Always do keys first. He got an xmen 1 cgc 1.8 SS for just 1500 (or maybe it was less?) just 3 years ago. No way he could afford that now. Instead he only needs to spend a few hundred more bucks to pick up non keys.

15 hours ago, jason4 said:

My brother is doing a stan lee run from x-men 1-20. Only needs 4 more and done. It’s a nice run to collect and most are not that much money (in lower but presentable grades) 

Always do keys first. He got an xmen 1 cgc 1.8 SS for just 1500 (or maybe it was less?) just 3 years ago. No way he could afford that now. Instead he only needs to spend a few hundred more bucks to pick up non keys.

Not sure I'll do the complete run but I agree on going with keys first....so far I have 1, 4 & 14 in grades that I'm happy with for my personal collection.

18 hours ago, jason4 said:

Stan Lee didn't work on #20

Here's what I learned putting together a high grade run.  Get all the first appearances first.  The other books tend to be a bit flat in price year over year and you can pick them fairly readily.  Some of the first appearances still stay relatively flat, especially if they haven't shown up in any movie.  I found BIN prices on The Bay high in general for X-Men slabbed books so only went there if I really needed to fill a gap.  clink is pretty darn good for X-men books.  They sometimes go under gpa.  HA I found a bit higher for whatever reason.  Books 1-10 just go up, plain and simple.  Never a wrong time to get 'em.  Here's the list I created that came in handy of the keys.

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 11.16.30 AM.png

15 hours ago, atomised said:

Here's what I learned putting together a high grade run.  Get all the first appearances first.  The other books tend to be a bit flat in price year over year and you can pick them fairly readily.  Some of the first appearances still stay relatively flat, especially if they haven't shown up in any movie.  I found BIN prices on The Bay high in general for X-Men slabbed books so only went there if I really needed to fill a gap.  clink is pretty darn good for X-men books.  They sometimes go under gpa.  HA I found a bit higher for whatever reason.  Books 1-10 just go up, plain and simple.  Never a wrong time to get 'em.  Here's the list I created that came in handy of the keys.

11: first stranger

7: first cerebro 

the list goes on and on ...

I wish I had the cheddar to swing it on a full run.

As the movies roll on, the historical importance of the early books is bound to go one way ...

Edited by Mr bla bla

On 9/21/2018 at 2:15 PM, atomised said:

Thanks for sharing this list...after getting the books I’m currently after I’ll use this to decide what’s next. 

When I was collecting Silver Age X-Men, I found it was easy to get all the Neal Adams issue as long as I was willing to pay OSPG.  But the 6 issues that preceeded Adams with art by Steranko  and Smith (and sometimes all they drew were the covers) are much harder to get. 

On 9/21/2018 at 1:15 PM, atomised said:

Here's the list I created that came in handy of the keys.

Poor Mastermind. Despite his key role in the Dark Phoenix Saga, he still gets no respect. :boo:

But at least he fared better than Iceman, who got burned so badly that he's now just a little puddle. :flamed:

On 9/25/2018 at 2:21 PM, Mr bla bla said:

It just struck me that compared to FF and ASM SA early X-men books seem ridiculously cheap ...

That's because -- all due respect -- compared to FF and ASM the art and storytelling in these books are vastly inferior in quality.  There's a reason it became a reprint book after 66 issues.

That said, there's still a lot of great stuff in this run, and I'm a passionate collector.  I'm pretty close to completing it, but certain issues seem never to crop up in high grade.

22 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That's because -- all due respect -- compared to FF and ASM the art and storytelling in these books are vastly inferior in quality.  There's a reason it became a reprint book after 66 issues.

That said, there's still a lot of great stuff in this run, and I'm a passionate collector.  I'm pretty close to completing it, but certain issues seem never to crop up in high grade.

Which issues are you/have you had the hardest time picking up? I've picked up 1, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 28, 49, 58 & 64(and ih181 and gsx1) so far in grades I consider collectible.I'm curious which to go after next or might start focusing on some of the bronze xmen books. 

Edited by c_mkv

The X-Men were my favorite book as a kid - the first comic I bought off the rack was UXM #211 due to the cover and I was hooked from there. It has long been an undervalued title IMHO, when you consider how important it is in the Marvel universe.