• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending comics for Grading CGC
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Hi guys !

Here is my story :

I collected comics between 1990-93 when I was a teen, mostly marvel 80s and new comics (bagged and boarded them all).

Recently I went through my collection that has been in boxes for 25 years.

I've found about 50 key issues so I wanted to send them for CGC Grading (in Florida I believe).

I live in Canada (Montreal) so this will add another layer of complexity.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me on sending the comics.

For example :

• Proper packaging
  • Insurance (value)
  • Courrier service (recommended)
  • Custom issues (and avoid taxes upon return trip to Canada, because they are my own books)
  • CGC pricing (I don't mind waiting 2 months, so)
  • Payment process with CGC (do they bill you after the grading)
  • Grading at Montreal Comiccon and mini-con?
  • Who pays for shipping back to the customer (CGC or me?)
  • Using a CGC Authorized Member Dealer to send the books to CGC (I didn't find any in my area however)

There are probably many topics that already exist in the forum.

Feel free to post links to the best topics for dealing with CGC grading.

Thanks in advance :)

21 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Hi guys !

Here is my story :

I collected comics between 1990-93 when I was a teen, mostly marvel 80s and new comics (bagged and boarded them all).

Recently I went through my collection that has been in boxes for 25 years.

I've found about 50 key issues so I wanted to send them for CGC Grading (in Florida I believe).

I live in Canada (Montreal) so this will add another layer of complexity.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me on sending the comics.

For example :

• Proper packaging
  • Insurance (value)
  • Courrier service (recommended)
  • Custom issues (and avoid taxes upon return trip to Canada, because they are my own books)
  • CGC pricing (I don't mind waiting 2 months, so)
  • Payment process with CGC (do they bill you after the grading)
  • Grading at Montreal Comiccon and mini-con?
  • Who pays for shipping back to the customer (CGC or me?)
  • Using a CGC Authorized Member Dealer to send the books to CGC (I didn't find any in my area however)

There are probably many topics that already exist in the forum.

Feel free to post links to the best topics for dealing with CGC grading.

Thanks in advance :)

Sorry but I had to laugh at your question as to who pays for shipping back to you, after all CGC is a business that wants to make money so of course you pay for shipping both ways. I have to suggest you look through the CGC website which should answer many of your questions, especially about pricing, which depends on a number of factors. I'm sure a fellow Canadian will reply about the Canadian specific questions.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

THere's some very specific answers, which I won't answer, but I will give this advice.

BEST:  You will most likely get the best value paying for onsite grading at a Canadian convention, IF there is onsite-grading at any of the Canadian conventions (I don't know if there is).  Check the Calendar.

2nd BEST:  Do the CGC ONSITE Grading at a convention either somewhat near the Canadian border OR in the US that you were planning to go to anyways (or make a special trip).  Check the calendar.  NOTE:  There MIGHT be some customs issues going over the border, where you might need to declare something depending on the value of what you're bringing.

3rd BEST:  GO TO A Canadian convention where CGC is at, and submit your books there.  At least you can pay on the spot, have them help you fill out your forms, AND you don't have to worry about shipping TO FLORIDA.  They will also help you work out insurance and return shipping, which you would also pay for.

4th Best:  Depending how often you go to the US, mail from the US, and have everything sent back to a US address, and bring it all back yourself.  Note of course there might be tax or customs issues going over the border.

Insurance:  You pay all the shipping and insurance.  You should insure for as much as you would hope to get back in the event that the box was lost, which is really up to you and your own calculated math based on your expected grades.  Of course the more insure for, the more you pay.  But it's really up to you.  NOTE: That your declared insurance value MIGHT impact your customs values.

Authorized dealer:  If you don't have an authorized dealer in your area, don't worry about it.  You can consider getting a membership to get equal savings, especially if you plan on submitting 50 books or more.

Pricing:  See the website

38 minutes ago, revat said:

THere's some very specific answers, which I won't answer, but I will give this advice.

BEST:  You will most likely get the best value paying for onsite grading at a Canadian convention, IF there is onsite-grading at any of the Canadian conventions (I don't know if there is).  Check the Calendar.

2nd BEST:  Do the CGC ONSITE Grading at a convention either somewhat near the Canadian border OR in the US that you were planning to go to anyways (or make a special trip).  Check the calendar.  NOTE:  There MIGHT be some customs issues going over the border, where you might need to declare something depending on the value of what you're bringing.

