• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The CGC Journals Migration
1 1

44 posts in this topic

By the way, I tried to find a journal using the drop down menu in the search function:

hc.PNG.82e240bc89e0dbe5459aa74bba4838a6.PNG

Handily, they're not in any decipherable order. After 6 hours scrolling, I fell asleep.

I agree Marwood. 

The least they can do is unlock the old forum. They don't have to kill the new format. Let people choose. What's wrong with that? I've yet to hear a good excuse from the admin. regarding why the old forums were locked. Seems like a rather heavy-handed way to force participation in the new forum. Seems like migrating them would be a bigger headache than leaving them open. 

I PM'd Dena about it, after being asked by a few people to migrate my old journals to a new forum. I'm embarrassed to admit that my tone was a little sharp, but I apologized almost immediately. I've made my thoughts known, but I don't think it matters. I was appreciative of the chance to share my adventures with the boards while it lasted. 

12 minutes ago, newshane said:

I agree Marwood. 

The least they can do is unlock the old forum. They don't have to kill the new format. Let people choose. What's wrong with that? I've yet to hear a good excuse from the admin. regarding why the old forums were locked. Seems like a rather heavy-handed way to force participation in the new forum. Seems like migrating them would be a bigger headache than leaving them open. 

I PM'd Dena about it, after being asked by a few people to migrate my old journals to a new forum. I'm embarrassed to admit that my tone was a little sharp, but I apologized almost immediately. I've made my thoughts known, but I don't think it matters. I was appreciative of the chance to share my adventures with the boards while it lasted. 

Dena and Scott are good decent people from what I can see. As the face of the change, they will be used to and probably even expect a little flak. We can sometimes get annoyed when we feel strongly about things and respond in a less than civil way. You apologised, I'm sure it was accepted, as you seem good and decent too.  Remember, you put a lot of effort into a journal and then it was blocked with no forewarning. Scott apologised for that to his credit. This is not about targeting individuals. It's about telling the only people who can do anything about it (admin) how we feel. Communication is always key. A little honesty and empathy and all will be well, whether it can be changed or not. Sometimes silence just exacerbates the problem. And that is why I didn't flag them directly, because if they don't respond that causes an 'they're ignoring us air'. A bit like the Newton Ring thread - poor communication equals unhappy people I find.

I take your point about having both old and new journals available. I just think that leads to duplication. The board is too busy as it is and doesn't need any more duplication in my view. If the new journals are rarely visited, as seems to be the case, the newbie that creates one there may wonder why they get little response.

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Dena and Scott are good decent people from what I can see. As the face of the change, they will be used to and probably even expect a little flak. We can sometimes get annoyed when we feel strongly about things and respond in a less than civil way. You apologised, I'm sure it was accepted, as you seem good and decent too.  Remember, you put a lot of effort into a journal and then it was blocked with no forewarning. Scott apologised for that to his credit. This is not about targeting individuals. It's about telling the only people who can do anything about it (admin) how we feel. Communication is always key. A little honesty and empathy and all will be well, whether it can be changed or not. Sometimes silence just exacerbates the problem. And that is why I didn't flag them directly, because if they don't respond that causes an 'they're ignoring us air'. A bit like the Newton Ring thread - poor communication equals unhappy people I find.

I take your point about having both old and new journals available. I just think that leads to duplication. The board is too busy as it is and doesn't need any more duplication in my view. If the new journals are rarely visited, as seems to be the case, the newbie that creates one there may wonder why they get little response.

Well said. 

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

And yet look at his 'activity' and you see he has another journal:

7.thumb.PNG.44027a42acb07f7af9361596b14379d9.PNG

Seems oldmilwaukee6er has a 3rd journal:

Am I missing something here? This old journal has been blocked and migrated to the new journals but doesn't show on the OPs profile. Shouldn't all three journals be sitting under an umbrella heading like everyone else's in the new format?  And if you click on his name at the top of the journal you get an error page. It looks like a shambles.  What is going on? 

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I certainly thought I would get more comments on my outrageously cool Warren horror journals than I have been.:whistle:

I'll have a look later Oak. It's an unfortunate reality lately. People's efforts go largely unnoticed. People just don't join in. This thread had been viewed 100 or so times and only 5 people gave a toss enough to like or post. When the boards finally close it won't be down to lack of care by the owners. It will be down to the sheer apathy of the membership. 

13 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

The new journals are a disaster. I did most of my communication with board members through my journal and had been a source of great insight from more seasoned sellers and for swapping ideas and stories...Now I just wonder what is the point of even posting. I also use to enjoy reading other members journals and now it is so dang unfriendly to use, like others, I am not bothering to "hunt" for them. The comic focused journals will now likely become a wasteland...Sad!

Yours was one I’d read regularly.

12 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I certainly thought I would get more comments on my outrageously cool Warren horror journals than I have been.:whistle:

Just had a look Oak. They're cool. I noticed I couldn't like the journal itself,  or the initial entries you made in it. I could only like the comments. This is yet another drawback with the new format. If, like yourself, you make the opening post the journal/entry, readers can't like it. They can only make a comment, or like subsequent comments that you or others make. So you probably feel your efforts are less appreciated because many would've liked your opening 'post' if they could. 

It's hard to put into words because it's all so needlessly involved. The journal is actually just a heading sitting over the entries. The journals within it are the entries. The opening post in the entry can't be liked, or quoted. The subsequent posts are comments.  It's all totally contrary to what we are used to.

But look, what do I know.  The new journals are great. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise....