• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Comic badly encased purchased from ebay seller
3 3

55 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, newshane said:

BINGO! 

Call the CGC and see what they have to say. You will likely not even have to bother with the seller at all. 

I would return the book to the seller asap. Don't ask him if he'll take it back, go through the ebay system and follow ebays instructions on returning it. Let him deal with CGC. If you deal with CGC and they end up refusing to make you whole you will be out of luck.

5 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

Re: newshane

Thanks for the respond. In a case like this where the comic is damaged, how should I deal with this ?

As seller for a refund (even if he stated no refunds on CGC books on the ebay listing)? Ask CGC for a compensation ? Other solution ?

It's hard to tell if there is damage (top right corner) without opening the plastic.

I recently sold a book on eBay and got an email from the concerned buyer because the book was shifted to the right, similar to how the MM you picture looked.  I also list that I do not accept returns on CGC slabbed books unless the item is not as described in the listing.  Buyer told me that it looked as though the inner seal was broken and took a picture.  I went back and looked over the scans of the book and realized that it was off centered before selling.  There is no inner well in the slab I sold, it was graded in early 2018.  I know that no one opened or messed with this slab because I personally had it graded.

I apologized to the buyer for not noticing the defect and issued a full refund once the comic was returned.  A defective inner seal on a CGC slab is a defect to the CGC slab itself.  If the seller lists the item as a "clean" "mint" or any other variation of defect free slab, then the item is not as described Period.  Stinks for the seller, wasn't their fault if it was encapsulated wrong, but it is really the sellers bad misfortune to deal with, not the buyer.  I also think that the original submitter is more likely to get a free re-holder from CGC whereas the buyer might end up paying for the re-holder or even worse, possibly have it regraded risking a lower grade.

For $3k don't mess with the headache.  Notify the buyer, take lots of pictures, make sure to document that the corner posts and sides of the slab are sealed and undamaged.  Just my opinion and the way I treat buyers and the way I would expect to be treated by sellers.

On the same topic,

Does anyone have a link to a thread on the boards, or possibly CGC site, that documents the different CGC holders over the years with the dates that each slab was in use?  I know there are been some issues with various different CGC slabs and that he CGC top label has changed as well as the disclosure on the back of the top label.  Would be greatly appreciated.  I only found posts on specific CGC holder issues but they were unclear on exact/proximate dates the holders were used.

27 minutes ago, Squad008 said:

On the same topic,

Does anyone have a link to a thread on the boards, or possibly CGC site, that documents the different CGC holders over the years with the dates that each slab was in use?  I know there are been some issues with various different CGC slabs and that he CGC top label has changed as well as the disclosure on the back of the top label.  Would be greatly appreciated.  I only found posts on specific CGC holder issues but they were unclear on exact/proximate dates the holders were used.

This might be what you're looking for

I have seen this before, and it is simply a case of the inner well not being sealed on all 4 sides. I fixed a Walking Dead #1 a little while back for a new board member that had damage to his book from the same issue. The book has slid out from between the open edges of the inner well. 

Edited by joeypost

3 hours ago, newshane said:

BINGO! 

Call the CGC and see what they have to say. You will likely not even have to bother with the seller at all. 

Wow graded 1 month ago !!! I am shocked. Thanks for your help.

Now the seller says he didn't know, hard to believe since in the initial pic scans the comic is not centered !

This is his official answer to me :

Obviously I didn’t know about it. Sometimes the book can move in the CGC holder. I can bang the CGC holder and get the book back to being centered. I am not seeing any damage from the comic book via the pictures you sent me. I do get why you are upset as I am also frustrated but that happened via shipping. Not see again any damage. The book needs to be reholdered by CGC. You can return if you want or I can refund you money that it would it cost to get the book reholdered by CGC.

Somewhere in the shipping there must’ve been a lot of force to do that to the comic so there’s nothing I could do. 

What do you you guys think ? He does have 100% approval in last 12 months and has 3000+ feedback score...so I trusted the seller. 

:whatthe:  

As previously stated, ask to return it for a full refund. Be polite yet firm. Keep all the packaging and correspondence. In cases like this, eBay will almost always side with the buyer. Let the seller deal with CGC if he wishes, that shouldn't be your problem. Don't let him snowball you---the responsibility is on him.  

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Dude, don't go soft on this. Send it back for a refund. Do it NOW !

If I send it back to the seller how do I know if he we give me a full refund once I sent it ?

I just want to protect myself. I paid with paypal btw.

Also, If the comic gets more damage during the shipping, what then ?

I am a newbie, so not sure how to go about this (with ebay, paypal) Thanks !

1 hour ago, migmtl76 said:

Wow graded 1 month ago !!! I am shocked. Thanks for your help.

