• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First submission experience.
1 1

34 posts in this topic

I purchased the $149 membership and submitted 7 books at Montreal Comic-con on July 7th.

The experience at the show was great.

All my questions were answered, credit card info taken, and my online submission form was in order,

Took about 5 minutes, virtually seamless.

10 days later on the 17th of July I receive an email acknowledging my submission, so I login and it shows my order was invoiced that same day.

So far so good I thought!

Over the next month I see the status changing as expected, from what I can gather, then on August 17th I receive an email from CGC accounting with an invoice attached.

I then login and see my order status has switched to "Shipped/Safe".

Like many other posters I see no mention of my credit being applied so I email twice that week to inquire and receive no answer.

Finally, 2 weeks later on August 31st I call to find out what is going on.

A nice lady tells me she is transferring me to Accounting but does not say why.

A gentleman picks up and tells me they need my credit card info again because it didn't go through.

I said there was no indication of this issue anywhere in an email or on the submission status, how would I have known if I hadn't called?

He mentioned I should have been advised and apologized.

I said fair enough, and fixed up the credit card info and he charged my card for the shipping and applied my sign up credit right there and then.

He said the books were just sitting in the safe since the 17th and would be sent out right away.

I thanked him and hung up.

Another 2 weeks pass and I hear nothing again.

So, knowing emails go unanswered I called again on the 17th of September.

Again, another nice lady answers the phone, takes my info and says she is transferring me to Accounting. I start to tell her we've done this already but to no avail(while on hold I verified my card was charged 18 days ago like I thought).

She then comes back on the line sounding confused and I ask her if there is an issue with my shipment.

She takes another moment to review things and then tells me no, they're fine in the safe ready to ship.....

Naturally I ask why they haven't shipped yet and she says there's an accounting hold on the order...

I ask "again? or still?", and proceed to walk her through the last month of utter customer service confusion.

She finally says she'll remove the hold and ask the guys out back to ship out my order.

I thank her for this and ask if she can explain what happened or why I had to call twice or why I had zero idea/notification that my order needed anyone's attention at any point??

Her answer was, " we receive thousands of submissions every week sir, and now that I look at the entire timeline we are only a couple weeks past the average TaT".

I was quite shocked by that response and managed to ask if I would receive a credit or some sort of compensation for this experience.

She sounded equally as shocked that I would mention this and said she would have to review the matter and consult with her manager on such a request, as it is out of the ordinary.

I really didn't know what else to say to her so I thanked her and hung up.

I've been in the customer service business for 20 years and am completely at a loss right now.

I guess what I need to know is whether or not this is a standard CGC experience?

In 2 months I went from excitement/anticipation to disappointment/apprehension.

UPDATE: I'm relieved to say that this experience has been addressed both professionally and appropriately by Brittany McManus in the marketing department.

From our conversation, I'm confident she will address the matter internally and that she truly understands what customer service means (you'd be surprised by how many people think they do, but have a very narrow viewpoint on the concept).

The end result here is that I will remain a customer, and hopefully some others will have a better customer experience with future submissions.

In the end, all I ask for as a customer is accountability from those providing me a service, and CGC owned up to it and made it right.

As it's my first post in the forums, I feel obligated to reference a relevant quote from one of my favorite comic book characters:

“Sooner or later you have to turn and face it-- you made a mistake! Welcome to the human race, pal. It's your choice. If you let it, it will destroy you. But if you do let it, remember you had a choice... you just picked the easiest way. You didn't fall into that bottle. You crawled in and pulled the cork in after you!

Now to me, none of this was really a big deal. I understand that you are irritated your books sat there an extra two weeks but I just don't think it warranted coming on here to complain. You never said what happened with the original CC info that caused this in the first place. Was it your bad or theirs ? In either case,I certainly don't feel you are entitled to compensation. You suffered no material loss. Sorry.

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

I know first hand how this feels. There is a problem that needs addressing, but you don't find out about it until you inquire. It doesn't feel very good and you lose confidence for those involved. The actual problem takes a backseat to the lack of communication.

I still would like to know what exactly happened when the CC info didn't go through. If the error was on him, how can he possibly complain ? Also, I'm not so much saying he doesn't have a right to be annoyed but why go public here ? It's really not a problem the Boards need to be involved in. 

At no point was it even explained to me what happened with the credit card info. My goal wasn't to complain either. As i stated, I was looking for input on whether or not this was a standard CGC experience. I have now been assured by CGC that it is not. Bob if you think it was an acceptable customer experience, then we simply have different standards in that area. 

Also, even if a customer makes a mistake in a cc number or address, how are they supposed to know that unless the vendor advises them of said error?? 

