• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whiz Comic #2 Needed For Color Comparions For Jackson Bostwick's Shazam Tribute Car

13 posts in this topic

Greetings. I am looking for a collector that has an example of Whiz Comics #2, featuring the first appearance of Captain Marvel. I am working with 1974 Shazam TV star, Jackson Bostwick, who played the lead role. We are building a 1974 Shazam tribute car. Jackson is looking for WC #2 to use as a color match for the cars' paint job. Many years ago CC Beck told him that was the process he used to design the costume used on the TV show. We would like to have a collector that has the book meet Jackson at an upcoming appearance and allow us to take a high resolution color scan of the book so that we can match the cover to the paint we use on the car. Mr. Bostwick would be forever grateful for any help his fans can provide. Here is a concept drawing of the car. Please contact Troy R. Kinunen at troy@mearsonline.com or call (414)-828-9990. 

Regards, 

Troy R. Kinunen

Shazam Draft 2.jpg

9781517513153_p0_v2_s600x595.jpg

Perhaps someone can just get you the CYMK values from their own scan. Wouldn't that be easier? 

Let me add that I doubt the people who frequent this particular board would have a copy. You might have better luck with a comic book collector board.

Edited by Rick2you2

There's also going to be a lot of color variation between copies of the original book due to age and condition issues. You're probably better off looking for a reprint or just going off of the pic you posted. Otherwise, I think the only way to be sure you're looking at the original color as it was printed is to turn up a high grade (likely pedigree) copy of the book, which seems unlikely at best.

5 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Will this work?

See the source image

Yes, being such a high grade, fading or color change should be a minimum. Do you own this example? Jackson wants to inspect the comic and scan the color in person (haven't quite figured out the mechanism to do so yet). Are you able to meet him at a convention?  Once the color is scanned, it will be sent to the paint shop for color match. Troy

1 hour ago, Pop Con Milwaukee said:

Yes, being such a high grade, fading or color change should be a minimum. Do you own this example? Jackson wants to inspect the comic and scan the color in person (haven't quite figured out the mechanism to do so yet). Are you able to meet him at a convention?  Once the color is scanned, it will be sent to the paint shop for color match. Troy

No. I don't own it. Found it online. But, I would recommend he head to the NY Comic Con (October 4-7), and go see Vincent Zurzulo at Metropolis Comics. They probably have a high grade copy he can look at.

If most people would not casually know the color, would it matter that much?

Would it be easier to take paint swatches to the convention and compare at the time instead of a scan?  I would think it difficult to scan through a slab that could also distort the color.

1 hour ago, Peter L said:

If most people would not casually know the color, would it matter that much?

Would it be easier to take paint swatches to the convention and compare at the time instead of a scan?  I would think it difficult to scan through a slab that could also distort the color.

Or, just get a copy of Shazam, scan it, and use a program to identify its RGB values. They are easy to get off the internet.

Try colorzilla.

Edited by Rick2you2
Add info.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:05 PM, Pop Con Milwaukee said:

Greetings. I am looking for a collector that has an example of Whiz Comics #2, featuring the first appearance of Captain Marvel. I am working with 1974 Shazam TV star, Jackson Bostwick, who played the lead role. We are building a 1974 Shazam tribute car. Jackson is looking for WC #2 to use as a color match for the cars' paint job. Many years ago CC Beck told him that was the process he used to design the costume used on the TV show. We would like to have a collector that has the book meet Jackson at an upcoming appearance and allow us to take a high resolution color scan of the book so that we can match the cover to the paint we use on the car. Mr. Bostwick would be forever grateful for any help his fans can provide. Here is a concept drawing of the car. Please contact Troy R. Kinunen at troy@mearsonline.com or call (414)-828-9990. 

Regards, 

Troy R. Kinunen

Shazam Draft 2.jpg

9781517513153_p0_v2_s600x595.jpg

I don't think what you are trying to do will work due to the color variations you will encounter from age.

I copied and pasted the Whiz 2 posted above into Photoshop and used the eyedropper tool to check the RGB mix. Depending on where you check, the percentages vary. Here are 3, but there are a lot of others along these lines.

Ex. 1. R=197; G=34; B=35

Ex. 2 R=185; G=25; B=27

Ex. 3 R=205; G=35; B=36 (this seemed the brightest one). 

When I tested what you posted, your R value was notably higher. So, one of them was R=238; G=48; B=14. You will notice how much brighter yours is than the actual.

If you are serious about a match, maybe DC can tell you what was used. Wouldn't they have records on this?

By the way, as a way to garner publicity, it's a nice effort. 

46 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I don't think what you are trying to do will work due to the color variations you will encounter from age.

I copied and pasted the Whiz 2 posted above into Photoshop and used the eyedropper tool to check the RGB mix. Depending on where you check, the percentages vary. Here are 3, but there are a lot of others along these lines.

Ex. 1. R=197; G=34; B=35

Ex. 2 R=185; G=25; B=27

Ex. 3 R=205; G=35; B=36 (this seemed the brightest one). 

When I tested what you posted, your R value was notably higher. So, one of them was R=238; G=48; B=14. You will notice how much brighter yours is than the actual.

If you are serious about a match, maybe DC can tell you what was used. Wouldn't they have records on this?

By the way, as a way to garner publicity, it's a nice effort. 

DC won’t have any records, as the Character was owned by Fawcett until the 1970’s.