• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

see pic - could CGC have possibly given this a 9.6??

44 posts in this topic

hi y'all.  i just bought a tomb of dracula #10 CGC 9.6.  it is registered as same on cgc registry, so that's all fine.  but i was surprised by the amount of wear in UL corner.  doesn't cgc assigning a 9.6 mean it's virtually perfect?  this flaw is NOT hard to see, in fact, it's the first thing your eye is drawn to.  here's a photo.  can this really be 9.6?

assumption is rest of book is flawless, i guess, if true.  it's not, on some edges, when looking through magnifying reading glasses, but maybe close enuf?  also, the top of the book, the front cover, is cut at a slight angle - - the amount of blue over the yellow title/marvel line on the left, is a little less than on the right (doesn't that detract from grade/attractiveness).  it's slight, but in the realm of 9.6's is that a consideration?

thanks for any help.  trying to decide if i should keep this.  paid a 9.6 price!  maybe it incurred some damage after slabbing?  or is this UL corner ok w/9.6??

p.s.  i notice i can pry the case open a little on each side, maybe 3 or 4".   is that normal?  another cgc i have here (i only have 2) is completely sealed on both sides and can't be pried open.  my TOD 10 does NOT open enuf to pull a comic out and switch another in.  thnx again!

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 9.46.14 PM.jpg

Edited by smileLP
forgot the p.s.

Sure. Doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary for a 9.6, provided the rest of the book is as sharp as those edges.

A 9.6 virtually perfect...? No. Not even close.

You're undergrading the book substantially.

And the miscut is so slight, as to not even be noticeable by most people.

THAT said...if YOU don't like it, ask the seller if you can return it, and offer to cover shipping both ways, so they aren't out anything. There's nothing wrong with the book as is, so if it's not to your liking, you should return it, while making sure the seller isn't out anything because of your dissatisfaction.

CGC never makes grading errors. Its grade is whatever the big blue label says it is. Of course, if you were to crack it out and re-submit it, it may come back as a 9.4, or maybe even a 9.8, or maybe even a 9.2. It just depends which way the wind is blowing. If I however, listed that book raw on feebay as a 9.6, my fellow CGC brethren would be tearing me a new one.  :grin:

I would not be happy with that book as a 9.6, apparently you are not either. I would return it. Trust me, your feelings about this book will not get better over time. It will get to the point where you don't even want to look at it anymore. Good question from the Lion, couldn't you see this in the listing ? It is rather apparent, not subtle. I'm curious, you did not show us the whole book nor the cert number, when was the book graded ?

i bought the TOD 10 9.6 sight unseen, it was mailed to me; but i only put down a deposit, the rest of the payment due upon my satisfaction (my terms).  i'm going to be a reseller on this comic and it was a good price, if a true 9.6 w/no probs.  here are the rest of the photos...

it was graded exactly 3 yrs. ago (9/15)

**if i call cgc, do they have a photo of this comic when it was submitted?  if i can see that corner as it appeared then, i'll know if it suffered subsequent damage.  do they provide this service?**

thnx!

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

Edited by smileLP
forgot something

1 hour ago, smileLP said:

**if i call cgc, do they have a photo of this comic when it was submitted?  if i can see that corner as it appeared then, i'll know if it suffered subsequent damage.  do they provide this service?**

Nope. 

4 hours ago, smileLP said:

yikes (thnx)

i also have the fear that the comic was switched.  is there a way to tell if the slab has been opened?  or if it's been opened, it couldn't be sealed again so it's ok?

thnx again

I don't think the book was switched, nor do I think the book was damaged. If damage was sustained inside the inner well it would be a crunch or crease. That corner is a color rub. You mentioned you are flipping the book, I think it highly likely a prospective buyer will not like this book either. It's simply a poorly graded book. Return it and get your money back. 

namisgr, i think you hit the nail on the head, most days a 9.4, that day, someone in a hurry?, a 9.6

to me, w/my many yrs in the bsns, i think it's a 9.2 w/that corner!  that corner alone might not make it a 9.2, but there are a few other tiny things

it's funny how we can't even agree in this pedigree forum  ; )   some say "return it, it's NG," others say "looks like 9.6 to me!"

if you're curious how this will turn out, i've decided to keep it.  i bought it at a 9.4'ish price, maybe i can sell it at 9.6 (as we've said, some of you think it IS a 9.6) which means a nice profit, but if i have to i will offer a partial refund or sell it as a 9.6 that some feel is more a 9.4, and make just a small profit

i guess i'll roll the dice on this baby.  would somebody who believes in cgc grading absolutely and as the last word, please come forward and buy it  ; 0

thank you all for your help

i just put it up on ebay for a very 9.6/high price.  if you're one of the contributors here who said, "it ain't no 9.6!", don't buy it!!  if you liked it, feel free...   ; )