• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack Kirby Signatures Verification Help !
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys, came across a collection recently and found a handful of Jack Kirby signatures, but wasn't sure if they were legitimate. The guy I bought them from said they were originally from a granddaughter of Kirby, but who really knows. Anyhow,take a look and let me know what you think!

IMAG0140.thumb.jpg.eada144572e4569366bffdbfb603834a.jpg

Edited by Gumba213

I agree that the two signatures with the "Best Wishes" sentiment are authentic. I do not believe the other three are authentic.

One thing to look for is in the J. I would avoid any Kirby signature in which the J is pieced together using two or three separate strokes. This is not a trait you find in authentic verified examples.  

Edited by Mr. Zipper

On 9/24/2018 at 1:26 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

I agree that the two signatures with the "Best Wishes" sentiment are authentic. I do not believe the other three are authentic.

One thing to look for is in the J. I would avoid any Kirby signature in which the J is pieced together using two or three separate strokes. This is not a trait you find in authentic verified examples.  

That's interesting. I'm glad you chimed in Mr. Zipper. The FF 72 shown here with the member opinions as being fake is being sold on EBay right now for $300. Keep the legit, pawn off the fakes?

Edited by Poboyross

On 9/24/2018 at 12:26 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Thanks for the heads up Mr Zipper, I am not a professional signature authenticator, so I cannot say for sure, and appreciate your input. Although one with Best Wishes does appear to have these additional strokes you're talking about, yet you think it's authentic. Seems like it's a hit or miss when it comes to the more sharp or soft "J". Anyhow thanks again!

5 hours ago, Poboyross said:

That's interesting. I'm glad you chimed in Mr. Zipper. The FF 72 shown here with the member opinions as being fake is being sold on EBay right now for $300. Keep the legit, pawn off the fakes?

I bought 9 books thinking they were authentic, I am selling the one lowest graded copy FF 72 on ebay now to recoup the costs of the collection I bought. There's a full disclaimer in the description, I'm not looking to rip anyone off, or sell fakes if that's what you're implying. Buy at your own risk, as I did a week ago. If I was 100% sure it was a fake I would not be selling it. 

Edited by Gumba213

On 9/26/2018 at 5:28 PM, Gumba213 said:

Although one with Best Wishes does appear to have these additional strokes you're talking about, yet you think it's authentic. Seems like it's a hit or miss when it comes to the more sharp or soft "J". Anyhow thanks again!

The J in the "Best Wishes" examples all appear to be one continuous stroke to me. One example loops over itself at the bottom, but does not appear to be a separate stroke where the pen actually lifts. A larger image would help.

Another thing to look for is slant. Real Kirby signatures have a hard right leaning slant... the stem of the K will be at around 45 degrees. The questioned examples are typically more upright... around 70 degrees.

There are other indicators I am not going to go into in a public forum. :grin: