• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

see pic - could CGC have possibly given this a 9.6??

44 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Respectfully disagree.  If that was the standard, there would only be one "highest graded" of any given issue.  The graders should give a book the grade it deserves, whether it is "highest graded" or not.

Hence my point, the Showcase did not deserve the grade. It was an 8.5 that had the spine shifted to move some creases onto the vertex/back cover and given a 9.2 . It was immediately up for sale as advertised as the single highest graded, best copy in existence. Realizing that the single highest graded of a major key is very valuable, perhaps a double check using some comparison grading, or some extra eyes to insure it actually deserved the grade would be in order.  There were a number of these books that hit the market at the same time and I believe CGC acknowledged they were wrong and would look for this in the future. I am not arguing against your point that a book should be given the grade it deserves but in the case of a single highest  key, I am suggesting a little more scrutiny.

19 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Hence my point, the Showcase did not deserve the grade. It was an 8.5 that had the spine shifted to move some creases onto the vertex/back cover and given a 9.2 . It was immediately up for sale as advertised as the single highest graded, best copy in existence. Realizing that the single highest graded of a major key is very valuable, perhaps a double check using some comparison grading, or some extra eyes to insure it actually deserved the grade would be in order.  There were a number of these books that hit the market at the same time and I believe CGC acknowledged they were wrong and would look for this in the future. I am not arguing against your point that a book should be given the grade it deserves but in the case of a single highest  key, I am suggesting a little more scrutiny.

This is a very good point, Bob. Again, I would hope that any book that is the "highest graded copy" would be examined very closely before receiving that designation. 

As far as introducing an enhanced numerical system for higher grade books, I'm all for it. As RMA suggested, why not? It seems like a win-win to me...

3 minutes ago, DevilLand said:
On 9/18/2018 at 3:11 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Borock has stated, on many occasions, that he couldn't decide if a book was a 9.6 or a 9.8, and he wished that there was a 9.7 grade he could give. My question to him was "and...? Why couldn't you?" 

I don't believe this is true. Can you prove it?

You would be incorrect.

Too many people these days, so eager to accuse others of lying, with no justification for doing so.

You're too transparent, Stu.