• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone buying raw books from Heritage Auctions?
1 1

40 posts in this topic

Does anyone buy from Heritage regularly?  I've heard grumblings of them upping their fees, but does anyone have an opinion on the raw books they're receiving?  I've only bought from them twice, and I think they've missed on the grading both times.  I brought the last transaction to their attention, and I have to say their customer service was impeccable, but my next purchase was another miss. It's small dollar stuff, so I don't want to make a federal case out of it, but I'm curious if these transactions are outliers, or the norm.

Does anyone buy raw from Heritage, and if you do, are you happy with the grading, or do you allow for an overgrade?

45 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Does anyone buy from Heritage regularly?  I've heard grumblings of them upping their fees, but does anyone have an opinion on the raw books they're receiving?  I've only bought from them twice, and I think they've missed on the grading both times.  I brought the last transaction to their attention, and I have to say their customer service was impeccable, but my next purchase was another miss. It's small dollar stuff, so I don't want to make a federal case out of it, but I'm curious if these transactions are outliers, or the norm.

Does anyone buy raw from Heritage, and if you do, are you happy with the grading, or do you allow for an overgrade?

Grading has usually been +/- .5 on average.  They did miss trimming once but took care of it. 

I've been spoiled by folks like Jim Payette, Bob Storms, and Dave Reynolds …. so I'm a little picky. I've mainly bought lots, with there usually being a few pleasant surprises. The few times I bought single books, they were either accurate or off by .5 ...GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I buy plenty from them and I have only had a problem once. Book had a popped bottom staple that was not listed in the description and I didn't notice it when they first shipped me the book until a month later when I opened it to read. Called them and they took care of it. (thumbsu 

I trust their raw books - have bought a few dozen lots from them and found the grading accurate. They're particularly good for clean-looking filler runs of mainstream Silver Age Marvels (like Daredevil, Thor, FF) in upper mid-grades (i.e., 7.0-8.5).

Edited by Gatsby77

On 9/16/2018 at 11:42 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Jerry Stephan, who worked for CGC from 2002 to 2007, grades the raw comics for Heritage.  I have spoken to Jerry many times in person at various conventions.  Saw him briefly at Wizard Chicago.

Heritage Comics and Art Staff

Jerry knows his stuff.  For sure.

I bought a raw grouping of the Brave and the Bold listed as "Very Fine" average. Here's the listing's image of the books and the description.

The Brave and the Bold Group of 7 (DC, 1967-69) Condition: Average VF. Includes issues #70, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, and 81 (Neal Adams art). Batman, Hawkman, Metal Men, Spectre, Plastic Man, The Atom, Wonder Woman, Batgirl, and Flash appearances. Approximate Overstreet value for group = $275.

I thought "wow, those look pretty nice" and ended up winning the auction. I took what I thought were the best looking ones, (70,74,75,77 and 81) and sent them in for pressing and grading. 76 and 78 looked a little rougher than the rest, so I held on to them.

Here's the grades I got back: #70 9.4, #74 9.0, #75 9.2, #77 9.2 (qualified-popped lower staple; looked ok to me when I sent it in), #81 9.2. 

image.png

Edited by Jaylam
images

On 9/14/2018 at 11:49 PM, jimjum12 said:

I've been spoiled by folks like Jim Payette, Bob Storms, and Dave Reynolds …. so I'm a little picky. I've mainly bought lots, with there usually being a few pleasant surprises. The few times I bought single books, they were either accurate or off by .5 ...GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

true dat

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, FineCollector said:

Heritage raw grading = (thumbsu

bought 2 raw books, came back in the range (I think one a bit higher, one a bit lower) of advertised grade.  Neither was 'right on' in my opinion, probably +/- 0.5.  Obviously a small sample size from me.

I just purchased some raw books and they missed a cut out in a book and a lot of them seemed lower than average to me. Customer service rocked!!

sending in an avengers #4 they stated was VG- Hope it all pans out. 

Yep, no issues here. I've bought a dozen or so raws in the last few months; the grading was solid. I also consigned about 15 books to them, and their grading either lined up with mine or came very close on every book.