• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prop Store Auction
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Because I'm such a comic art nut, I've put the Prop Store live auction on while I do my morning internet stuff. I have to say I'm kind of impressed with what I'm watching. A lot of nice props are getting bids & the video seems to come across clear. It looks like these guys have their act together. I hope their comic art lots do well & we see them get into it more next year.

Anyone else watching/bidding?

Its well paced. And some pretty cool stuff. I picked up the Zeck Batman pinup at the reserve on an absentee bid, but the early Flash page had only three bids come through to GBP 42,500. That didn't make the low end of the GBP 45k estimate, and there was some mumbling so I couldn't tell if it sold or if it passed. But an Evil Dead II clapperboard from 1986 had an estimate of GBP600 and went for GBP 6k...wow. Lots of other great props and costumes. Entertaining and a well run auction.

They definately do things different to some other auctions I have been at, as on a lot of lots they are taking bids (supposidly) from floor bidders upto the estimate and then waiting for actual bidders to bid from thst point on.

Personally I would prefer the transparency of just starting the bidding from the reserve and not making out that floor bidders are taking the price up from the actual price up to the reserve.

10 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

the early Flash page had only three bids come through to GBP 42,500. That didn't make the low end of the GBP 45k estimate, and there was some mumbling so I couldn't tell if it sold or if it passed.

The Flash did not sell and although the auctioneer showed that he was taking floor bids (which raised the price up to the estimate), in fact no one was bidding in the room.

Edited by John S.

2 minutes ago, John S. said:

The flash did not sell and although he showed that he was taking floor bids (which raised he price up to the estimate), in fact no one was bidding in the room.

Here at the auction as well and I agree that is what appeared to happen.

Edited by t3quila

My big question regarding this auction was whether any prop collectors would feel a desire to dabble in comic art, or would these lots go to art collectors? My gut said it would be art collectors, and that seems to be the case so far.

Good luck to the boardies who are bidding. If the reserves aren't punitive, I think you might pick up a bargain or two!

1 minute ago, DJRome said:

My big question regarding this auction was whether any prop collectors would feel a desire to dabble in comic art, or would these lots go to art collectors? My gut said it would be art collectors, and that seems to be the case so far.

Good luck to the boardies who are bidding. If the reserves aren't punitive, I think you might pick up a bargain or two!

They have a great setup here showcasing the items to those at the auction, with some of the original art presented very well amongst other props. Whilst I would love to see some cross over happening, it doesn't look like it has.

19 minutes ago, John S. said:

The Flash did not sell and although the auctioneer showed that he was taking floor bids (which raised the price up to the estimate), in fact no one was bidding in the room.

As always, if you know the OA market specific to the pieces you're interested in, you won't be deceived by shill bids. But on the surface, that is a bit shady.

So one of the lots I won resulted in clapping from the audience. I think this means I have either arrived, or overpaid ;)

Took down two of the lots I had my eye on. And now the post-auction "should have bid more" is setting in.

I do find it somewhat odd watching the auctioneer run every lot just under the low estimate, which I assume is the reserve. If you are bidding via phone and not watching this you could get coaxed into a bid thinking you are actually bidding against others and not a reserve. 

Edited by cstojano

Just now, jjonahjameson11 said:

Has the auction for the Ditko Spidey page concluded?

Doesn't look like it.

Says "starting bid 47,500 pounds" and then "current absentee: 60,000 pounds"