• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ebay farce of the day. Photo of Detective 27s on a shelf... $5000.00

230 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Of course you're doubtful. Expressing doubt, and being a naysayer and contrarian is simply par for the course for anyone who for some unfathomable reason feels unnecessarily threatened by someone who may know something that they don't. I would expect nothing less than that exact reaction from you! I was waiting for it!    :golfclap: 

Fact is, you can find pictures containing just about every comic by Timely/Marvel or DC printed. First, it's a matter of finding the pictures, and then meticulously identifying each and every comic in that photo,  sometimes using enhancement in the process. As stated, it can be painstaking to find them, but they exist. Perhaps doing more research, and putting it to the test, if you actually look for yourself, before inferring that I'm a liar and these pictures don't exist (as if you've seen every existing vintage photo of every newsstand and comic book every taken), might convince you of otherwise. But that's only if indeed you were willing to admit that anything I write is more than anecdotal, which I'm sure would pose a major barrier for you to breach.

That's a lot of words to admit that you can't find or link to such a picture.  Don't feel bad, after 83 pages of posts on the Newsstand thread, no one else could either - despite doing exactly what you are describing.  

It's ok to admit when you are wrong.  It enhances credibility, not erodes it.  On the other hand, stubbornly insisting that the Earth is flat, with no supporting evidence, does do damage to how others view your judgement.

Frankly, you should be taking a victory lap for bringing to everyone's attention the first photo of a D27 in the wild that anyone's ever seen.  I, for one, am ready to give you serious kudos for that.  It is a very neat picture!  (I agree with you completely it is over priced.)   Not sure why you are claiming that your discovery is nothing special.  It is special.

11 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Even taking into consideration the slightly skewed perspective with the Action 1s in the foreground, if size accurate, each comic would be the height of the distance from the man's waist to mid-shoulder, even bigger than Treasury Edition sized.

People were smaller back then.

Depression-era diet stunted growth.

True story.

12 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

That's a lot of words to admit that you can't find or link to such a picture.  Don't feel bad, after 83 pages of posts on the Newsstand thread, no one else could either - despite doing exactly what you are describing.  

It's ok to admit when you are wrong.  It enhances credibility, not erodes it.  On the other hand, stubbornly insisting that the Earth is flat, with no supporting evidence, does do damage to how others view your judgement.

Frankly, you should be taking a victory lap for bringing to everyone's attention the first photo of a D27 in the wild that anyone's ever seen.  I, for one, am ready to give you serious kudos for that.  It is a very neat picture!  (I agree with you completely it is over priced.)   Not sure why you are claiming that your discovery is nothing special.  It is special.

10-15 years ago, when I had a night with nothing to do and decided to take a close look at any vintage photos that directly or indirectly captured a newsstand or home photos with kids holding or near comics, I didn't think it anything special. It wasn't a project and it didn't even start out as looking for comics. I was looking at old photos of major cities, saw some newsstands, and that became my focus, "hmmm.. what can I find?". Some of the pictures had nothing to do with a newsstand and showed up on searches for vintage photos other than newsstand keyword searches.

Being one to always take things at face value from their source, your easily predictable and historically combative and derogatory, ongoing comments about my character are fully expected and not a motivating force to spur me to repeat my hours of searching to prove anything here to you. Proving myself right is obviously not as important to me as proving me wrong is to you. Tell us that you don't claim to have seen every picture with comics ever shot. Because if that's your claim, there's no need to discuss this further.   

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

This is the closest I think you'll ever get to seeing a picture of an Action 1 in the wild during the GA

Comics 1946-2

Comics 1946

I think I see an Action #1 at the bottom of the stack in front!

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

10-15 years ago, when I had a night with nothing to do and decided to take a close look at any vintage photos that directly or indirectly captured a newsstand or home photos with kids holding or near comics, I didn't think it anything special. It wasn't a project and it didn't even start out as looking for comics. I was looking at old photos of major cities, saw some newsstands, and that became my focus, "hmmm.. what can I find?". Some of the pictures had nothing to do with a newsstand and showed up on searches for vintage photos other than newsstand keyword searches.

