• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Hercules #1 - Possible Cover Printing Error?

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. My friend's grandfather passed away and I bought a few containers of comics from her for $50. This post is mainly intended to see if you think this comic might be a color printing error on the front cover. I am pretty decent at grading comics in general, but do not have the knowledge to tell for sure if there was an error during the printing/color process. Based upon what I see overall, I am thinking it is an ink issue not a storage issue, though I could be wrong. Not that this is a valuable comic, but I have 15 regular copies of these in this lot and this one is the only comic like this. The first three photos are of the comic in question - which includes the inside of the front cover which is in full color, and the back cover as well. The next three will be one to compare it too (with the same three type of photos as the first), and the final photos will be corner shots for further comparison if need be. I appreciate your expert opinions on this. I checked CGC and other sources, though no error variant is noted from what I can tell. However you see this, I would also appreciate your opinion on grade. For instance, if this is in fact a rare printing issue, would you get this pressed and graded? Thank you!

20180915_220513.jpg

20180915_220032.jpg

20180915_220052.jpg

20180915_220018.jpg

20180915_215820.jpg

20180915_215839.jpg

20180915_220534.jpg

20180915_220547.jpg

20180915_220519.jpg

20180915_220525.jpg

Edited by Acegraphix
Added clarifying words related to the photos.

It looks like a printing ink error, but certainly not an uncommon one, or an intentional one.  I would guess that the cover only received the cyan and black inks and missed out on the magenta and yellow. I am surprised that the back cover for this book doesn't exhibit the same color scheme (but someone with more printing knowledge than me will chime in with an explanation.)  UVL fading could also be a possibility, as the the magenta and yellow fade first I believe.

1 minute ago, divad said:

It looks like a printing ink error, but certainly not an uncommon one, or an intentional one.  I would guess that the cover only received the cyan and black inks and missed out on the magenta and yellow. I am surprised that the back cover for this book doesn't exhibit the same color scheme (but someone with more printing knowledge than me will chime in with an explanation.)  UVL fading could also be a possibility, as the the magenta and yellow fade first I believe.

Thank you divad. That's why I included photos of the inside cover and the back. Strange to me it would just be the front cover...

4 hours ago, Acegraphix said:

Any other experienced thoughts on this? Thank you.

This is sunfade Ace. If it were a printing error the missing ink would be on the back cover too. You can see at the bottom right and just under the barcode the remnants of red ink. These were probably obscured while the book sat in direct sunlight for a while.

The ink showing under the barcode may have been where a price sticker sat while the book was bagged. The bottom right could be an overlap from another book or sellotape where it was stuck on a wall.

It's a defect alas and reduces the value accordingly. I've owned scores of genuine misprinted comics. This is not one I'm afraid. 

10 minutes ago, Acegraphix said:

Thank you very much all! I appreciate your time and expertise. Makes sense with your in-depth explanation Get Marwood & I. 

You're welcome. Here's a thread with some genuine misprints. You should go straight to a post with an ASM 174 which shows how the print error affects front and back: