• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The battle for Chicago 2019 3 conventions Now

4 posts in this topic

c2e2 Mar 22-25 

Ace/Comic revolution  Hitting the Stephans convention center ,  wizard home base , June 1,2 

Wizard world aug 22-25 , 

Wow , whats a dealer to do? 3 major cons in a 6 month period?  Seriously, This year business was great, but definite signs these shows are starting to canabalize each other 

Meanwhile the table fees keep going up and the customer base is fractured deciding where to go …. 

2018 was conflict crazy and 2019 looks to be the same or worse … 

Ouch 

The first Ace show is coming up in a few weeks and the celebrity guest list is packed with stars of comic book movies. If I cared about that sort of thing, I'd be excited. But the autograph prices are off the charts. (Chris Evans is $200 or $250 for a photo opp depending on whether or not you want him to carry a shield! Yes, it's $50 more with the shield.)

As a dealer -- though not as a big-time dealer who would be doing these shows -- I just think to myself, "How much money do the attendees have to spend at any one time? And between autographs/photo ops/admission/parking/food, do they have any money available to actually buy comics?" 

I did the ace Long Island . One of the worst shows I ever did , while they did have Cavill, Godot , and More of the Jla the autograph prices were ridiculous 

Dealers room was a ghost town most of the show, I agree that these High dollar celebs draw  so much money out of the room while the dealers subsidy their appearences  , Unfortunately, however, there are going to be people who are going to making choice which shows to attend, a 3rd show right between ww and c2e2 I think will hurt both

28 minutes ago, Golden Memories said:

I did the ace Long Island . One of the worst shows I ever did , while they did have Cavill, Godot , and More of the Jla the autograph prices were ridiculous 

Dealers room was a ghost town most of the show, I agree that these High dollar celebs draw  so much money out of the room while the dealers subsidy their appearences  , Unfortunately, however, there are going to be people who are going to making choice which shows to attend, a 3rd show right between ww and c2e2 I think will hurt both

It hurts WW more, I’d think. C2E2 is established and earlier than both, so it should get whatever dollars it was going to get anyway.