• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Comic badly encased purchased from ebay seller
3 3

55 posts in this topic

I just purchased a Ms. Marvel 1 with a 9.8 CGC.

When the parcel arrived today I was really shocked to see the comic badly centered in the plastic container (see 2 photos on white surface).

The packaging was real good so I don't think the comic could move (should it even be able to move?).

I spent over 3 000 $US on the book so I'd like to know the course of action I should take.

I haven't contacted the ebayer yet since I just got the book.

He had 2 copies on sale, and unfortunately I contacted him after I lost the auction and he said he had another copie for sale.

I got to see the photos (see photos scans bellow) of the copy I bought but they didn't seem as off centered.

Furthermore, the top left corner seems a little damaged is that ok for a 9.8 ?

Lastly the top right corner seems to be coming out of the inner plastic enveloppe.

Guys, I spent a small fortune here, what do you think of this?

Has the seller tampered with the case? Any way of knowing ?

Can a comic move inside?

Does the copic look like a 9.8 to you?

How do I check the registry ?

Thanks

front.jpg

back.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

top-left.jpg

top-right.jpg

Edited by migmtl76

It appears to be in the "old" new case where the comic is between 2 sheets of myar iirc, there is no inner case.  CGC only used them for a little while.   I would return the book if I could.  If not, contact CGC about this shifting in the "old" new holder and what has occurred.

I was told a long time ago (before the new cases) that it's really hard to tamper with them.  You have to break it open so it's easy to tell if someone was trying to switch books or what not.  I would feel that is still the case here.

But that looks bad.  I have seen off centered slabs before but that looks like someone was playing Frisbee with it.  Contact the seller QUICK because returning a slab can be tricky the longer you wait.  There is a thing called shaken slab syndrome (you can search for it here) that can damage books inside their case so that is why I would want to return it; especially if I paid 3k for a key issue.

Absolutely normal for a 9.8. A NM/M book is NOT a perfect copy and can show tiny flaws like the one on the corner. 

Probably not. It already looked off-center. Plus, what would motivate the seller to tamper with the case? The newer cases are very, very hard to tamper with. The edges of the case would be noticeably cracked or splintered. 

Can a comic move inside?

Yes, but only if it's improperly encapsulated and exposed to enough shock or movement. 

Looks legit from what I can tell. But it also appears as if the book has been damaged from its movement inside of the case. 

Go to the CGC homepage and scroll down to the bottom. Use the verification tool. You will need to be a member before you can view the census, but that wouldn't be helpful anyway. 

* * * The CGC should be willing to do a reholder for free. I would reach out to customer service and explain the situation. The onus for the damage is on CGC here, not the seller. If the book was packaged well by the seller, then the evidence points to improper encapsulation. The book looks like it ready to slide out of the case before it was even shipped. The seller should have mentioned it, but it looks pretty apparent based on the scans provided by the seller. 

If the slab is one of the early examples of the current holder (held together by pressure instead of an inner well) then I know for a fact that CGC will take responsibility and fix it on their dime. I've sent a few off for reholdering myself. 

Hope this helps. Good luck! 

This book has been damaged in the slab. Either return it immediately and/or contact CGC directly. If CGC feels it is their bad they are very good about making things right. This probably happened during shipping. Was the slab properly packaged so it was not allowed to move ? Any small gaps to allow the book to shift is bad.

17 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This book has been damaged in the slab. Either return it immediately and/or contact CGC directly. If CGC feels it is their bad they are very good about making things right. This probably happened during shipping. Was the slab properly packaged so it was not allowed to move ? Any small gaps to allow the book to shift is bad.

Hi Bomber-Bob, thanks for you input. What do you mean by " If CGC feels it is their bad they are very good about making things right " ?
Cheers

Re: newshane

Thanks for the respond. In a case like this where the comic is damaged, how should I deal with this ?

As seller for a refund (even if he stated no refunds on CGC books on the ebay listing)? Ask CGC for a compensation ? Other solution ?

It's hard to tell if there is damage (top right corner) without opening the plastic.

4 hours ago, boatfund said:

It appears to be in the "old" new case where the comic is between 2 sheets of myar iirc, there is no inner case.  CGC only used them for a little while.   I would return the book if I could.  If not, contact CGC about this shifting in the "old" new holder and what has occurred.

It definitely has the inner holder as you can see the vertical seam lines (which the comic seems to have gone through).  Agree with Bob here.

I would just return it right away, if at all possible.  Too much hassle to deal with.  The seller most likely had it insured.

32 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

As seller for a refund (even if he stated no refunds on CGC books on the ebay listing)? Ask CGC for a compensation ? Other solution ?

