• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was this discussed? A new Marvel Comics #1 CGC 9.0?

28 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I know Mr. Bedrock sold a very high grade copy, maybe a ped a year or so ago. I don't think it was quite this high though. 

I think Mr. Bedrocks was a 6.0 ?    Does anyone know if the 9.0 is an October copy ? 

50 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Thx Rob. It’s astounding to me there are three 9.0 Universal with basically a defunct title after the first issue and characters that didn’t transcend into the 50’’s like Supes and Bats 

25 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Thx Rob. It’s astounding to me there are three 9.0 Universal with basically a defunct title after the first issue and characters that didn’t transcend into the 50’’s like Supes and Bats 

Plus the Church copy!

On 9/20/2018 at 3:28 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Thx Rob. It’s astounding to me there are three 9.0 Universal with basically a defunct title after the first issue

How did it become defunct after the first issue?

On 9/19/2018 at 6:29 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Haven’t seen anything on  it here in the boards. Very cool. What’s the History on this copy ?  Highest graded copy ??

John Verzyl used to own the Denver.  He traded it when buying the Church copy.

I owned it till 2012 when I sold it to John (bought for a client).

Not sure what happened after that.

I always thought it was the third best book as the writing on the Pay Copy, though historic, makes the book look ugly.

9 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 9/19/2018 at 4:28 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Thx Rob. It’s astounding to me there are three 9.0 Universal with basically a defunct title after the first issue

How did it become defunct after the first issue?

Marvel Comics changed to "Marvel Mystery Comics" starting with issue #2.  Not really a defunct title as people usually think of the term.

7 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Marvel Comics changed to "Marvel Mystery Comics" starting with issue #2.  Not really a defunct title as people usually think of the term.

Agreed. Timely's flagship title. Goodman changed it from MC to MMC. Perhaps he liked the longer title to go with his popular pulp title Marvel Science Fiction. 

10 hours ago, Primetime said:

Agreed. Timely's flagship title. Goodman changed it from MC to MMC. Perhaps he liked the longer title to go with his popular pulp title Marvel Science Fiction. 

Apparently the benefits of Goodman establishing a visual trademark by aligning his Marvel Mystery Comics flagship title with the earlier design of his Red Circle Marvel Science Stories pulp SF line occurred to him over several issues, not being fully realized until the third issue...

f4f1ef69-b1e5-4c23-86e1-cd4ac7bb54b5_zps

9da70fc5-6b5c-4aac-bcae-dda3a3c61906_zps

img_MarvelScience1_172.jpg

12 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Apparently the benefits of Goodman establishing a visual trademark by aligning his Marvel Mystery Comics flagship title with the earlier design of his Red Circle Marvel Science Stories pulp SF line occurred to him over several issues, not being fully realized until the third issue...

f4f1ef69-b1e5-4c23-86e1-cd4ac7bb54b5_zps

9da70fc5-6b5c-4aac-bcae-dda3a3c61906_zps

img_MarvelScience1_172.jpg

Agreed. Most notably the slanted "Marvel" logo font.