• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC label changes through the years - a visual guide
3 3

75 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Interestingly, I received three old label slabs last week, and they were pretty much falling apart.  The glue had hardened or whatever, and the inner wells were pretty much falling out the bottom of the outer wells.  I did some careful examination, but no tampering.  And they were purchased from a dealer of high repute.

Interesting that after close to 20 years the original holders would show such ware, I have a few that I'll have to check on!

45 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Interestingly, I received three old label slabs last week, and they were pretty much falling apart.  The glue had hardened or whatever, and the inner wells were pretty much falling out the bottom of the outer wells.  I did some careful examination, but no tampering.  And they were purchased from a dealer of high repute.

Interesting that after close to 20 years the original holders would show such ware, I have a few that I'll have to check on!

My immediate reaction was poor storage conditions.

18 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I was taught never to kiss and tell. :whistle:

My post got removed and I got strike points 😂

At least you have a sense of humor LoL 😂

I guess messing with that old well had more than one consequence :devil:

Edited by KryptoSpidey

On 2/12/2020 at 10:08 AM, lizards2 said:

I have about 4 dozen original label CCG's. Sent the majority of them in myself between early 2000 - early 2001, none have the issue you describe. However I do recall seeing one at dealers table 2 years back like you mentioned. Makes me wonder what conditions cause that so it can be avoided

I do notice on a fair number of my original and older large number that the label on the top of the slabs starts to come off.  Not a problem as little rubber cement takes care of it perfectly and any excess is easily and gently removed. Purchased a 1st gen slab  recently and neglected to ask the seller if the top label was still attached, sure enough when I got the book it was not there.

BTW:  I feel the terms: "Original CGC"  "CGC Large Number Label for Universal Grades" and "CGC Universal Label - in use since 2016" while nicely descriptive are a bit clunky.  For my own inventory purposes I've taken to calling them

- 1st Gen CGC label
- 1st Gen CGC Modern label
- 2nd Gen CGC label
- 3rd Gen CGC label

Edited by 35CentEra

10 hours ago, 35CentEra said:

Makes me wonder what conditions cause that so it can be avoided

Well, they came from coastalish east coast, so I would guess poor storage, humidity and/or pollution.

39 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Just out of curiosity, did anyone like the first two generation labels? You pretty much have to have 20/1 vision to read the numbers to enter a book in the Registry.

I very much liked the 1st Gen label, but I don't use the Registry much. When holding a book up close I think it's the nicest looking of the labels, but it has the most obvious downsides for things like convention wall browsing.

3 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:
44 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Just out of curiosity, did anyone like the first two generation labels? You pretty much have to have 20/1 vision to read the numbers to enter a book in the Registry.

I very much liked the 1st Gen label, but I don't use the Registry much. When holding a book up close I think it's the nicest looking of the labels, but it has the most obvious downsides for things like convention wall browsing.

or even after paying on websites, the 1st gen label can be hard to read, while you're waiting for delivery and adding to the registry to tide you over. But as far as simplicity, I like the 1st gen :) 

14 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

while you're waiting for delivery and adding to the registry to tide you over.

It really is funny--I almost never use the Registry. A very small number of my CGC books have even been entered to my Registry account; I just forget it exists for long stretches of time. Maybe because I don't have any sets worth registering?

1 minute ago, bpc3qh said:
16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

while you're waiting for delivery and adding to the registry to tide you over.

It really is funny--I almost never use the Registry. A very small number of my CGC books have even been entered to my Registry account; I just forget it exists for long stretches of time. Maybe because I don't have any sets worth registering?

lol I know how you feel. I actually discovered the registry before the boards, in 2015, but didn't add anything. Then I did discover the boards, but didn't add any books to the registry still until like 2018 ha.

I don't expect to have too awesome a registry, I like what I have though :) 

What I mainly use it for is there's a place for pics of all you're books, or when you enter a book you can add pics.

Long and short of it is, having all the pics of the slabs there, I don't have to go dig a book out to look at it. Or wonder if I had that book and lose track and go looking through boxes.

Basically it helps with record keeping, as long as, you delete books from your registry when you no longer own :foryou: 

7 hours ago, electricprune said:

I do like the simple clean look of the 1st Gen - a lot. However I can see how from business perspective why the 2nd gen and 3rd gen CGC's labels are usually preferred. 

Edited by 35CentEra

How set were the dates of these label?

I found a comic with the post-April 2016 label, but the registry says it was slabbed in October 2015. So the date of the slab and label don't match up.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

On 5/11/2022 at 11:21 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

How set were the dates of these label?

I found a comic with the post-April 2016 label, but the registry says it was slabbed in October 2015. So the date of the slab and label don't match up.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

Are you asking when the current label started? It was June 2016.

If you're finding one graded earlier than that with the current label, it is possible that it was reholdered