• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mel Gibson To Co-Write & Direct ‘Wild Bunch’ Remake At Warner Bros.

39 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Oddball said:

Apocalypto is an amazing film so I’ll watch a western by Gibson in a minute.

I agree with that.  

I was entertained by the Magnificent 7 remake. 

I think Gibson is very capable of making entertaining and thought provoking movies.  I want to see what he has to say about the western genre. 

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

I can't think of any reason this should exist. 

I dunno... I see it as comic / superhero related.   Cowboys and westerns were superheroes before Superman with the Western genre as almost having eradicated superhero comics from existence during the 1950's.  The western has always involved very similar concepts that our modern day spandex tales often relate to.  They usually consist of an ordinary person being put into an extraordinary circumstance or a person with a special skill (fasted gun in the west) being put to the test.  The original Magnificent Seven could be considered a movie not unlike the Avengers where you have seven people coming together to help fight injustice.  

I'm cool with westerns being included in this as a genre. 

can I get a remake of 'bridge on the river kwai'?

1 hour ago, revat said:

No no no. No no no no no.

Kwai is perfect. Leave it alone.

If they made it now, they'd make a bridge with a CGI explosion and a CGI train plummeting to the ground.

In the original, they spent a quarter of a million dollars blowing up an honest to God bridge with an honest to God train, and they only had one shot at it. THAT is movie making!

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Oh, and screw Mel Gibson.

Mel Gibson has demonstrated overt racism, misogyny, and anti-Semitism in his personal life. In the era of #metoo, I am surprised he can get work in Hollywood.

Then again, when has the movie business really paid attention to anything other than “the business”...

18 minutes ago, comicparadox said:

Mel Gibson has demonstrated overt racism, misogyny, and anti-Semitism in his personal life. In the era of #metoo, I am surprised he can get work in Hollywood.

Then again, when has the movie business really paid attention to anything other than “the business”...

I agree that he has.  However, the same type of mentality has existed in almost every film ever made.  I am by no means making an excuse for it or justifying it.  However, in almost every movie that are now revered as classics there exist some of the above mentions incidents that Gibson has exhibited.  

We have talked about James Bond for example and that in itself is a character that is created on a foundation of misogyny with one of the most famous incidents being that of the "man talk" incident depicted in Goldfinger.  Look at comic books where the majority of which are also depicting women in a negative like.  There is a lot of good but also a lot of bad.

I am not telling you what to do but I do notice a lot of selective outrage.  Gibson has done and said some horrible things.  I believe that there was probably worse that was said that never saw the light of day.  However, I also believe that he has the creative talent to say something that I can view and be critical of in a manner that still understands that he may be a vile person that created something of interest and of discussion and may also provoke others into thought to bring about progress. 

43 minutes ago, F For Fake said:
1 hour ago, revat said:

No no no. No no no no no.

Kwai is perfect. Leave it alone.

If they made it now, they'd make a bridge with a CGI explosion and a CGI train plummeting to the ground.

In the original, they spent a quarter of a million dollars blowing up an honest to God bridge with an honest to God train, and they only had one shot at it. THAT is movie making!

that's why I loved it.  My dad told me 8 million facts like that about the movie while we watched it. 

BUT I would enjoy the Christopher Nolan version (just directing) today, or katheryn Bigelow (sp?).  Or whoever made Logan (someone named Mangold? I can't be bothered to google). 

14 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I agree that he has.  However, the same type of mentality has existed in almost every film ever made.  I am by no means making an excuse for it or justifying it.  However, in almost every movie that are now revered as classics there exist some of the above mentions incidents that Gibson has exhibited.  

We have talked about James Bond for example and that in itself is a character that is created on a foundation of misogyny with one of the most famous incidents being that of the "man talk" incident depicted in Goldfinger.  Look at comic books where the majority of which are also depicting women in a negative like.  There is a lot of good but also a lot of bad.

I am not telling you what to do but I do notice a lot of selective outrage.  Gibson has done and said some horrible things.  I believe that there was probably worse that was said that never saw the light of day.  However, I also believe that he has the creative talent to say something that I can view and be critical of in a manner that still understands that he may be a vile person that created something of interest and of discussion and may also provoke others into thought to bring about progress. 

You know, I think everyone has to go with whatever suits their moral compass. I certainly don't think it's WRONG for anyone to watch or enjoy Mel Gibson movies, or Woody Allen movies, or Roman Polanski movies, etc. I used to be a big proponent of "the art, not the artist", and I think that's still a valid viewpoint. 

But in recent years, I just feel like my tolerance has changed. Personally, for many years I struggled with my feelings about Roman Polanski's catalog in particular. I just love "Rosemary's Baby" and "Chinatown", you know? But I finally decided that, for me, the thing which made me feel best was to not support artists that I am ethically opposed to, because there are SO many movies out there I haven't seen by folks that don't have that cloud over them, I'd rather just check out something new. Again, not passing judgment at all on anyone who wants to see this. Hell, I love Mad Max and The Road Warrior more than I can say. Ugh. But yeah, that's the right choice for me. Everybody has to do their thing.

Edited by F For Fake
me fail english? that's unpossible!

2 minutes ago, revat said:

that's why I loved it.  My dad told me 8 million facts like that about the movie while we watched it. 

BUT I would enjoy the Christopher Nolan version (just directing) today, or katheryn Bigelow (sp?).  Or whoever made Logan (someone named Mangold? I can't be bothered to google). 

Well, if they have to do it (and it's probably just a matter of time) hopefully they'll get someone of that caliber to take it on.

But if they try to remake "Lawrence of Arabia", I'm rioting in the streets! NO PRISONERS! NO PRISONERS!

From what I've read, every negative thing you've read about Mel Gibson is true...when he's drunk.

When he's sober, he's considered a consummate professional and skilled director. 

I'm looking forward to the cast he puts together for this film.  I bet it will be impressive.