• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Con Revolution Chicago — June 1-2, 2019
1 1

54 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2018 at 3:19 PM, jsilverjanet said:

yes interesting indeed. I thought no other comics shows could be held at the convention center due to the agreement with Wizard. Or did I dream that?

I don't think big convention centers do that sort of thing. I mean, if they need to fill up space, they'll look to wherever they can get a tenant. Keystone here in Philly is in the same place as WW Philly, for example. 

The other thing that's shocking is the number of new shows that are using "Comic Con" in their name. After Salt Lake City Comic Con lost their lawsuit against SDCC, I assumed that other events (especially new ones) would follow. I guess Comic Con Revolution did not get the memo.

https://fox13now.com/2018/08/24/the-convention-formerly-known-as-salt-lake-comic-con-loses-another-round-in-copyright-battle/

1 hour ago, RCheli said:

The other thing that's shocking is the number of new shows that are using "Comic Con" in their name. After Salt Lake City Comic Con lost their lawsuit against SDCC, I assumed that other events (especially new ones) would follow. I guess Comic Con Revolution did not get the memo.

https://fox13now.com/2018/08/24/the-convention-formerly-known-as-salt-lake-comic-con-loses-another-round-in-copyright-battle/

The Denver show changed it's name to Pop Culture Show, so that is probably related to that decision.

7 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Wonder if this will be the comic/art concentric :blush: Ultimate/Torpedo convention of Rosemont/Chicago?

It’d be sweet if it was. I guess we’ll wait and see who signs up to be a dealer at this show. If it wasn’t two weeks prior to SDCC it might be easier to catch folks enroute. 

Edited by mysterio

11 hours ago, mysterio said:

If it wasn’t two weeks prior to SDCC it might be easier to catch folks enroute. 

SDCC is usually in July, not June so 6 weeks apart. Does a corner or premium booth usually come with only 1 8 foot table instead of 2?

6 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

SDCC is usually in July, not June so 6 weeks apart. Does a corner or premium booth usually come with only 1 8 foot table instead of 2?

doh! I guess I need to actually read the calendars I check for this stuff...

As for the tables at a corner, it depends on the show. It’s not that unusual to only supply one, and it keeps costs down, but it’s a bit of a pain if you’re bringing a lot of table stock. 

5 hours ago, mysterio said:

hm

Seriously considering checking this one out. If nothing else I’ll get to visit one of my favorite cities. 

I want to see which dealers set up at the show. If some of the national ones attend, it may be worth it to check it out (thumbsu

Just now, TheWatcher said:

I want to see which dealers set up at the show. If some of the national ones attend, it may be worth it to check it out (thumbsu

My thoughts exactly. Table cost is about a third of Wizard, but of course it’s also just Sat-Sun. It’s going to be interesting to see how this shapes up. 

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

doh! Just realized that this is the same weekend as Denver. That show is excellent, so my decision is made. I do hope this show does well and has potential to be the eventual summer replacement for Wizard that Chicago deserves. 

Just curious as to why you think Wizard "deserves" to go out of business.  I only set up at 2 of their shows (Chicago & Columbus) but everyone I deal with is more than professional and they seem to care about the product they produce and the industry in general.  $$$ wise I can't complain on how well I do.  Would I like costs lower...sure, who wouldn't.  Are there some aspects that that I don't care for....yeah, I'm old school but times change and so must conventions I reckon.  A strong health Wizard means a strong health comics market so I wish them only the best even when at some point I eventually will no longer do shows.  That's just me....to each his own....

1 hour ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Just curious as to why you think Wizard "deserves" to go out of business.  I only set up at 2 of their shows (Chicago & Columbus) but everyone I deal with is more than professional and they seem to care about the product they produce and the industry in general.  $$$ wise I can't complain on how well I do.  Would I like costs lower...sure, who wouldn't.  Are there some aspects that that I don't care for....yeah, I'm old school but times change and so must conventions I reckon.  A strong health Wizard means a strong health comics market so I wish them only the best even when at some point I eventually will no longer do shows.  That's just me....to each his own....

I don’t believe I said or implied that Wizard deserves to go out of business (I said Chicago deserves a great show). I have attended many of their shows and WW Chicago has been a jewel on their schedule. That being said, Wizard has long been shifting away from comics, and their business plan going forward is apparently doubling down on that strategy. 

As a fan of both comic shows and Chicago I just want to see this town continue to have a marquee comic show. That may continue to be Wizard. If not, I’d like to see someone else step up to fill that void. 

Edited by mysterio

11 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I don’t believe I said or implied that Wizard should go out of business. I have attended many of their shows and WW Chicago has been a jewel on their schedule. That being said, Wizard has long been shifting away from comics, and their business plan going forward is apparently doubling down on that strategy. 

As a fan of both comic shows and Chicago I just want to see this town continue to have a marquee comic show. That may continue to be Wizard. If not, I’d like to see someone else step up to fill that void. 

Sounds reasonable!  

Wizard Columbus is a shadow of it's former self.  If one were going for just comics...maybe not the show to attend (although they sold well for me).

Chicago on the other hand....still has plenty of competition for comics and related material....maybe not like 10 years ago but unless one's collecting habits are extremely narrow I can't imagine walking away from this weekend without a great haul!  In the very little time I had to walk around (booth comes first!) I still bought more than I should have!

I don't see a shift from that anytime soon.....at least for the type of stuff I like to purchase....

43 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Sounds reasonable!  

Wizard Columbus is a shadow of it's former self.  If one were going for just comics...maybe not the show to attend (although they sold well for me).

Chicago on the other hand....still has plenty of competition for comics and related material....maybe not like 10 years ago but unless one's collecting habits are extremely narrow I can't imagine walking away from this weekend without a great haul!  In the very little time I had to walk around (booth comes first!) I still bought more than I should have!

I don't see a shift from that anytime soon.....at least for the type of stuff I like to purchase....

I wasn’t able to make it to WW Chicago this year, the first I’ve missed in about 5 years. I’ve always spent every penny I’ve brought with me on great books. From what I’ve heard about the show there were fewer of the smaller local dealers this year, which is a step in the wrong direction. Also, news from Wizard itself is that their focus is evolving going forward. That doesn’t bode well. 

10 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I wasn’t able to make it to WW Chicago this year, the first I’ve missed in about 5 years. I’ve always spent every penny I’ve brought with me on great books. From what I’ve heard about the show there were fewer of the smaller local dealers this year, which is a step in the wrong direction. Also, news from Wizard itself is that their focus is evolving going forward. That doesn’t bode well. 

In their Sunday meetings they are very transparent on what they are attempting to do business wise.  They are open to suggestions from artists and dealers on what improvements they can make so that Wizard shows the best they can be.  They have stated in these meetings that they realize that comic retailers are necessary for a complete convention experience and they are committed to doing their best to have a variety of comic dealers at their shows.  Time will tell....they have been around 25 years or so.....my money is on them being around several more.