Now the seller says he didn't know, hard to believe since in the initial pic scans the comic is not centered !

This is his official answer to me :

Obviously I didn’t know about it. Sometimes the book can move in the CGC holder. I can bang the CGC holder and get the book back to being centered. I am not seeing any damage from the comic book via the pictures you sent me. I do get why you are upset as I am also frustrated but that happened via shipping. Not see again any damage. The book needs to be reholdered by CGC. You can return if you want or I can refund you money that it would it cost to get the book reholdered by CGC.

Somewhere in the shipping there must’ve been a lot of force to do that to the comic so there’s nothing I could do. 

What do you you guys think ? He does have 100% approval in last 12 months and has 3000+ feedback score...so I trusted the seller. 

He offered you a return. It's a no-brainer. 

This is why I encourage people to contact the seller FIRST, instead of trying to go over their heads through protection. At least give someone the chance to make things right. 

Bravo on the seller for agreeing to accept the return. 

11 minutes ago, newshane said:

He offered you a return. It's a no-brainer. 

This is why I encourage people to contact the seller FIRST, instead of trying to go over their heads through protection. At least give someone the chance to make things right. 

Bravo on the seller for agreeing to accept the return. 

So just to be sure, do I use the return item button in ebay, then complete the form and send it ? (see bellow)

Or do I do another process with paypal ?

Has anyone  done this before ?

Thanks

damaged.JPG

I agree with the consensus here - return the book for a full refund. The seller will need to work something out with CGC once he receives the book back.

I will say that I believe the percentage of comics damaged inside the CGC holder is higher with these new cases. Either there's too much "wiggle room" inside the case and book shifts around like yours when jostled or, even worse, the static electricity inside the case holds the cover in place and the book's staples detach if the slab is impacted in any way. As bad as this looks, I think there's a decent chance the book retains the grade after a reholder. Regardless, I wouldn't take the chance and would definitely return it based on the value of the book itself.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, migmtl76 said:

So just to be sure, do I use the return item button in ebay, then complete the form and send it ? (see bellow)

Has anyone  done this before ?

Thanks

damaged.JPG

Yes, I've used this form before. Not only is it easy and convenient, it shows that you're serious and it's the official document eBay will look at when they review your case. Package the book extremely well when you send it back and take photos of what the book and package look like before you return them. Post the photos onto the eBay return page so you have a visual record of everything in one convenient location and don't forget to take pictures of the outside of the box with both addresses clearly visible and your postal receipt with the tracking number on it. When packing the book, I'd use the "cardboard sandwich" encased in bubble wrap method. Use at least two pieces of sturdy cardboard and make the cardboard at least half an inch bigger on all 4 sides than the size of the slab. Center the slabbed book and secure it to one of the pieces of cardboard using masking tape or packing tape (make sure the slabbed book is securely sealed inside the plastic CGC bag first). Once the book is secured to one of the pieces of cardboard (always tape all 4 sides), center the second piece of cardboard to the other side of the slab and tape that to the first piece of cardboard, effectively creating a cardboard sandwich. Wrap the sandwich with plenty of bubble wrap, tape the bubble wrap securely to keep it from unfolding and then place that inside a sturdy box with additional packing material to keep it from moving around inside the box. Wadded up plastic bags such as those from the grocery store work very well for this purpose. And don't skimp on the bubble wrap or other packing material---your goal here is to get your money back and not give the seller any reason to deny your claim. Once the entire package is inside the closed box (but before you tape it closed) test it for movement by gently shaking the box. If it moves, add additional packing material until it won't move at all when you gently shake it. Then tape the box closed very securely using a good quality shipping or packing tape, and don't forget to put clear tape over your address and the seller's address so the ink can't be accidentally smeared on the outside of the box. When you return it, I wouldn't advise sending it Media Mail, either. It's going to cost you more to ship it Priority, but again, your goal is to get your money back, and Priority Mail is still fairly inexpensive considering the value of the refund involved. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's actually not that difficult. I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask---you came to the right place.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how your situation progresses---we love a happy ending...  :wishluck:

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, migmtl76 said:

Yes, this is the correct form. Just follow the instructions provided. In the "add details" section, write a simple explanation of what happened. You can also attach up to 10 photos (you probably won't need that many) and once posted, the photos can't be deleted. You'll find it's actually a pretty simple process...   

1 minute ago, Foley said:

I personally wouldn't have shifted the book back into place.

Also, I would have initiated a return a long time ago, how come you waited so long if you don't mind me asking?

Yes I waited too much. I'm a very busy parent :)

However I'm initiationg the process now.

So you're saying I should have left the comic as is to help my case?