• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What raw Silver Age book should I buy?
3 3

36 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

+1

I'd use $350 to buy a run of comics that I've never read before, and enjoy them.  You can always sell them later and get back most if not all of your cost.

$350 isn’t going to get you much in the higher grades on anything, but you could probably pick up FF 57-60 in decent shape for that.  It’s a classic arc.  Stan and Jack at their peak.  Undervalued IMO.   

For a single issue (if you have time to hold), FF72 has all the earmarks of a future high demand book.

5 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Agree 100%!

1BAEDAC3-14AF-403F-8ADD-AA678703DA29.thumb.jpeg.2f4ddc4d427900a01c0610d993b64890.jpeg

Thanks for posting the covers.   

57 is a classic in every sense of the word; full Doom, the entire team, purple cover, the greatest splash in history (doom stealing the Surfers power”).

What more could you want from an issue?

On 9/14/2018 at 3:18 PM, Every Day A Story said:

I have $350 to invest and want to know what (if any) raw silver Age books I should be looking to purchase for grading? PreferMarvel, but happy to consider other alternatives.

Don't buy marvel. With the marvel movies out almost all their big comics/first appearances have shot up. If you want to "invest" find a book that is currently undervalued and not being paid attention to much. I'd say silver age dc, most importantly Adventure comics 260, the first silver age Aquaman. You could buy like 3 mid/low grade copies for 350 bucks. Buy silver age DC reboots. BB34 SC34, BB54, first SA Hawkman, Atom, Teen titans, respectively. JLA 1 is pretty cheap right now, you could get a real low grade or a couple coverless. Heck, maybe even a coverless BB28 or SC22. I'd say just buy as many copies of AC 260 as you can. It will be worth a lot in the future, I'm saying as much as SC22, people just have to realize its significance.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:46 PM, VintageComics said:

I wouldn't waste your time investing $350.

The return will be minimal and not worth the effort or the transaction costs.

Buy something you really like and enjoy it. Ir buy a few Silver or Gold coins for that money and put it away for when the revolution starts.

+1000.  What is a $350 investment going to yield?

1 hour ago, KPR Comics said:

+1000.  What is a $350 investment going to yield?

Its different for different people, some, like myself don't have a lot of dough so $350 could go a long way. Its obviously not going to make him a millionaire. But if he's looking for a return of even just a couple hundred bucks, then its an investment. Remember at some point action 1 was worth $350.

I should've been clearer.  What type of yield is a $350 comic book investment going to yield?  Do you honestly think it is going to double to $700 anytime soon?  Invest in a CD and watch it grow.  By a bunch of comic books and read them.  Trying to do both = dranzer

9 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

I should've been clearer.  What type of yield is a $350 comic book investment going to yield?  Do you honestly think it is going to double to $700 anytime soon?  Invest in a CD and watch it grow.  By a bunch of comic books and read them.  Trying to do both = dranzer

Yeah, I dunno. That's what I'm saying. If you wanna actually double your investment to like 700, you're going to want to look into non-popular books that are undervalued, and that hopefully shoot up. Speculation, that no one is speculating about. You're going to have to take a risk, if you want to actually make a decent amount of quick dough.

There is a way to make money from that amount but it takes many long hours of research and some risk. I have spent many hours looking at ebay auctions the past years. Long story short. I won the book you see slabbed for $66 dollars and then had it slabbed for a cost of about $35 more dollars. I more than doubled my investment if I sell it right now. To be honest though not every book I purchase makes such a profit.

002.JPG

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

There is a way to make money from that amount but it takes many long hours of research and some risk. I have spent many hours looking at ebay auctions the past years. Long story short. I won the book you see slabbed for $66 dollars and then had it slabbed for a cost of about $35 more dollars. I more than doubled my investment if I sell it right now. To be honest though not every book I purchase makes such a profit.

002.JPG

I'm more interested in how you won this book for $66! Killer find my friend.

I have always just bought what I liked, and some of those items have appreciated greatly. For instance, I only bought Hulk 181 because I was trying to put together a full Hulk run. And it's appreciated 50x since. 

My advice is just go with something you like. For me that would be a lesser key in a higher grade like X-men 35 or Strange Tales 115, Silver Surfer 4, FF 50, 55, 72, etc. 

On 9/17/2018 at 4:47 PM, HuddyBee said:

Its different for different people, some, like myself don't have a lot of dough so $350 could go a long way. Its obviously not going to make him a millionaire. But if he's looking for a return of even just a couple hundred bucks, then its an investment. Remember at some point action 1 was worth $350.

If at the moment 350$ is high for you i dont think that buying comics as an investment would be a good idea...