• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic stores in Berlin/Munich

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I’m in Berlin and Munich for the next week or so (wife is running the Berlin Marathon), so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good comic stores in Berlin or Munich. Not sure if I’ll have a chance to stop at any, but just in case!

Thanks in advance!

Just noticed this thread and I thought I would chime in in case you are still there or if anyone else is interested. I can only speak to Berlin, not Munich, as that's where I have spent time over the past few years. There are two spots that I have been to -- Modern Graphics (they have two locations, one in Kreuzberg and the other south of Tiergarten on Tauentzienstraße), and then Black Dog Comics up on Rodenbergstraße north of the Schönhauser Allee U-Bahn/S-Bahn station. Modern Graphics is more of a new comic (US and European), graphic novel, toy, and t-shirt place. Black Dog actually has a small selection of vintage US comics as well as new comics. Black Dog definitely has more of an old-style comic shop feel. 

You might also check out the flea markets. There is a big one in Mauerpark on Sunday and there is another smaller one that I have been to at Tiergarten (Berliner Trödelmarkt). I have found US and European comics at both.

Happy hunting

Just now, dgillock said:

Just noticed this thread and I thought I would chime in in case you are still there or if anyone else is interested. I can only speak to Berlin, not Munich, as that's where I have spent time over the past few years. There are two spots that I have been to -- Modern Graphics (they have two locations, one in Kreuzberg and the other south of Tiergarten on Tauentzienstraße), and then Black Dog Comics up on Rodenbergstraße north of the Schönhauser Allee U-Bahn/S-Bahn station. Modern Graphics is more of a new comic (US and European), graphic novel, toy, and t-shirt place. Black Dog actually has a small selection of vintage US comics as well as new comics. Black Dog definitely has more of an old-style comic shop feel. 

You might also check out the flea markets. There is a big one in Mauerpark on Sunday and there is another smaller one that I have been to at Tiergarten (Berliner Trödelmarkt). I have found US and European comics at both.

Happy hunting

I did black dog, I actually got a couple bronze keys at a good price, but I had to go through the bins (which wasn't so easy). 

Munich had less comics in general, and less in English. 

Thanks. I probably should've been clearer in the first post, I was hoping to get some German-language older Marvel books (preferably X-Men, but whatever I could find). The day I picked to go out and look, Black Dog was closed (and from the description, looked more like it was a US importer...but it was closed that day anyway, so even if that assessment was wrong, it wouldn't have mattered), so I ended up going to the Modern Graphics in Kreuzberg. They were more modern than I'd've liked--more like Midtown in NY than a LCS with back issues--so I didn't really find what I wanted. I did just pick up an X-Men TPB in German, though, just to be able to grab something.

Thanks for the recommendations, though. I think these came in just after I went there (I went on the afternoon of the 18th, so before the first reply here after the time difference), but nice to know I'd narrowed it down to the right 2 to look into, heh!

2 hours ago, Cocomonkey said:

Thanks. I probably should've been clearer in the first post, I was hoping to get some German-language older Marvel books (preferably X-Men, but whatever I could find). The day I picked to go out and look, Black Dog was closed (and from the description, looked more like it was a US importer...but it was closed that day anyway, so even if that assessment was wrong, it wouldn't have mattered), so I ended up going to the Modern Graphics in Kreuzberg. They were more modern than I'd've liked--more like Midtown in NY than a LCS with back issues--so I didn't really find what I wanted. I did just pick up an X-Men TPB in German, though, just to be able to grab something.

Thanks for the recommendations, though. I think these came in just after I went there (I went on the afternoon of the 18th, so before the first reply here after the time difference), but nice to know I'd narrowed it down to the right 2 to look into, heh!

I can't remember all the names, but last year I was Berlin for a bit, I went to 4-5 shops and didn't find really any that had old bronze German edition comics.  I think you're better off 'getting lucky' in old book stores, although condition will probably horrible.  I did find a couple old (bronze/copper) German (and Swedish) Marvels in Stockholm, Sweden at more than one store.

The most surprising thing about the German comics I found was how much German SPAWN there was.  There was a lot, like a LOT.  My impression is that Spawn is the like David Hasslehoff of comics.  Known in America, but crazy popular in Germany.  Or maybe they just printed a bunch and no one bought it so stores were filled with extras...who knows?

On 9/25/2018 at 4:33 PM, Cocomonkey said:

Just noticed that you'd been looking for back issues. In Berlin the place to go would have been the "Romanboutique" (no "comic" keyword in the name), run by Peter Skodzik, author of the German Comic Book Bibliography (1946-1970) and of the Comic Book Price Guide, since 1970. Here's a link with the address: http://www.romanboutique.de/Comics/ComicsHethke/Wir_/body_wir_.html

Maybe on your next visit? ☺

Greetings from Hannover/Germany

/P.

14 minutes ago, Pickie said:

Just noticed that you'd been looking for back issues. In Berlin the place to go would have been the "Romanboutique" (no "comic" keyword in the name), run by Peter Skodzik, author of the German Comic Book Bibliography (1946-1970) and of the Comic Book Price Guide, since 1970. Here's a link with the address: http://www.romanboutique.de/Comics/ComicsHethke/Wir_/body_wir_.html

Maybe on your next visit? ☺

Greetings from Hannover/Germany

/P.

Yeah, that looks like what I was looking for. Next time!