Being one to always take things at face value from their source, your easily predictable and historically combative and derogatory, ongoing comments about my character are fully expected and not a motivating force to spur me to repeat my hours of searching to prove anything here to you. Proving myself right is obviously not as important to me as proving me wrong is to you. Tell us that you don't claim to have seen every picture with comics ever shot. Because if that's your claim, there's no need to discuss this further.   

You seem combative for someone claiming that they don't care about being perceived as incorrect. That's just my 2c.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You seem combative for someone claiming that they don't care about being perceived as incorrect. That's just my 2c.

Couldn't be farther from the truth. You're mistaking candid pragmatism for combativeness.

Ducks will be ducks, as I've so learned in other threads where I've posted. It's foolish to expect otherwise..

Edited by James J Johnson

Just now, James J Johnson said:

Couldn't be farther from the truth. You're mistaking candid pragmatism for combativeness.

I think that you care more than you're letting on. Otherwise you wouldn't be spending non-refundable time typing out paragraphs to someone who's opinion you seemingly claim that you "couldn't care less about". Again, my 2c.

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

10-15 years ago, when I had a night with nothing to do and decided to take a close look at any vintage photos that directly or indirectly captured a newsstand or home photos with kids holding or near comics,

Well, in 10 years of searching, starting in 2008, no boardie who has looked for such pictures for purposes of the Newsstand thread (including myself) has ever found a picture of an Action 1 or, I believe, a D27.  

I'm not questioning your character, I am questioning your claim you've seen pictures of Action 1 and D27 on newsstands and, by extension, your memory of your 10-15 year old search.  Again, a picture of a D27 in the wild is a special thing, and I appreciate that you brought it our attention.  I still don't know why you are refusing to acknowledge your memory of what you've seen on the internet might be mistaken (or perhaps you saw photoshops).  

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Well, in 10 years of searching, starting in 2008, no boardie who has looked for such pictures for purposes of the Newsstand thread (including myself) has ever found a picture of an Action 1 or, I believe, a D27.  

I'm not questioning your character, I am questioning your claim you've seen pictures of Action 1 and D27 on newsstands and, by extension, your memory of your 10-15 year old search.  Again, a picture of a D27 in the wild is a special thing, and I appreciate that you brought it our attention.  I still don't know why you are refusing to acknowledge your memory of what you've seen on the internet might be mistaken (or perhaps you saw photoshops).  

What do you think is more likely; He saw photo-shopped images, or he saw Dranzer?

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I can attest that memory is incredibly flaky.  I had a complete vivid memory history of my life-then I read through my diaries and what I remembered was 70% fiction.  It was and is so vivid, though!

6 minutes ago, kav said:

I can attest that memory is incredibly flaky.  I had a complete vivid memory history of my life-then I read through my diaries and what I remembered was 70% fiction.  It was and is so vivid, though!

Like that time you got Chucks autograph? :baiting:

:jokealert:

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Like that time you got Chucks autograph? :baiting:

:jokealert:

lol if I was gonna fabricate an autograph-getting-it wouldnt be chuck rozanski!!

25 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I think that you care more than you're letting on. Otherwise you wouldn't be spending non-refundable time typing out paragraphs to someone who's opinion you seemingly claim that you "couldn't care less about". Again, my 2c.

So you're saying that the level of how much I care is important enough to you to waste time mentioning it? And that posts shouldn't be made unless you're ready to go all in, mind, body, and soul? How emotionally invested are you in determining the level of my emotional investment in this thread?  :screwy:   I ask, because I can save you a lot of time trying to determine that level. It's the same as Blutarsky's grade point average. Zero point Zero! :acclaim:

Edited by James J Johnson

9 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

So you're saying that the level of how much I care is important enough to you to waste time mentioning it? And that posts shouldn't be made unless you're ready to go all in, mind, body, and soul? How emotionally invested are you in determining the level of my emotional investment in this thread?  :screwy:   I ask, because I can save you a lot of time trying to determine that level. It's the same as Blutarsky's grade point average. Zero point Zero! :acclaim:

Wow, you put way too much time and effort into this response.

(shrug)