• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Framing Options - Opinions Needed

11 posts in this topic

Looking at framing a couple of pages (the first time I have framed original comic art) and debating between the following two options - both will be "framed by the mattes but the mattes will be separated from the original art (so the art will only be tacked to the backing matte).

I am framing the art pictured - Batman 494 Page 20 (Jim Aparo from knighfall)

Option 1 - a black Matte as the base with a single white matte floating around it with black frame

1012221121_FramingOption1.thumb.jpg.975f4a15236fd3c920ab74d600ef53ce.jpg

Option #2 - a white matte as the base with a black matte floating above with a white matte on top of the black (so double mattes on this one)

495649115_FramingOption2.thumb.jpg.42016bf41eed639d1c00885dc0200de0.jpg

I like both options - so looking for some guidance on what people have done and which of the above they prefer.  in both cases the mattes on "top" will not touch the original art, but rather will frame around it and be raised by about a 1/4 inch (if that makes sense - sorry new to framing tbh so likely there are terms to express what I am trying to say :) ).  I think i like Option #1 with the black background as the base matte, because with the white base (in option #2) you notice (somewhat) the differing white colours between the original art and the base matte.

Finally in addition to the Knightfall piece above I am also going to frame the following page - Action Comics 685 Page 22 from the Funeral for A Friend storyline - I would like the framing to match between the two.  Thanks in advance for the opinions.

2110367133_ActionComics685Page22.thumb.jpg.162666d93e8ca561251112edab67ebcd.jpg

If you go with #1, just make sure they don't float the page with anything other than archival corners. No dry mount!

Great Aparo page, btw!

A 3rd option for you... I recently bought a piece that was already framed. I kept the frame in this case because I liked the mat setup. It is similar to your #2, but the black mat just overlaps the edge of the art. It looks nice, but you risk a thin mat burn around the edges since the art isn't "tanning" evenly.

IMG_9276.thumb.JPG.3d5c95551001a96e37df5e817fffcc4d.JPGIMG_9277.thumb.JPG.1cf8bef204d669ba9ccd74f0f02d139b.JPG

7 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

If you go with #1, just make sure they don't float the page with anything other than archival corners. No dry mount!

Great Aparo page, btw!

A 3rd option for you... I recently bought a piece that was already framed. I kept the frame in this case because I liked the mat setup. It is similar to your #2, but the black mat just overlaps the edge of the art. It looks nice, but you risk a thin mat burn around the edges since the art isn't "tanning" evenly.

IMG_9276.thumb.JPG.3d5c95551001a96e37df5e817fffcc4d.JPGIMG_9277.thumb.JPG.1cf8bef204d669ba9ccd74f0f02d139b.JPG

Two questions: (1) what ar  archival corners (are those the clear plastic corners that the are affixed to the matte that the art slips into?) and (2) what is a dry mount?

The framer had mentioned lightly tacking it down to the mat underneath with a water soluble dextrose adhesive (if that makes sense). 

Sorry do not know a ton about the intricacies of framing. 

I had originally thought that the matte would directly touch the art (like in the example you posted) but then I would lose some of the border of the art board - not sure if I care but would appreciate thoughts as to whether this approach is standard or whether most people float the art so the mattes do not overlay/touch the art board?

7 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

(1) what are archival corners (are those the clear plastic corners that the are affixed to the matte that the art slips into?)

Correct.

(2) what is a dry mount?

The framer had mentioned lightly tacking it down to the mat underneath with a water soluble dextrose adhesive (if that makes sense). 

RUN AWAY! Seriously, go get another framer. That will probably ruin the page.

And fyi, most comic pages are not good candidates for any submersion bath conservation techniques because that will fade the inks.

then I would lose some of the border of the art board - not sure if I care but would appreciate thoughts as to whether this approach is standard or whether most people float the art so the mattes do not overlay/touch the art board?

I don't think there is a standard approach. The trade-off would be a slim bit of mat burn versus having the edges neatly tucked behind the black first mat, as in my example.

However, most of my framed art is floated. I only have the one example above that is matted as that's how the previous owner framed it.

I prefer option no. 1, but candidly, I think you have too large of a white mat. I would lean towards a larger or single black mat. Alex Johnson has some framing he's done along these lines which he has shown. 

Also, don't be scared of simple color frames (or simple color mats, either). You can use them as contrast or coordination with walls and furniture, while making the art itself look less cold and stark.

23 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Correct.

RUN AWAY! Seriously, go get another framer. That will probably ruin the page.

And fyi, most comic pages are not good candidates for any submersion bath conservation techniques because that will fade the inks.

I don't think there is a standard approach. The trade-off would be a slim bit of mat burn versus having the edges neatly tucked behind the black first mat, as in my example.

However, most of my framed art is floated. I only have the one example above that is matted as that's how the previous owner framed it.

Not 100% necessarily. Sounds like it could also be a mis-understood description of the process. Or even a new process. I'd ask more questions.

To me it sounds like they are possibly talking about something like a Japanese hinge (not dextrose, but starch based). IMO this is THE archival method for framing art. 100% reversible with no damage, and more secure and intentionally destructive method (to the hinge) to preserve the art in case of a hard fall the hinge will tear before the art does). Those archival corners can potentially become a hindrance/cause potential tear hazards.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have pieces with both, so take that FWIW. But definitely don't do anything involving any 100% irreversible mounting methods, ever.

6 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

I'd ask more questions.

True... I could've misread the OP and thought they were talking about a full-page dry-mount. The framer might be talking about a few small pieces of hinge tape curled into a "U" shape on the four edges. That would be much less of a pain to undo.

57 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Not 100% necessarily. Sounds like it could also be a mis-understood description of the process. Or even a new process. I'd ask more questions.

To me it sounds like they are possibly talking about something like a Japanese hinge (not dextrose, but starch based). IMO this is THE archival method for framing art. 100% reversible with no damage, and more secure and intentionally destructive method (to the hinge) to preserve the art in case of a hard fall the hinge will tear before the art does). Those archival corners can potentially become a hindrance/cause potential tear hazards.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have pieces with both, so take that FWIW. But definitely don't do anything involving any 100% irreversible mounting methods, ever.

49 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

True... I could've misread the OP and thought they were talking about a full-page dry-mount. The framer might be talking about a few small pieces of hinge tape curled into a "U" shape on the four edges. That would be much less of a pain to undo.

From my recollection it is 100% reversible and now that I think of it, I think it is starch based ........ I will head back in and ask more questions.  Sorry for any confusion caused - obviously new to the intricacies of framing. 

I always assumed that there would be a matte directly attached around the front of the art - I had never considered this framing concept where the art is not mounted with a matte on top of it - so trying to figure this all out - i.e., I had assumed that the framing would be like the photo that BCarter27 posted above - but am now being presented with this option where the top matte (for lack of a better term) that actually frames the art does not touch the art.  Is there a preference on the boards as to which is the more accepted method?

In the case where the top matte that frames the art is attached/touching the actual original art itself - how is the art secured to the matte?  Is it lightly tacked with archival tape or does it use the same starch based adhesive?

In the end I want something reversible that obviously does not damage the art.

Thanks for all of the help.  I am always amazed at the wealth of knowledge on these boards.