• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ebay farce of the day. Photo of Detective 27s on a shelf... $5000.00

230 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It is, but nowhere near $5000 cool + $35 for postage.

And he's wrong. It's not the only period newsstand, rack, or shelf picture of Detective 27 or Action 1 in existence, if he's going by that fallicy to justify his insane price.

Have you seen others?  Only asking because I'd love to see them.  I've only seen the often-posted photoshopped image of several Action 1s on a newsstand.

1 hour ago, nearmint said:

Have you seen others?  Only asking because I'd love to see them.  I've only seen the often-posted photoshopped image of several Action 1s on a newsstand.

Yes. I have seen them. Now I wish I saved the pictures because I could copy them and I'd have a million dollar ebay inventory with a net worth of the paper and ink used to make them.

5 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

newsstand-Action-1.jpg.41678273a17c1989095f9c6c5c18e7e1.jpg.80ebc46b4175db5b2654a09432bba60c.jpg

Is this photo faked? that's a bummer

Even taking into consideration the slightly skewed perspective with the Action 1s in the foreground, if size accurate, each comic would be the height of the distance from the man's waist to mid-shoulder, even bigger than Treasury Edition sized.

8 hours ago, nearmint said:

Real pics of Det 27, Action 1, Marvel 1 and many more are on the net. You just have to spend the time looking for them deep into the pages of images that load on such searches as, Newsstand comics 1938, Newsstand comic books 1939, Vintage photos of candy stores, etc., etc. One night off, years ago, I ran about 50 related keyword searches, reviewing page and page of image results. The pictures are there, just a matter of researching and putting the time in.

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Real pics of Det 27, Action 1, Marvel 1 and many more are on the net. You just have to spend the time looking for them deep into the pages of images that load on such searches as, Newsstand comics 1938, Newsstand comic books 1939, Vintage photos of candy stores, etc., etc. One night off, years ago, I ran about 50 related keyword searches, reviewing page and page of image results. The pictures are there, just a matter of researching and putting the time in.

I’ve seen a pic with Marvel #1, but never Action #1 or Tec 27.  They always end up being photoshopped.  If anyone has them, please post them!

Really how would you price something like this? No past sales data to go buy so I see nothing wrong with listing.

If I were seller and not sure how to price it I would start high but have it on auction. Then if it doesn't sell relist at BIN with best offer. 

We have certainly boosted his views.

Edited by lhcomics

10 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I really doubt your claim.  No one else has ever found them.  And many have looked and shared the fruits of their labor on this thread:

Edited by sfcityduck

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

I really doubt your claim.  No one else has ever found them.  And many have looked and shared the fruits of their labor on this thread:

2542420100_ea60a3c947.jpg

Of course you're doubtful. Expressing doubt, and being a naysayer and contrarian is simply par for the course for anyone who for some unfathomable reason feels unnecessarily threatened by someone who may know something that they don't. I would expect nothing less than that exact reaction from you! I was waiting for it!    :golfclap: 

Fact is, you can find pictures containing just about every comic by Timely/Marvel or DC printed. First, it's a matter of finding the pictures, and then meticulously identifying each and every comic in that photo,  sometimes using enhancement in the process. As stated, it can be painstaking to find them, but they exist. Perhaps doing more research, and putting it to the test, if you actually look for yourself, before inferring that I'm a liar and these pictures don't exist (as if you've seen every existing vintage photo of every newsstand and comic book every taken), might convince you of otherwise. But that's only if indeed you were willing to admit that anything I write is more than anecdotal, which I'm sure would pose a major barrier for you to breach.