• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is the Tales to Astonish series so undervalued?
3 3

28 posts in this topic

I love Tales To Astonish, and have read every issue. 

I can't agree that the stories are great. I'll be diplomatic and say the stories and art are inconsistant. I do think that every SA collector worth their salt should covet key books like 27, 35, 44, 49, 60 (way underappreciated book), 70, and 90 (personal fav)! 

As far as value, I don't think they're too far out of whack; there are many contemporary Marvels that are similarly priced. Just not blockbuster titles like ASM and FF!

Edited by KirbyJack

15 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I can't agree that the stories are great. I'll be diplomatic and say the stories and art are inconsistant. I do think that every SA collector worth their salt should covet key books like 27, 35, 44, 49, 60 (way underappreciated book), 70, and 90 (personal fav)! 

As far as value, I don't think they're too far out of whack; there are many contemporary Marvels that are similarly priced. Just not blockbuster titles like ASM and FF!

I picked up a VG/FN copy of #77 today for $14. This should be considered a key....first time Banner is outed as the Hulk!

57 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Don't forget Groot!

tta_13.jpg

It’s rare I would disagree with KirbyJack, but I think TTA from #60 onwards was really solid. I’d consider the Human Torch stories in Strange Tales not so great; unfortunately a lot of the Giant Man stories in TTA had the same sort of goofy, half-baked scripting. Once the Sub-Mariner began in #70, the whole book was off and running. Both the Subby and Hulk stories have the classic 60s Marvel-type storytelling charm that drew me into comics in the first place.

Why are they worth not so much? They’re not Spider-Man. Outside of the early biggies, there aren’t any key issues that tie into the MCU or current storylines. And run collectors are a dying breed.

11 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

It’s rare I would disagree with KirbyJack, but I think TTA from #60 onwards was really solid. I’d consider the Human Torch stories in Strange Tales not so great; unfortunately a lot of the Giant Man stories in TTA had the same sort of goofy, half-baked scripting. Once the Sub-Mariner began in #70, the whole book was off and running. Both the Subby and Hulk stories have the classic 60s Marvel-type storytelling charm that drew me into comics in the first place.

Why are they worth not so much? They’re not Spider-Man. Outside of the early biggies, there aren’t any key issues that tie into the MCU or current storylines. And run collectors are a dying breed.

I agree with all of this. The Hulk stories are consistently pretty good. The Subby stuff is good too. #70 is definitely underappreciated, as is #60. But the books are also fairly common, with a smaller collector base. 

22 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Great art by great artists. Great stories that are key. Yet I can still walk into my old comic book shop and pick up a raw copy for $10-$20. Just don't get it, will they ever spike at some point in value?

It is odd that you can buy a solid copy of a 1960s book with many Marvel stalwarts on the cover and pay less than you would for a brand new book featuring the same characters.

I have always dug this title! I enjoy all areas of it, pre hero, Antman, Antman w/ Wasp, Giantman, Subby & Hulk ... so much variety in one title. It would seem that in the beginning of the hero issues that this title didn't get as much attention as some of the others, but I like it because it IS different. Those early books (27, 35-42) are some that I particularly enjoy! I love the round 10 & 12 cent cover price & the mix of hero and pre-heroish stories. I am doing my best to take advantage of the fact that they are still very affordable. 

Here's one that I was thrilled to get! I know most here don't like books with restoration, but this would've cost 4-5 times as much as it did if the label was blue. It's staying in there, so I get the same appearance with very minor work for a bargain. :luhv:

Screenshot_20181211-063948.png