It's a fairly common complaint towards CGC about their response time and lack of responses when things to awry.  At times they can be golden in fixing problems but other times, they can disappear with invalid responses (all you need to do is look at the response to the Newton rings that went on much longer than it needed to and the continued long wait times).  Rather than saying "oh well, no need to complain", maybe us as customers should uphold businesses to responding in a prompt and effective manner.  Make these issues public as well as when they do the right thing.  

11 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

It's a fairly common complaint towards CGC about their response time and lack of responses when things to awry.  At times they can be golden in fixing problems but other times, they can disappear with invalid responses (all you need to do is look at the response to the Newton rings that went on much longer than it needed to and the continued long wait times).  Rather than saying "oh well, no need to complain", maybe us as customers should uphold businesses to responding in a prompt and effective manner.  Make these issues public as well as when they do the right thing.  

So you are advocating that customers should go public with every little problem ?  Sorry, but I think that's a bit much.  I concur that customers should beat on CGC for stuff like the Newton Rings or damaged slabs but in this situation his Credit Card didn't go through. Not in the same ballpark.

20 hours ago, alewario said:

At no point was it even explained to me what happened with the credit card info. My goal wasn't to complain either. As i stated, I was looking for input on whether or not this was a standard CGC experience. I have now been assured by CGC that it is not. Bob if you think it was an acceptable customer experience, then we simply have different standards in that area. 

Also, even if a customer makes a mistake in a cc number or address, how are they supposed to know that unless the vendor advises them of said error?? 

To be honest, I rarely let a problem go without complaining. The only difference here is I do my complaining directly to the company. I don't go on the internet to give bad reviews. Your original post was something like 34 sentences, that's a lot of complaining for a CC that didn't go through.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

I can't comment on the op's reasons for posting, but if this experience happened to me, I would be very upset. Simply for the reason that there was a problem with the card but nobody (except CGC) knew about it. From what I understand, it wasn't until the op called that he was he made aware. That, as my vacuum says, sucks.

Edited by Gaard

10 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

To be honest, I rarely let a problem go without complaining. The only difference here is I do my complaining directly to the company. I don't go on the internet to give bad reviews. Your original post was something like 34 sentences, that's a lot of complaining for a CC that didn't go through.

Try reading the post and its title again. It was a factual retelling of events and a question posed to forum members as to "whether or not this is a standard CGC experience?"  

When CGC contacted me she thanked me specifically for not posting a rant/complaint, but rather specific details that allowed her to effectively address the situation. (I haven't even brought up the rings on one of my slabs because that complaint is well-covered on here)

As for "directly to the company"? I was contacted immediately by CGC after the post, never after the calls. I certainly was not expecting that, and I wouldn't even have answered the Florida area code if it hadn't resolved to an actual person's name.

"I don't go on the internet to give bad reviews." 1. Wasn't a review 2. Internet? Hard to argue it's the internet but it's also a CGC forum, with CGC moderators and representatives, found at, wait for it........https://www.cgccomics.com/boards. Somewhat targeted...

On a sincere note, I was hoping everything I'd heard over the years about these boards wasn't true, but even with warning, it's a pretty toxic environment. Thanks for the advice bud.

9 hours ago, c_mkv said:

Sounds like a lot  of “hub-bub” to me. Personally, OP sounds way too green. 

Not that I’m a forkin expert but 3 “forkin” posts,,,,guh. 

Cool story bro, other than the post was made BECAUSE I am "green". It being my first experience, I was asking for input on ""whether or not this is a standard CGC experience?"  

Solid contribution though. Keep it up.

5 hours ago, Gaard said:

I can't comment on the op's reasons for posting, but if this experience happened to me, I would be very upset. Simply for the reason that there was a problem with the card but nobody (except CGC) knew about it. From what I understand, it wasn't until the op called that he was he made aware. That, as my vacuum says, sucks.

Correct, Thank you for actually reading the post. The events that unfolded afterwards are what concerned me AND CGC equally. 

4 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

He did his complaining to the company AND decided to post here. So its not like he complained for nothing and didnt reach out to CGC first multiple times before posting. Him being green gives him every reason to complain since the first impression can be a lasting one for customers. It seems like these forums are a place for people to argue with one another instead of listening to each others perspective on our experiences and hobby that we all share. Sad really, long time lurker here who recently started posting more but notice this more and more around here.  The main reason why I never decided to be active on the boards in the first place was because of said argumentative and elitist attitudes devaluing each others perspectives and experiences instead of supporting each other in our hobbies and listening. 

Well said Keys. To you and the other collectors out there/on here, who support each other in this amazing hobby, please keep it up.

