• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I seem to be losing interest again........
3 3

102 posts in this topic

Just realized I've only bought three slabs this year and only a handful of loose reader comics and magazines. Yeah, made a lot of bids in the various auctions, but they were never aggressively pursued. More like tracker bids.  Other than Kirby's 4th World Omnibus, I haven't bought a lot of trades either.  Kind of weird to say it, but I'm pretty satisfied with my small collection right now and think I'm going on hiatus again, the last time being a 30 year break.  

Anyone else frequent this board, but don't really collect any more?

My last slab was Sgt. Fury #13 CGC 8.5 in June 2017.

Last one before that was ASM#300 9.6 in January 2017.

Although I read alot now. Read all 544 issues of the Uncanny X-men in 2017. Trimming that down to around 50-100 books a year which will include Hulk, GI Joe and more X-men with the occasional' ooh ohh have to read this one off'.

Not losing interest but rather setting my sights a little higher in terms of slabs. Not nickle and dime-ing my collection anymore but continuing to take larger steps as a collector , finally able to look at big books seriously. 

I would rather pick up one $5000 dollar book once every ten years than pick up 1 $500 book every year for 10 at this point. 

I haven’t bought an original copy of a comic book since December 2015. I’m not really willing to involve myself with the current speculator frenzy and the effect it’s had on prices.  I don’t miss the predatory aspect of the hobby at all.

I’ve found I’ve enjoyed reading comics more than I have in years by focusing on the digital format instead. Much less effort, stress, and cost.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Just realized I've only bought three slabs this year and only a handful of loose reader comics and magazines. Yeah, made a lot of bids in the various auctions, but they were never aggressively pursued. More like tracker bids.  Other than Kirby's 4th World Omnibus, I haven't bought a lot of trades either.  Kind of weird to say it, but I'm pretty satisfied with my small collection right now and think I'm going on hiatus again, the last time being a 30 year break.  

Anyone else frequent this board, but don't really collect any more?

I've gone through periods like that. I found something that thrilled me again in comics, but it comes and goes.

Whatever you find to give you that thrill again, in comics or not, I hope it comes soon for you. :)

I buy  very few books a year, but it's not from a lack of interest.  Adopting two boys has made collecting tough, but I figure I try to get the best quality book for my money instead of getting just anything. I try to keep more focused.

I go through hot and cold periods. Unfortunately the books I want are HOT right now so my buying is cold lol. But in all seriousness, I am happy buying a book here and there, I don't have anything that really has me "needing" specific comics right now. But I still buy and sell regularly, just not attached to the books.

I still read comics almost daily but don't have the time to research sites for new books to the collection (all the more since I, too, am price resistant at this point) after I spend time with the kids but the nice upshot is that I do find time here and there for reading books from the collection, which I didn't have in the past when I was looking for the next acquisition.

My buying has slowed down considerably for 2 reasons. First, the runs I collect are close to completion. What books remain are almost impossible to find ( read: 30/35 cent variants) or impossibly expensive or a combination of both. Second is the hyper- inflation of prices. I can’t help but think that many of those books at the end of the ASM run - the run I abandoned after yet another reboot- will be available much cheaper if I simply wait out the bubble. I doubt the pre- hero Atlas runs I collect will reverse themselves, but the growth curve might flatten a bit and present better buying opportunities.

Whenever I think of exiting the hobby I peruse the WTB section. I can’t bring myself to part with books others are after. 

Hiatus sounds like a good plan

I've also entered a lull in my buying/collecting.  I went for nearly a month without buying or even looking for a comic. as prices have gone up I've become way more selective in my purchases.  I think I'm also entering a period of enui with comics.  maybe it's over-saturation with modern variants or high grade SA comics and OA that now cost more than a Picasso or Monet. (I've already completed my run).  For some reason I've begun to be more interested in real estate as an investment and get more than my fill of reading comics as bedtime stories to my kids.

I no longer feel that zeal or excitement when I walk into a comic shop.  I'm not even sure why I'm going to both Baltimore comicon and NYCC as I'm not really looking forward to the hunt and jacked up pricing.  

I feel like I'm in comic book menopause. maybe it's just time to move on to something else.

34 minutes ago, justafan said:

I've also entered a lull in my buying/collecting.  I went for nearly a month without buying or even looking for a comic. as prices have gone up I've become way more selective in my purchases.  I think I'm also entering a period of enui with comics.  maybe it's over-saturation with modern variants or high grade SA comics and OA that now cost more than a Picasso or Monet. (I've already completed my run).  For some reason I've begun to be more interested in real estate as an investment and get more than my fill of reading comics as bedtime stories to my kids.

I no longer feel that zeal or excitement when I walk into a comic shop.  I'm not even sure why I'm going to both Baltimore comicon and NYCC as I'm not really looking forward to the hunt and jacked up pricing.  

I feel like I'm in comic book menopause. maybe it's just time to move on to something else.

You'll have to change your name to 'wasafan' :p