• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 222 popped staple
1 1

12 posts in this topic

This is a pretty nice copy of Batman 222.  The back cover has some dirt, but the biggest problem is the popped lower staple.  The staple isn't holding until page 5.  I've read a lot of differing opinions but I've never been able to get a  good consensus on what a popped staple does to a grade.  Any feedback would be great appreciated!  Thank you!!

Bat222FC.jpg

Bat222Bottom.jpg

Bat222poppedstaple.jpg

Bat222insidepg1.jpg

Bat222insidepg5.jpg

Bat222BC.jpg

Higher grade books with one popped staple usually get a qualified label. In this case, the popped staple (with the first 4 wraps detached as well) really would affect the grade quite a bit if you were grading it as a Universal label book. It appears to be around a Qualified 6.5, but if I were grading it without the qualification, I'd give it around a 4.5...

Edited by The Lions Den
Edited response

I know this book is 'famous' for having this problem but, in this example, it appears to be more than a bindery problem. This was discussed in another thread and a bindery popped staple is much more clean. This example has some serious tears and damage to the area. Also, what is going on to the right of the staple, on the white stripe of the spine, it looks very dirty or maybe burnt ? I know some will balk at this statement but it looks like a bad press job. The spine is really flat and the vertex looks crushed.

Bat222poppedstaple.jpg.837c8e0f3b6ac2feead9c38023f84327.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:59 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I know this book is 'famous' for having this problem but, in this example, it appears to be more than a bindery problem. This was discussed in another thread and a bindery popped staple is much more clean. This example has some serious tears and damage to the area. Also, what is going on to the right of the staple, on the white stripe of the spine, it looks very dirty or maybe burnt ? I know some will balk at this statement but it looks like a bad press job. The spine is really flat and the vertex looks crushed.

Bat222poppedstaple.jpg.837c8e0f3b6ac2feead9c38023f84327.jpg

Did you look at the back cover scan Bob? Highly doubt that book was pressed, but never say never right? This book is infamous for this defect and I have seen where the staple has popped 3-4 wraps into the book. 

I do agree the spine looks too sharp, but that could be from poor storage. 

2 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Did you look at the back cover scan Bob? Highly doubt that book was pressed, but never say never right? This book is infamous for this defect and I have seen where the staple has popped 3-4 wraps into the book. 

I do agree the spine looks too sharp, but that could be from poor storage. 

Joey, I concur. Now that I am looking at that back cover, there is a very straight vertical dirt line along that BC spine, it does look to be a storage issue.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Joey, I concur. Now that I am looking at that back cover, there is a very straight vertical dirt line along that BC spine, it does look to be a storage issue.

Or the remnant of a very bad spine roll. The staple pop could have been the result of an overly aggressive attempt to remove the spine roll without a full book press or cleaning. 

2 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Or the remnant of a very bad spine roll. The staple pop could have been the result of an overly aggressive attempt to remove the spine roll without a full book press or cleaning. 

Again, I concur. It looks like the spine area alone was worked on, not a full press. This looks like an example of poor amateur pressing, without the right tools. Maybe somebody read the thread where the guy was advocating taking an iron to the book? Or perhaps a tack iron was tried? Whoops, popped a staple and burned it, better sell it. 

It's been a long time, I'm not sure.  I think some dealer in Florida (I live in California now).  I'm not even sure how best to try and sell it.  I would obviously offer full disclosure but I'm not sure how to grade it so I'm not sure what I can ask.  Any suggestions as to a Grade?

Edited by jdraheim