5 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

He did his complaining to the company AND decided to post here. So its not like he complained for nothing and didnt reach out to CGC first multiple times before posting. Him being green gives him every reason to complain since the first impression can be a lasting one for customers. It seems like these forums are a place for people to argue with one another instead of listening to each others perspective on our experiences and hobby that we all share. Sad really, long time lurker here who recently started posting more but notice this more and more around here.  The main reason why I never decided to be active on the boards in the first place was because of said argumentative and elitist attitudes devaluing each others perspectives and experiences instead of supporting each other in our hobbies and listening. 

You seem to be upset over the fact that all of us did not rally behind him.  He told his story, and I thought it was not a big deal and said so. Does that make me an 'elitist' ?  Are Board members not allowed to disagree with each other ? You can browse through my Posts and you will see I frequent the Newbie thread, offering advice when I can help. In this specific case, what help was he seeking ? He keeps repeating his intent was to ask if this was standard CGC policy. His CC didn't go through, of course this is not standard CGC policy. Again, you can look at my historical posts and you will see I am not afraid to speak out against CGC on real issues. CGC is not perfect, maybe the back office dropped the ball here but again, IMO, no big deal. Sorry.

50 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You seem to be upset over the fact that all of us did not rally behind him.  He told his story, and I thought it was not a big deal and said so. Does that make me an 'elitist' ?  Are Board members not allowed to disagree with each other ? You can browse through my Posts and you will see I frequent the Newbie thread, offering advice when I can help. In this specific case, what help was he seeking ? He keeps repeating his intent was to ask if this was standard CGC policy. His CC didn't go through, of course this is not standard CGC policy. Again, you can look at my historical posts and you will see I am not afraid to speak out against CGC on real issues. CGC is not perfect, maybe the back office dropped the ball here but again, IMO, no big deal. Sorry.

Board members are in the right to disagree and have a cordial discussion about it but look up and down the boards and you'll see entire threads sidetracked by a continued push over someone being an expert and acting as if there opinion is worth more than someone else (hence my elitist comment).  Not to mention the attitudes of someone who has thousands of posts acting as if they know it all when posts on this forum do not dictate collecting experience or ones own personal experiences.  It is not the first time either I see posts from you dismissing someones opinion or personal experiences but alas, I digress and simply ask that we listen a little more instead of dismissing someones complaints even if they are somewhat in the wrong.

14 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Board members are in the right to disagree and have a cordial discussion about it but look up and down the boards and you'll see entire threads sidetracked by a continued push over someone being an expert and acting as if there opinion is worth more than someone else (hence my elitist comment).  Not to mention the attitudes of someone who has thousands of posts acting as if they know it all when posts on this forum do not dictate collecting experience or ones own personal experiences.  It is not the first time either I see posts from you dismissing someones opinion or personal experiences but alas, I digress and simply ask that we listen a little more instead of dismissing someones complaints even if they are somewhat in the wrong.

In hindsight, I guess I should not have responded to the OP at all. Sometimes, you don't stop and think, should I post this, will someone get offended, etc....you just post. I am sorry to hear you think my posts can sometimes be dismissive. I think I most often take that tone if I believe the posts have a financial agenda. I think, in the back of my mind, I thought that case here, in this thread. CGC obviously compensated the OP immediately so it's all good. I will honestly try to keep your comments in mind when I post in the future. Later..................

Let's clue this up. I was looking for accountability. Not in a monetary sense, but in a gesture of any sort, which in this case took the form of a phone call from Brittany and some sincere words.

CGC provided that, and to be fair, I think Bob just showed a bit of that in the above post, so kudos to both.

I love comics.

For one reason or another, I haven't been able to pursue this hobby for a while now.

I can now, and I hope to continue this journey with all of you.

So thanks to CGC and everybody on this thread, for this memorable introduction to grading and its baggage.

Despite the BS, I'm glad to be here, and hope to contribute/help at some point.

After all, this is still supposed to be fun right?

Edited by alewario

11 hours ago, Hudson said:

First - Welcome to the Boards.  

As for your situation and question, I have not submitted enough books and on enough occasions to give an intelligent opinion on this.   I have had negative and positive experiences with CGC.  

I think, when it comes to our “books”, as colletors, we like to get them back in our hands ASAP.   I know whenever (a rare occasion) I do send a book in for grading, as soon as I hand the box to the USPS person, I immediately receive a sick feeling in my stomach.   Where is my book going, how will it be handled, and when will it be safely back in my hands?   All this makes submitting books a stressful time for me and I can understand not wanting to wait additional unnecessary time to receive your books back.  

Again - Welcome to the Boards  

Thank you.