• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 28 - serious stains?

14 posts in this topic

Joking aside, the cover looks like a 7.0. The back cover is devastating. The seller may have thought a few points reduction,  hence 5.5. They say CGC hammer stains and this one is awful. Personally,  I would feel bad grading it higher than a 3.0, sorry. Others may disagree. Lovely cover though. 

11 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm sorry but that is NOT a 5.5, return the book if you can. 

What would you put it at Bob? I struggle with books that are in good shape aside of one eye watering flaw. Is 3.0 too high?

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What would you put it at Bob? I struggle with books that are in good shape aside of one eye watering flaw. Is 3.0 too high?

I'm not very experienced with grading lower grade and also struggle. I suspect that stain goes all the way through the book to the front cover. Since there are no missing pieces or other major flaws, I would top out at 3.5 . You usually need to have detached covers and such for books to grade lower than 3.0 . However, I am sure, this is NOT a 5.5. That stain is way too large for 5.5 .

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Well, struggle no more, my friends.

I think you're right on the money. I'd grade this a 3.0.  :foryou:

+1  3.0's about right. And a hard sell, even slabbed, once theyturn the slab around and get a gander at the back. The staining is so ugly that the much nicer cover will do little to mitigate the back.

21 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

+1  3.0's about right. And a hard sell, even slabbed, once theyturn the slab around and get a gander at the back. The staining is so ugly that the much nicer cover will do little to mitigate the back.

A perfect candidate to list on Comiclink ! :devil: 

2 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Why do I see this book getting slabbed and ending up on next years grading contest? Yikes that stain would surely confuse the majority.

Among the many very professional consistencies of CGC's grading is the way they treat stains. It ca be very detrimental to the overall grade. A book that may otherwise be NM quality can be relegated to a 7.5 finding due solely to a stain, its severity, number of pages it affects, and placement. On a book like this, that's structurally a 4.0 to 4.5, lots of vertical tracks/creases running up and down near the spine, every tic it would get above 2.5 is a gift.

On 9/23/2018 at 2:17 PM, Get Marwood & I Are Not Dead said:

Joking aside, the cover looks like a 7.0. The back cover is devastating. The seller may have thought a few points reduction,  hence 5.5. They say CGC hammer stains and this one is awful. Personally,  I would feel bad grading it higher than a 3.0, sorry. Others may disagree. Lovely cover though. 

If CGC hammers stains, this one would get jacked and sledged.