• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counting unbagged comics
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Hi

I have an appointment to buy a large lot of 10 boxes of bronze age comics from an estate. The person selling is very edgy and doesnt want me spending hours looking through the collection.

I can assess the value and my offer with no problem but i need to be able to count them quickly. They are all unbagged and they are NOT in standard comic boxes, they are in irregular size cardboard boxes.

What is the best way to count them? I was thinking of bringing a ruler and just count how many comics fit per foot - then do the math. what do you think?

1 hour ago, moemaya said:

What is the best way to count them? I was thinking of bringing a ruler and just count how many comics fit per foot - then do the math. what do you think?

That sounds pretty good. 

2 hours ago, Jerkfro said:
3 hours ago, moemaya said:

That sounds pretty good. 

Nah.  52 pager books and Giant Sized Annuals will mess things up. 

Pretty simple. Measure or eyeball 50 comics in a stack at home. Throw in some giant sizes and annuals. Use that thickness to estimate how many comics you are looking at. And then lowball, since you apparently aren't being allowed to determine exactly what you are buying.

Bring a box with you. Better yet, bring a couple boxes with you. Fill three boxes, see what percent of the collection is left.

Use Blobs method to see how many comics fit in your long box. I've noticed not all long boxes are the same length.

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

Bring a box with you. Better yet, bring a couple boxes with you. Fill three boxes, see what percent of the collection is left.

Use Blobs method to see how many comics fit in your long box. I've noticed not all long boxes are the same length.

I thought the rule of thumb was that about 225 unbagged/boarded regular size issues fit in a long box, or is that too much?

Bronze Age books  will include hundred page DCs, as well as 52 and 68 page books.  Lots of annuals.

I've noticed long boxes bought off the internet can vary by almost an inch.

When I sell wholesale, I go with four boxes per thousand for moderns. 

Edited by shadroch