• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do they do reprint TPBs of vintage comics?

9 posts in this topic

I have the Will Elder complete collection Mad 1-23 and how do they get the image so clear?  It cant be just photostats from the books can it?  Do they have access to the old plates?  what?

6 hours ago, kav said:

I have the Will Elder complete collection Mad 1-23 and how do they get the image so clear?  It cant be just photostats from the books can it?  Do they have access to the old plates?  what?

Good question. Especially when you hear about so much original art being thrown out. 

4 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Good question. Especially when you hear about so much original art being thrown out. 

This has baffled me for years.  I hope someone knows the answer.

18 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

Let's not forget "Theakstonizing" or "Theakstonization"...basically destroying old comics by taking them apart and bleaching the color out of the pages in an attempt to approximate the original line art, which can then be manipulated, re-colored, and reprinted...

Yup. That’s mentioned on the web page I referenced, but I was surprised to learn that the process was little more than simply bleaching.

Far less technical than I’d previously assumed.

Used on DC’s ‘Greatest’ Superman / Batman / Joker / Golden Age books.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Pretty simple in the case of MAD #1-23. They had the original art. Bill Gaines kept it all. Before it was broken up and sold, it was scanned for the Russ Cochran's reprints. 

On other GA books where the art no longer exists, original comics were disassembled, scanned and "cleaned up". Not the best way to do it but they work with what they have available.