• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman DAMNED #1

126 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

There is a level of insanity, (of which I will not be participating), when the hype over the appearance of a characters 'schlong', causes some sort collectible fervor.   

Agreed, it's totally demoralizing to the hobby. Shame on anyone adding to this deterioration of our community. This is not ok, and to participate in it is shameful.

Before comics went mainstream thanks to the recent films, reading comic books as an adult was often stigmatised and considered to be a sign of stunted social development and a lack of emotional maturity.

This particular frenzy isn't doing us any favours, by basically promoting the stereotype.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, maidenmate91 said:

Agreed, it's totally demoralizing to the hobby. Shame on anyone adding to this deterioration of our community. This is not ok, and to participate in it is shameful.

I think it has more to do with it being a recalled comic more-so than the content...

But because it's such an unusual content mishap, that definately adds to the collectability.

It doesn't bother me either way though. There will always be a niche market for recalled comics.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Before comics went mainstream thanks to the recent films, reading comic books as an adult was often stigmatised and considered to be a sign of stunted social development and a lack of emotional maturity.

This particular frenzy isn't doing us any favours, by basically promoting the stereotype.

No kidding.  This whole thing is ridiculous.  Artist, writer, editor...  whoever thought this was a good idea is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

4 hours ago, SerialGrape said:

I think it has more to do with it being a recalled comic more-so than the content...

But because it's such an unusual content mishap, that definately adds to the collectability.

It doesn't bother me either way though. There will always be a niche market for recalled comics.

People are scalping these, there is no debate to be had here. Collectability aside, all people care about is the money behind it. Everyone pumped the hell out of this book, and it's currently sitting at $80 shipped. At some point you have to look at yourself in the mirror, and ask yourself am I no different than a common prostitute. The fact that this book got pumped shows that people have no shame. 

Also the weak-minded will behind the Lemmings that followed.

Edited by maidenmate91

When DC announced that there doing the Black Label Series, they also announce it as being matured. Heck, they even announce that Batman White Knight will be getting a Black Label treatment (w/ Joker and Harley, doing it full-on). When DC announced it, people didn't noticed it. They were just "eh...whatever". 

When the book arrived, comic book store, didn't heavy ordered it either. I think at my area, only one LCS ordered heavily, the rest only ordered for their Batman pull box. Even then, people weren't noticing it.....

Only when DC announced that, it's going back to 2nd printing and saying that on future printing, it'll be censored. Then that's when everybody wants a piece of it. It also doesn't help that it was featured on some Late  Night Shows.

I think the reason for this crazy spike is, it's not because of "it", i think, it's because censored future printing and it got crazy publicity coverage......

19 minutes ago, combiner1 said:

When DC announced that there doing the Black Label Series, they also announce it as being matured. Heck, they even announce that Batman White Knight will be getting a Black Label treatment (w/ Joker and Harley, doing it full-on). When DC announced it, people didn't noticed it. They were just "eh...whatever". 

When the book arrived, comic book store, didn't heavy ordered it either. I think at my area, only one LCS ordered heavily, the rest only ordered for their Batman pull box. Even then, people weren't noticing it.....

Only when DC announced that, it's going back to 2nd printing and saying that on future printing, it'll be censored. Then that's when everybody wants a piece of it. It also doesn't help that it was featured on some Late  Night Shows.

I think the reason for this crazy spike is, it's not because of "it", i think, it's because censored future printing and it got crazy publicity coverage......

It got a crazed public response because of "it".

6 hours ago, SerialGrape said:

Has it actually been recalled?

2 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

People are scalping these, there is no debate to be had here. Collectability aside, all people care about is the money behind it. Everyone pumped the hell out of this book, and it's currently sitting at $80 shipped. At some point you have to look at yourself in the mirror, and ask yourself am I no different than a common prostitute. The fact that this book got pumped shows that people have no shame. 

Also the weak-minded will behind the Lemmings that followed.

What is the "pump" part though? Pump and dump is when something is pumped up that has no collectability or speculation value. People creating a false hype to benefit their own pocket. This book has been talked about by many national news and TV shows who have nothing to gain.

Speaking of pump, "That's not my bag baby".

59 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Has it actually been recalled?

No, it will just not be there in any reprints.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

What is the "pump" part though? Pump and dump is when something is pumped up that has no collectability or speculation value. People creating a false hype to benefit their own pocket. This book has been talked about by many national news and TV shows who have nothing to gain.

Speaking of pump, "That's not my bag baby".

No, it will just not be there in any reprints.

Lol thanks for the morning laugh! I was just thinking about this movie the other day. Now that we have all seen Batman's twigs and berries/wedding tackler, we can die happy? Lol

It feels like the Death of Superman all over again.  I wonder if I can sell the dozen or so copies of that book I have on ebay if I label them "just like Batman: Damned minus the pecker plus a dead body" :roflmao: 

In all seriousness, I don't think a 100K print run is that big of a print run when a lot of these books are going to get damaged because of their oversize (I don't see people doing a good job of bagging and boarding the issue or refraining from showing people the panel that is causing all the craziness.  At the same time, it is biter sweet for me because I really enjoyed the story and have been looking forward to the DC Dark imprint.  I'm afraid we may get a water down DC Dark and not get the kind of mature stories I was looking for out of this label.  I hope that fear isn't well placed.  It's interesting that the pentagram isn't getting attention from holy rollers like I imagined it would.  There was a time when that would have been a mechanism to demonize this book by a misguided members of the press.  Thoughts?  

The price increase of this book is going to baffle the seasoned collector, I get that. It’s the press that’s doing it. People hear about it and want to buy one that don’t have much knowledge of comic prices and speculation tactics anyway, they just pay the price. And when that press is out there for millions to see it does make 115,000 seem like a small number. 

Really curious to see where this book is a month from now when more collectors receive their DCBS etc copies in the mail and when CGC fast tracks come back. 

1 hour ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

The price increase of this book is going to baffle the seasoned collector, I get that. It’s the press that’s doing it. People hear about it and want to buy one that don’t have much knowledge of comic prices and speculation tactics anyway, they just pay the price. And when that press is out there for millions to see it does make 115,000 seem like a small number. 

Really curious to see where this book is a month from now when more collectors receive their DCBS etc copies in the mail and when CGC fast tracks come back. 

cgc doesnt offer fast track on magazine sized books

6 hours ago, combiner1 said:

Didn’t know about the joker and Harley happenings. Guess it will be another book to get attention. Hopefully censorship after the first printing. 

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Pump and dump is when something is pumped up that has no collectability or speculation value. 

Hey, are we throwing out definitions, here...?

Cool! 

According to whom...?

Who decides what has "no collectability (sic) or speculation value"...?

Who makes that determination?

I'll hang up and take my answer on the air.