• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS Sketch Cover Procedure Question
2 2

6 posts in this topic

I searched but could not find an answer -

I'm attending Baltimore CC this weekend and hoping to get a Mike Zeck sketch cover.

How does the witnessing work for a sketch cover? The book will sit at his table until he has a chance to get to it. 

I'm assuming I can just go to the table when the book is done w/ the witness and pick up the sketch cover from the artist himself - I just want to confirm.

To throw another wrinkle in - if I want Beatty to ink the cover - does the witness have to take it from Zeck to Beatty, and then pick it up from Beatty?

I know this seems silly, but I'd like to get a yellow label and I don't want to screw it up.

Any info is appreciated.

If it is a raw book or a Blue label, you just have to bring a CGC witness to Mike's table when you pick up the cover. The witness will then bring you back to the CGC booth where you can submit the cover for Yellow label designation. If the book is already a Yellow SS slab, CGC will have to also crack the slab and bring you to Mike's table to drop off the cover. If you are cracking a slab, first make sure that you are actually on Mike's commission list for the show and also plan for enough time for CGC to open the slab (since things can get a bit hectic during a show). Good luck.

1. A CGC witness will accompany you to Zeck's table and the witness will pick up the book.  That witness can then take it, with you, to Beatty's table to be inked.  Once completed, you and the witness will return and the witness will pick up the book and return to the CGC booth.  

2.  For a fee, you can find a reputable facilitator to do all that for you. 

ivdyer:

Thank you for the information.  I had much the same questions.

How would one go about finding a facilitator?  Would you be so kind as to point me toward a thread that might explain the process for getting a yellow label if the artist isn't at a comic con?  For example, I'd like to contact Stanley Lau and see if he could do a cover for me, but I don't have a clue how to get started on that process.  I did a search of the boards, but I couldn't find an answer.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

On 9/25/2018 at 6:36 PM, Neuberello said:

ivdyer:

How would one go about finding a facilitator?  Would you be so kind as to point me toward a thread that might explain the process for getting a yellow label if the artist isn't at a comic con?  For example, I'd like to contact Stanley Lau and see if he could do a cover for me, but I don't have a clue how to get started on that process.  I did a search of the boards, but I couldn't find an answer.

Did anyone ever answer this for you?  Artgerm has some pretty strict rules on sketch covers, and he’s EXPENSIVE. 

On 9/25/2018 at 6:36 PM, Neuberello said:

ivdyer:

Hi Neuberello:

Contacting fellow board member 'dscott' (Doug Scott) is your best bet in terms of getting a sketch cover from Artgerm.  Or you can try contacting Doug thru his website ComicSketchArt.com.  He has done several sketch opps. thru Artgerm's agent in the past, so he already has an established relationship with them.  From personal experience, if you contact Artgerm and he responds at all, he will just direct you towards his agent.  And if you try contacting Artgerm's agent, you most likely will not get a reply.

Doug would have the highest probability of getting a sketch from Artgerm at SDCC or NYCC, or even outside of the convention circuit.  Other facilitators like 'Kwan Chang' or 'Rich_Henn' may be able help you at SDCC or NYCC.  Doug, Kwan, and Rich are all contactable via this board, and all three are very reputable guys.

Keep in mind, Artgerm's rate for a colored sketch cover is $750 USD.  Expect the level of effort that you are seeing with his "200 sketches" that he is currently posting on his Facebook page.  If it is just a black and white sketch, then his rate will be cheaper.  They will be bust or waist-up type sketches only.  I've never seen Artgerm do a full figure sketch cover.

Goodluck!

Edited by modelmaker