• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little help? How high can I grade a book with a detached centerfold?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

I am selling a Superman 199 (1st Supes/Flash race) on the bay.  It has a detached center but otherwise solid.  I am selling it for a friend who I have known for 40 years and has been collecting for over 30.  He just isn't a grading guy.  I have it up as a vg+.  I didn't feel right putting anything over a vg on this, but I want to do the guy right.  It isn't a huge book, maybe 50-60 dollars, but the sold prices fluctuate wildly.  Any help would be appreciated.

It all depends on the severity of the detachment and how many folds are affected. If the paper is torn at the site of detachment the book will be downgraded for the tears also. It also depends if the centerfold is detached at one staple or both. A book in the 5.5 - 6.5 range can have a centerfold detached at one staple.  The book really has to be nice to get a higher grade. I would not disagree with the assessment of a 4.5 for a book with general wear but completely detached at the centerfold.

I have one CGC book at 6.0 with detached centerfold. It tucked inside quite good, showing slightly out.

Which rise the question: how much impact if the centerfold is restored back with staples folded? I'm sure it would come as "quiftied" but how much?

29 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

I have one CGC book at 6.0 with detached centerfold. It tucked inside quite good, showing slightly out.

Which rise the question: how much impact if the centerfold is restored back with staples folded? I'm sure it would come as "quiftied" but how much?

I finally found a site that had some Overstreet grading standards.  It shows 3.5-4.5 may be detached at one staple.  So I was in the ballpark. 

Thanks to all for the responses. 

4 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

I finally found a site that had some Overstreet grading standards.  It shows 3.5-4.5 may be detached at one staple.  So I was in the ballpark. 

Thanks to all for the responses. 

I have an X-Men #50... the cover is detached at 1 staple... so is 3.5-4.5 the grade for it too?

If so I probably overpaid... when I found out that it a was detached at 1 staple I never sent it in to cgc to find out. :(

51 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have an X-Men #50... the cover is detached at 1 staple... so is 3.5-4.5 the grade for it too?

If so I probably overpaid... when I found out that it a was detached at 1 staple I never sent it in to cgc to find out. :(

It sounds like Overstreet and CGC have different standards. 

2 minutes ago, mrc said:

strange advent 210z600.jpg

I guess it depends on how you, or others, value the green label vs the blue. 

7 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

If you reatteched and bent staples would it still be qualified or purple?

6 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

I would dread a green label... but who knows when I'll send it in, I'll probably post in spare a grade whenever I get around to it...

8 minutes ago, comicstock said:

When i grade, a detached centerfold will get no better than a 3.5.  One detached staple no better than a 4.5.

Shouldn't you be bailing out your basement? 

43 minutes ago, kav said:

If you reatteched and bent staples would it still be qualified or purple?

I have often wondered that.  Is it that difficult to do that and have it go undetected by graders? 

Surely, easier to do and sell raw for a bump. 

4 minutes ago, OdinsSecrets said:

Here are a couple other examples from Heritage:

image.thumb.png.7568f4a467137e2d1980302292b15c92.png

image.png.881f33ecf19a4f0e1e787150fc89c36a.png

Whoa - a 9.2 blue label - that is one for the books!

Edited by lizards2
But only one staple!

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

Whoa - a 9.2 blue label - that is one for the books!

Yup, I think 7.5 is probably CGC's max on a fully detatched CF, looks like 1 staple detatched can consistently get up to 9.2 at least in old label books, there are a number of example on HA.com.

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Ns=Grade+Number|1&Ne=1090&N=790+231+52+1096+1095&Ntt=detatched+centerfold&ic4=SortBy-071515