• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What raw Silver Age book should I buy?
3 3

36 posts in this topic

You have been around 5.5 years?  You haven’t been paying attention if you want to invest in comics.  It’s always best to buy what you like and hopefully it goes upwhen it comes to long term purchase of funny books.

Edited by 1Cool

45 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

You have been around 5.5 years?  You haven’t been paying attention if you want to invest in comics.  It’s always best to buy what you like and hopefully it goes upwhen it comes to long term purchase of funny books.

Sure, but as mentioned, I'm predominately a Marvel guy and have little to no idea on other books outside of that to start exploring. I also don't pretend to know it all and can certainly take advice on books that I may not even know about (particularly Marvel), but that others think would be a worthy purchase/investment.

I feel like xmen 14 1st sentinels is way under valued at the moment. For 350 you could maybe get a near mint- . If Disney does the xmen you know at some point they’re doing the sentinels.

Juggernaut in xmen 12 also a good buy but not so sure they will go that route since Deadpool 2 just did...

spiderman I would gamble on kraven in Spider-Man 15 because no one else really is yet and he’s one of the only early villains left that has not featured in a film. 

If you like fantastic four it’s a little late and I don’t see 350 as being enough to get the bigs. 

3 hours ago, Every Day A Story said:

I have $350 to invest and want to know what (if any) raw silver Age books I should be looking to purchase for grading? PreferMarvel, but happy to consider other alternatives.

I wouldn't waste your time investing $350.

The return will be minimal and not worth the effort or the transaction costs.

Buy something you really like and enjoy it. Ir buy a few Silver or Gold coins for that money and put it away for when the revolution starts.

3 hours ago, Every Day A Story said:

I have $350 to invest and want to know what (if any) raw silver Age books I should be looking to purchase for grading? PreferMarvel, but happy to consider other alternatives.

The lowest graded FF#52 you can find for that price. The character is hotter than Deadpool and at least two more movies on the way. The fanbase for him is huge worldwide. We are talking future Hulk #181 prices for this.

Image result for black panther comics 1966

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

4 hours ago, Tazmaster83 said:

Fantastic Four annual #6, first appearance of Annihulus, is still very underrated and underpriced in my opinion.

I don't think that's an underrated book - seen plenty of boardies actively buying/hoarding these for the last few years.

It's a great book to own (and even a better one to read :) )

-bc

On 9/14/2018 at 6:46 PM, VintageComics said:

Buy something you really like and enjoy it. Ir buy a few Silver or Gold coins for that money and put it away for when the revolution starts.

Make sure to invest in plenty of Lead to protect your Gold and Silver coins if there is ever a revolution.

On 9/14/2018 at 5:58 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

The lowest graded FF#52 you can find for that price. The character is hotter than Deadpool and at least two more movies on the way. The fanbase for him is huge worldwide. We are talking future Hulk #181 prices for this.

Image result for black panther comics 1966

Future IH181 prices? Please...I don't think so.

1 hour ago, Howling Mad said:

Future IH181 prices? Please...I don't think so.

You are dead wrong. Black Panther movie just grossed 

$1,346,851,257

last Wolverine movie grossed

Worldwide:  $619,021,436  

Black Panther doubled what Wolverine made.

also strong rumor Black Panther will become next Avengers leader in movies.

Image result for black panther unmasked

6 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

You are dead wrong. Black Panther movie just grossed 

$1,346,851,257

last Wolverine movie grossed

Worldwide:  $619,021,436  

Black Panther doubled what Wolverine made.

also strong rumor Black Panther will become next Avengers leader in movies.

Image result for black panther unmasked

Wait, so you're basing this all off what the movie grossed? Come on man. It's Saturday night and I've been drinking heavily, and I still am not drunk enough to believe this. You keep dreaming. Sure, the books may spike above IH181 (which personally I find overvalued as it is), but they'll come back down to reality just like all Marvel books. They aren't that rare, even in high grade.

Just now, Howling Mad said:

Wait, so you're basing this all off what the movie grossed? Come on man. It's Saturday night and I've been drinking heavily, and I still am not drunk enough to believe this. You keep dreaming. Sure, the books may spike above IH181 (which personally I find overvalued as it is), but they'll come back down to reality just like all Marvel books. They aren't that rare, even in high grade.

It's all about Hollywood now. Worldwide there is not a hotter character than Black Panther. They will make many more Black Panther movies before they even think about  making the next Superman movie. Black Panther/FF#52 should be bought now before another spike in prices.

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

It's all about Hollywood now. Worldwide there is not a hotter character than Black Panther. They will make many more Black Panther movies before they even think about  making the next Superman movie. Black Panther/FF#52 should be bought now before another spike in prices.

Maybe, maybe not. Sounds like speculation 101, I'll keep my hard earned dollars thank you. That time has come and gone.

First you have to ask yourself, are you looking to speculate and gamble or do you want to go the conservative route with something that has been constantly increasing in value each year due to age/storyline/character and is a safe but slower investment?

If you are going to speculate and flip quickly for profit only then just keep tabs on what movies are coming and "guess" which character/story may be the next "hot" thing.

IMO,If you plan on keeping this book for the long term find an early silver age book with a cover/character/story you like or has a special meaning to you, do not forget about Pre-Hero Marvel such as JIM, ST, TOS and TTA.

For me that would be F.F. #25 because it was seeing the cover of that book for the first time back in 64/65 that made me say "WOW!!!" and got me hooked on Marvel.

Are there any books that do that for you?

On 9/14/2018 at 6:46 PM, VintageComics said:

Buy something you really like and enjoy it.

+1

I'd use $350 to buy a run of comics that I've never read before, and enjoy them.  You can always sell them later and get back most if not all of your cost.