Doubt CGC will do much (other than a free re-grade/re-holder (maybe)) especially since it looks like to me & everyone else that it wasn't their fault.  But this is what I would do in this case...

Contact the seller ask if he will take a return due to it arriving damaged and nothing like his original pics.  Hopefully he didn't do the free standard insurance which doesn't cover very much.

If he says the listing states no refunds, then your next option is to contact eBay themselves.  eBay usually protects buyers.  Save those pics because they will ask for them to show that the item was not as described.  Count on upsetting the seller tho & DEFINITELY do not do this first.  The seller might offer a partial refund & you get to keep the book, so you may want to think on that as well.

Keep us posted on this if you can or don't mind, curious how it works out.

11 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

I just purchased a Ms. Marvel 1 with a 9.8 CGC.

When the parcel arrived today I was really shocked to see the comic badly centered in the plastic container (see 2 photos on white surface).

The packaging was real good so I don't think the comic could move (should it even be able to move?).

I spent over 3 000 $US on the book so I'd like to know the course of action I should take.

I haven't contacted the ebayer yet since I just got the book.

He had 2 copies on sale, and unfortunately I contacted him after I lost the auction and he said he had another copie for sale.

I got to see the photos (see photos scans bellow) of the copy I bought but they didn't seem as off centered.

Lastly the top right corner seems to be coming out of the inner plastic enveloppe.

Guys, I spent a small fortune here, what do you think of this?

Can a comic move inside?

Thanks

front.jpg

back.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

top-left.jpg

top-right.jpg

i have a book like that were it seems like they didn't put in the center plastic that holds the book in snuggly the book sank to the bottom of the case and got damaged

1 hour ago, migmtl76 said:

Re: newshane

Thanks for the respond. In a case like this where the comic is damaged, how should I deal with this ?

It's hard to tell if there is damage (top right corner) without opening the plastic.

I wouldn't tamper with the case at all. 

Also, I wouldn't accept a partial refund. See if he'll take the book back for a full refund. Partial refunds are a scam, in my opinion. Good business would be "all or nothing". 

I'd contact the seller immediately to let him know about the condition of the slab and the comic. See how the seller wants to deal with the situation. Give the seller a chance to make things right before getting aggressive. If the seller had any smarts, the book would have been insured. He claims it as a loss, you get your money back, he gets the book back. 

If that doesn't work, I'd contact CGC customer service to see if they will reholder the comic on their dime. They could also offer pressing service if the comic was damaged. The CGC was offering free reholder service for books that were encapsulated during the early part of the current case re-design. They were doing this because the design of the holder was flawed. Many clients were reporting damage to their books. As Bob said, they are usually pretty good about making things right. 

If all else fails, I'd try to go through eBay buyer protection. You can claim that the item described was not the item received. This is sort of a "nuclear option" if you catch my drift, but it's there to protect the buyer. 

Keep us in touch and good luck! 

1 hour ago, migmtl76 said:

Hi Bomber-Bob, thanks for you input. What do you mean by " If CGC feels it is their bad they are very good about making things right " ?
Cheers

I do think you should go the Return route to the Seller first but in situations where CGC acknowledges the book was improperly encapsulated they are very good at addressing the problem. They would ask for you to send the book to them for inspection. Again, go the Return route first and whatever you do, DO NOT remove the book from the slab. Good Luck.

1 hour ago, newshane said:

If that doesn't work, I'd contact CGC customer service to see if they will reholder the comic on their dime. They could also offer pressing service if the comic was damaged. The CGC was offering free reholder service for books that were encapsulated during the early part of the current case re-design. They were doing this because the design of the holder was flawed. Many clients were reporting damage to their books. As Bob said, they are usually pretty good about making things right.

Hey Shane, you wouldn't happen to know the time frame when this was the case, would you?  Seeing this thread makes me want to check thru all the slabs that I have to see if they were graded during this time.  Thanks for all the help.

If you look up the cert. number it says graded 8/28/2018. It's definitely not an "old" new slab. Seems like such a recently graded book should be fixed by CGC. If you were able to return it to the seller I would hope the seller would be able to get them to do something about it ,provided that that person submitted the book.

Screen shot 2018-09-25 at 2.30.50 PM.png

13 minutes ago, BriD. said:

If you look up the cert. number it says graded 8/28/2018. It's definitely not an "old" new slab. Seems like such a recently graded book should be fixed by CGC. If you were able to return it to the seller I would hope the seller would be able to get them to do something about it ,provided that that person submitted the book.

Screen shot 2018-09-25 at 2.30.50 PM.png

BINGO! 

Call the CGC and see what they have to say. You will likely not even have to bother with the seller at all.