• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HOS 92 or ASM 129?
1 1

43 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, jason4 said:

Asm 129.

Punisher >>>>>>>>> swamp thing

By what metric? Probably more popular, generally, but in TPB/HC sales? Critical acclaim? Artistic merit?

Swamp Thing had TWO epic, seminal runs that helped redefine the art form.

12 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

By what metric? Probably more popular, generally, but in TPB/HC sales? Critical acclaim? Artistic merit?

Swamp Thing had TWO epic, seminal runs that helped redefine the art form.

I like both books and that cover on hos92 is fantastic. Definitely rarer as well, but I don’t know. Punisher is a cooler character to me. 

Both great first appearance covers with HOS slightly ahead...but I’m a Marvel guy so that evens it up...I have a HOS, also a 6.5 and the nicest ASM 129 7.0 you will ever see...1/4 in tear in the front cover that I didn’t even know was there...I would literally have to show you where it was through the slab...CGC hammered it...anyway, all things being equal I think I would rather have a higher grade HOS...love that Wrightson cover...

On 9/21/2018 at 5:42 AM, kc2112 said:

Hi Everybody,

Straight up question: Better investment- House of Secrets 92 CGC 8.0 or Amazing Spider-Man 129 9.0?

Both are selling for around 2K these days (HOS 92 a little more). The reason I ask is because I have a HOS 92 6.5 White which I want to upgrade to an 8.0 and a ASM 129 9.2 OW/White which I actually would like to downgrade to a 9.0 White (to match my other Bronze Keys which are almost all White Pages).

If a nice HOS 92 8.0 comes around I was thinking about selling my ASM 129 after I buy it, basically a trade off. Then waiting for the right 129 White to come around.

Any thoughts on which one might appreciate more in the next year or so? Thanks

Both great books, but I put ASM#129 slightly ahead because Punisher is owned by  Marvel/Disney. They are much more successful with taking their characters and introducing them to new audiences.

No one can beat Disney at marketing a brand.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 9/21/2018 at 5:42 AM, kc2112 said:

Hi Everybody,

Straight up question: Better investment- House of Secrets 92 CGC 8.0 or Amazing Spider-Man 129 9.0?

Both are selling for around 2K these days (HOS 92 a little more). The reason I ask is because I have a HOS 92 6.5 White which I want to upgrade to an 8.0 and a ASM 129 9.2 OW/White which I actually would like to downgrade to a 9.0 White (to match my other Bronze Keys which are almost all White Pages).

If a nice HOS 92 8.0 comes around I was thinking about selling my ASM 129 after I buy it, basically a trade off. Then waiting for the right 129 White to come around.

Any thoughts on which one might appreciate more in the next year or so? Thanks

On the off chance the market goes south, which book would you be happier with in your collection?

Upside is so hard to predict. If you have a book you really enjoy you win no matter what.

Enjoyment should not be market dependent.

Edited by NP_Gresham

My dim recollection is that a nice hos 92 was more expensive than a nicer asm 129 historically like in the late 90s. I vaguely remember an overstreet report where a very high grade one went triple digits pre cgc and pre ebay. Or I could be remembering it all wrong. Hos 92 isn't a newly relatively expensive book.

Edited by the blob

11 hours ago, the blob said:

My dim recollection is that a nice hos 92 was more expensive than a nicer asm 129 historically like in the late 90s. I vaguely remember an overstreet report where a very high grade one went triple digits pre cgc and pre ebay. Or I could be remembering it all wrong. Hos 92 isn't a newly relatively expensive book.

If I recall correctly, ASM 129 was in the sewers price-wise by the late 90s due to the overuse of Punisher from 1987-mid 90s. Marvel pimped the character everywhere and that oversaturation caused the popularity of the character to crash by the mid 00s.

12 minutes ago, kimik said:

If I recall correctly, ASM 129 was in the sewers price-wise by the late 90s due to the overuse of Punisher from 1987-mid 90s. Marvel pimped the character everywhere and that oversaturation caused the popularity of the character to crash by the mid 00s.

But the number I remember was vastly more than asm 129 had ever been. Mind you, it may have hit that number because it was a really stunning 92 but I remembered reading that and thinking "wow"... Of course, being a report from am overstreer advisor, it may have been b.s. to help pimp something

HoS 92 has been one of the key Bronze Age books forever - it was first broken out as a distinct book in the 1973 Overstreet Price Guide and has historically been listed higher than Hulk 181 in value. I think it's shot up in price lately because of Justice League Dark, Wrightson's passing, and the fact that it's a lot scarcer than any of the other BA keys (especially the Marvels).

GPA shows 8 sales of HoS 92 in 9.4 from 2016 - present vs. 116 sales of Spidey 129. I don't know that Punisher has ever really dropped out of the spotlight for Marvel, but it seems Swampie lied dormant in the cold, dark muck for a long time before his recent resurgence.

Edited by drbanner

I am looking at an Overstreet from 2005. HOS 92 is $850 IN 9.2 / $400 in 8.0....  asm 129 is $495 in 9.2 / $ 364 in 9.0.  Take it with a grain of salt, that was just a book with numbers in it. OPG reported actual sales (albeit record setting prices) that year that a HOS 92 in 9.6 fetched $4400. ASM in 9.6 got $2,237. X-Men 94 in 9.6 got $4,450! (GS XMen 1 in 9.6 fetched $3,049 ... $9K in 9.8)... Admittedly, wasn't 2005 or thereabouts when some BA slab numbers got very high when people misunderstood the market and thought some of these were scarcer than they really were?

On 9/25/2018 at 10:56 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Both great books, but I put ASM#129 slightly ahead because Punisher is owned by  Marvel/Disney. They are much more successful with taking their characters and introducing them to new audiences.

No one can beat Disney at marketing a brand.

MCU owns rights to the Punisher? You sure about that? Why would he be on Netflix unless it's also owned by Disney? Anyways it would be interesting to see how Disney would handle a Punisher appearance if ever!

To answer the OP, 

From a purely analytical viewpoint it's HOS 92 but from a personal preference viewpoint it's 129 by million miles! The difference in census numbers might have to do with 129 being a little more in demand generally

Edited by MGsimba77

6 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

MCU owns rights to the Punisher? You sure about that? Why would he be on Netflix unless it's also owned by Disney? Anyways it would be interesting to see how Disney would handle a Punisher appearance if ever!

To answer the OP, 

From a purely analytical viewpoint it's HOS 92 but from a personal preference viewpoint it's 129 by million miles! The difference in census numbers might have to do with 129 being a little more in demand generally

When the Disney streaming service starts they will end their relationship with Netflix. Disney owns Punisher. Disney bought Marvel, so they own MCU.