• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

counterfiet books?

20 posts in this topic

I've been selling off my walking dead set on ebay and people keep getting concerned that the books are counterfeit-  I sold an issue #128 9.8 (0238504030) - (not a big issue)- and here is response I got from buyer:

"Hi I received this book. I went to sell it, and when I met the guy he informed me that the grading is counterfeit. The CGC sticker on the right side does not have line in the middle with www.cgccomics.com and the phone number - they are supposed to be there. Also where it says white pages there should be a white CGC water mark and that is also missing. I would like to return this for a refund."

I also had this question on a walking dead 56 graded 9.4-  buyer absolutely thought it was fake--

is there a rash of fake graded books out there?- or are people being paranoid-  is my book a fake?

all the books I get questioned about are in the registry--

anyone experiencing this sort of thing?

12 minutes ago, MrWalkingDead said:

I've been selling off my walking dead set on ebay and people keep getting concerned that the books are counterfeit-  I sold an issue #128 9.8 (0238504030) - (not a big issue)- and here is response I got from buyer:

"Hi I received this book. I went to sell it, and when I met the guy he informed me that the grading is counterfeit. The CGC sticker on the right side does not have line in the middle with www.cgccomics.com and the phone number - they are supposed to be there. Also where it says white pages there should be a white CGC water mark and that is also missing. I would like to return this for a refund."

I also had this question on a walking dead 56 graded 9.4-  buyer absolutely thought it was fake--

is there a rash of fake graded books out there?- or are people being paranoid-  is my book a fake?

all the books I get questioned about are in the registry--

anyone experiencing this sort of thing?

It's all the different cases, they confuse newcomers....they'll learn in time  :foryou:

If yours are in the registry cgc census, you're good (thumbsu

No worries!

15 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's all the different cases, they confuse newcomers....they'll learn in time  :foryou:

If yours are in the registry cgc census, you're good (thumbsu

No worries!

how does being in the registry prove its not counterfeit? Can't someone copy the registry number?

Edited by SBRobin

1 hour ago, SBRobin said:

how does being in the registry probe its not counterfeit? Can't someone copy the registry number?

I realize that jumping into the conversation at this point is rhetorical but just for fun:

It proves that it is not counterfeit in that it ties that case and book directly to a specific grade. On record. Does it it look like the book that is supposed to be in that case? If yes then it undoubtedly is.

More often what happens is that a book and case has been tampered with. A resto or a touch-up has been at times substituted into a blue label CGC case and furtively passed off as that grade. It is to my basic understand a large part of why the CGC cases were redesigned.

So are there copies of WD# 128 & #56 that have been restored and case swapped? Directly in line with the comments above, no. The flipper is trying to put the OP into a catch-22 where he would only be able to crack the book out to prove it was not printed on a home computer

etc. thus nullifying the grade. A very convoluted way of backing out of a deal if you ask me.

If we had pics of which case's your asking about that would help, as there are different labels for different cases. The first generation case had different labels for the same case in fact. 

I agree with the post above that someone indeed is trying to make you doubt your product. 

Edit: I see that most of this has been answered... was just answering who quoted me (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Ah, I thought the problem was people making actual counterfeit comics, not counterfeit slabs. Do counterfeit slabs exist? I'm really surprised a company in China hasn't figured out how to counterfeit the slab and sell them, since they can make pretty good knock offs of everything else. 

@MrWalkingDead thanks, and here is what the newest cases look like....

s-l1600.jpg

It probably doesn't help that the newer label, labels this book as a "first appearance." To the newcomer, it may appear that your label is too different, but I assure you that yours is the real thing...... I assume that there is not much that you can do about it, other than educate buyers (shrug) 

55 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

Ah, I thought the problem was people making actual counterfeit comics, not counterfeit slabs. Do counterfeit slabs exist? I'm really surprised a company in China hasn't figured out how to counterfeit the slab and sell them, since they can make pretty good knock offs of everything else. 

Loose lips sink ships.

1 hour ago, SBRobin said:

People are trying to counterfeit them as we speak, using all sorts of methods, but thus far, they haven't been successful. ("How would you know that, huh?? If they're successful, that means no one knows!" Yes, but the odds and all the factors involved are still in our favor.) 

This is also why learning how to grade is imperative for anyone buying comics, slabbed or unslabbed. If you know how to grade, you can avoid the "obvious" frauds.

Counterfeiters always get something wrong....and a slabbing machine is quite expensive.

There are counterfeit NGC and PCGS slabs (coins), and people figure those out pretty well. 

Impossible? Of course not. Worth it on a couple of $30 slabs? Even as a "test run"? No.

On 9/16/2018 at 3:02 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@MrWalkingDead thanks, and here is what the newest cases look like....

s-l1600.jpg

It probably doesn't help that the newer label, labels this book as a "first appearance." To the newcomer, it may appear that your label is too different, but I assure you that yours is the real thing...... I assume that there is not much that you can do about it, other than educate buyers (shrug) 

You forgot to include the Newton rings :bigsmile:

On 9/17/2018 at 5:38 PM, valiantman said:

I just made this, in case the problem occurs more often.

cgclabeltypes.png

This is a good guide. Also worth noting that the info slip on the very top (when looking down on the slab from above) used to be a sticker and now it is inside the slab.

I had a few guys ask me about that and thought they had brought fakes of older slabbed books