• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I seem to be losing interest again........
3 3

102 posts in this topic

I guess if you are a key or 9.8 chaser it can be easy to lose interest due to budgets. But if you're someone who is interested in less expensive stuff as well then you can come home with a nice haul for $500 at most shows, here (sometimes), and on ebay (with a lot of hunting). I enjoy the hunt, so maybe that's different than setting a big book as a goal and getting it. i probably would have been better off financially doing just that from the beginning, true.

Just now, Hudson said:

CL has one up tonight  

If board members get together on this, we can purchase it for you and realize your lifelong dream of owning a Jo-Jo 25!!

$$$$$ is definitely a deterrent. In the playing card community, there are true artisans that make limited decks (around 200), and there are people only in it for reselling on eBay that will buy 10+ decks on different accounts just to list for 10X the price. It's extremely discouraging. There are people that actually want to see and use these decks. This same mentality is happening with Batman: Damned. I can't find a copy for a fair price.

Collecting communities of all types are being poached by these b-holes who don't have any empathy for the hobby and are trying to "get rich quick".

22 hours ago, Hudson said:

I can see how people can lose interest in collecting comics these days.   This is likely a result of many factors, however, $$$$ may be the biggest contributor to the decline in interest of many collectors.  

I too plan to attend the Baltimore Con tomorrow and the NY con next weekend and I am not sure why.    I remember the days when I went to conventions with $60 and came home with several books.   Now, I plan to go to the convention tomorrow with at least $2K in cash (and a credit card) and I am betting I will come home with most of that unspent and maybe no books at all  

The cost of books have become crazy the past few years.   It used to be that if you spent 4 figures on a book, you were getting something special.  5 figures and you were “the man”. Now, it seems like books that I wouldn’t even want in my collection are often well into the mid 4 figure range.  

It makes it kind of difficult to stay enthusiastic, when you really want a book, put in a solid bid (well over what you expect it to go for) at auction, and lose.   

It is even more discouraging to go to conventions where everything is marked crazy high so that the dealer has room to negotiate.  I don’t want to negotiate; I want to buy a book at a fair price (a price at which the seller can make a reasonable profit and make a decent living without gougimg every penny from the buyer). 

I don’t know.   I still collect and still love when I can find and buy a book I am actively looking for (or just one that catches my eye), however, today’s market is making it a bit more difficult to have those positive buying days.  

Amen, brother!  

I should make it clear, I haven't lost interest in comics.  I'm not selling what I have and haven't stopped looking for things to buy.  I've only lost interest in paying the prices that comics go for now.  Both because my budget is down (kids and college and all that) and because prices are way up for everything I've been buying the last 20 years.  I've spoke earlier in another thread.  I'm in the middle of switching focus.  Finding new things that aren't way too expensive for my budget that still have interest to me.  Something I've done before when things I was buying started to creep out of my range.  Schomburg Marvels to Schomburg Nedors to Schomburg Real Life and It Really Happened.  Steranko X-Men and Hulk Annual to Steranko Tex Dawson and Western Gunfighters.  Adding in some Sienkiewicz New Mutants and Moon Knights.  There is a way to collect for almost any budget.  You just have to be willing to leave some collections "unfinished" and start new ones.

On 9/27/2018 at 5:07 PM, Hudson said:

Thanks, Harold.  

Word on on the street is  that you still go to cons with $60 and expect to walk out with a stack of GA.  

:roflmao:

It depends on what GA and if you push that to cover late 50s 10 centers. Ironically the last time I got a big stack of 10 centers for that sort of price was from mile high chuck. He had a small table at nycc and was doing a brisk dollar book business on beater 50s and 60s books. My guess is that he had just bought them for nothing and was trying to limit the haul back to Colorado.

4 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

$$$$$ is definitely a deterrent. In the playing card community, there are true artisans that make limited decks (around 200), and there are people only in it for reselling on eBay that will buy 10+ decks on different accounts just to list for 10X the price. It's extremely discouraging. There are people that actually want to see and use these decks. This same mentality is happening with Batman: Damned. I can't find a copy for a fair price.

Collecting communities of all types are being poached by these b-holes who don't have any empathy for the hobby and are trying to "get rich quick".

I don't know what FMV on this is, however, Rick (Gator) was selling them for $50 at the Baltimore Convention today.

3 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I don't know what FMV on this is, however, Rick (Gator) was selling them for $50 at the Baltimore Convention today.

Did anyone buy like 10 copies for their collection? :whistle:

On 9/23/2018 at 7:19 PM, thunsicker said:

Haven't bought a book for a few years now.  Mostly it's just that my first started college and the next two go in the next four years.  Don't have the money to buy $500 slabs.  Especially since those slabs were $250 just a few years back.

This. Love comics. Love the boards. But college for your kids ain’t cheap.

Took me 3 years to complete my Batman silver age villain first appearance , now I find myself picking up other villain keys minor ones . Losing the lack luster, but have recently gotten into sketch’s , picked up a jock joker , Neal Adams Batman , and George Perez joker . Sort of brought me back for a little bit , still need to complete my bstman adventures run also . I’ll take my time with that one though no rush 

7 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

MTG I know the pain modern deck costed me like 230$ and I cant even play it anymore due to work

11 hours ago, JcomicJ said:

MTG I know the pain modern deck costed me like 230$ and I cant even play it anymore due to work

I was talking about actual playing cards. Like Bicycle, Bee, Tally-Ho, etc. I also play MtG, though. That's always different because of competitive play. Legacy, Standard, Extended, Modern, etc. Card prices fluctuate because of ban lists and combos. It's a lot different from playing cards and comic books. I've bought cards like Griselbrand for $40/ea when he was Standard Legal. Lost money on that. But, I also bought Ancestral Visions for $5/ea in 2010 and made a killing on those.

MtG cards also get reprinted all the time outside of A/B/U and the Reserved List. Comic books sometimes get reprints for supply/demand. Playing cards rarely ever get reprinted outside of standard decks like Rider Backs. The ones that only have runs of < 1000 never get reprinted.

These limited buying-reselling b-holes are killing hobbies with their BS. It's supposed to be fun and not stressful. These losers charging hobbyists an arm and a leg are deflating interest. Guess what, b-holes? If you keep it up there won't be anyone left to buy your overpriced . And you won't enjoy keeping it since you only bought it for $$$$$. As is often said here, if you buy a book that you like, and not as an investment, then at least you own something you want if you can't sell it.

rantrant