• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Al Williamson strip art contest

7 posts in this topic

Trying something a little off the wall here... I've always loved Al Williamson (who doesn't?!) and don't have an example. That other thread got me thinking this is definitely a gap in my collection. There are lots of strip examples flying around for sale lately, but what constitutes a great one?

So, here's the contest... From now until the end of NYCC on October 7, post your favorite Williamson strip examples. Only one image per post. Then, everyone can vote by clicking the Like button. I will tally up all of the likes a day or two after we close for new entries.

You don't have to own the art! It's great if you do, but if you want to post a beauty from someone else's CAF or website, please link back to the source. You can also post scans or pics of the published strips. It doesn't have to be OA, but be selective.

And please give us your thoughts as to WHY you selected that particular piece.

Post as many entries as you want, but just one image per post. Otherwise, it's hard to tally the voting.

OK, have at it! Let's find the greatest strip page Williamson ever illustrated. This should be fun!

P.S. If this goes well, I have a few other topics and artists we can do too.

Edited by BCarter27

Here is a strip I own from X-9 from January of 1975. What I love about this strip is the inking and how Al spotted the blacks. Especially love the strong shadows on Doctor Seven. Plus the Giant robot and Seven reminds me of his Flash Gordon work.

secretagent1_13_75.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

Interesting idea.  Al produced lots of great strip-artwork, which I think you're meaning newspaper-strip art?  That kind of makes it a X-9/Corrigan territory (and a few other things I can't think of right now)?

I'd lean more towards his comic-book stuff.  For example (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't qualify with what you have in mind) . . . from the collection of Jim Halperin:

Beautiful! But let's keep it to just newspaper strip art. Sundays are OK too.

Here is one I own, published on my 10th birthday in 1976. It is bigger than my scanner and scanned waaay before cell phone cameras so there you have it (or most of it at least). I think Cori gave me a few choices and I chose this one for the date but also because of the variety of line on it. I get a little bit of everything here!

birthdaycorrigan.jpg