3rd BEST:  GO TO A Canadian convention where CGC is at, and submit your books there.  At least you can pay on the spot, have them help you fill out your forms, AND you don't have to worry about shipping TO FLORIDA.  They will also help you work out insurance and return shipping, which you would also pay for.

4th Best:  Depending how often you go to the US, mail from the US, and have everything sent back to a US address, and bring it all back yourself.  Note of course there might be tax or customs issues going over the border.

Insurance:  You pay all the shipping and insurance.  You should insure for as much as you would hope to get back in the event that the box was lost, which is really up to you and your own calculated math based on your expected grades.  Of course the more insure for, the more you pay.  But it's really up to you.  NOTE: That your declared insurance value MIGHT impact your customs values.

Authorized dealer:  If you don't have an authorized dealer in your area, don't worry about it.  You can consider getting a membership to get equal savings, especially if you plan on submitting 50 books or more.

Pricing:  See the website

Thanks revat for the helpful information !

Being in Canada surely is a disadvantage for grading but the exchange rate is killing me too not just the import taxes LOL

Cheers !

On 9/29/2018 at 6:01 AM, Chaotic_Kindness said:

Is there a form of "insufficiently_thoughtful_person Guide" for screening comics before sending them to CGC to avoid getting a 8.0 or less (any grade that would make it not worth the time and money)

If you send in enough books, you can have them pre-screened to see if they will pass your desired grade. I believe 20 is the minimum to send in.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, Not A Clone said:

If you send in enough books, you can have them pre-screened to see if they will pass your desired grade. I believe 20 is the minimum to send in.

25 books minimum.

https://www.cgccomics.com/services/prescreen.asp

Based on the number of books you want to grade and the details you provided, what we have here is a case of someone who may be about to spend a LARGE amount of money on grading fees, only to end up disappointed 5 months down the road when the books come back to you.  I’m defining disappointed here as ending up with encased books that are not worth the money you spent to grade them.  Several years down the road, if you are still involved in the hobby, you may look back at this submission as a very expensive lesson.

1. If you aren’t already, become confident in your ability to predict the grade CGC will assign your books.  Grade your books honestly, accurately and under a bright light.

2. Subscribe to GPA, check recent values, and make sure each book is worth the cost of grading.  (There aren’t many books in the time period you mention worth grading in conditions under 9.8).

3. Learn about 3rd party pressing and consider making that part of your strategy.

4. Call comic shops in Burlington VT and see if any of them are CGC member dealers that will help you submit books, then make a day trip down there.

After your grading and pricing research, I would pick the 5 best books, start from there, and see what the results are before submitting more,

Good luck.

I have 110-120 comics from the mid 70’s-early 90’s, these all came from a monthly subscriber who kept them in plastic sleeves.  All have pages that are off white at best.  Almost none of them have a single water spot though.  Are these good candidates for CFC to clean, and get straightened out before encasing?  I’m not a fan of altering anything still in its original condition.  

image.jpg

5 hours ago, Columbine said:

I have 110-120 comics from the mid 70’s-early 90’s, these all came from a monthly subscriber who kept them in plastic sleeves.  All have pages that are off white at best.  Almost none of them have a single water spot though.  Are these good candidates for CFC to clean, and get straightened out before encasing?  I’m not a fan of altering anything still in its original condition.  

image.jpg

At a glance, those books do not look to be candidates, condition wise, to clean/press/slab. However, I am not familiar with the value of Whitmans. Are these all Whitmans ? BTW, you really need to get these into bags and boards.

On 9/26/2018 at 10:38 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

Sorry but I had to laugh at your question as to who pays for shipping back to you, after all CGC is a business that wants to make money so of course you pay for shipping both ways. I have to suggest you look through the CGC website which should answer many of your questions, especially about pricing, which depends on a number of factors. I'm sure a fellow Canadian will reply about the Canadian specific questions.

I thought the comment about having 50 keys (in conjunction with the fact that the books are from '90-'93) was amusing.  I'm curious to know what books OP is considering sending in for grading since some of them might not be worth it (especially considering the premium paid as he's from Canada).

On 10/11/2018 at 9:44 PM, Not A Clone said:
On 10/11/2018 at 10:05 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Thanks for the correction. I'm getting ready to send some in for pre-screen next week. I better pull 5 more for screening (:

After re-reading the CGC answer, they stated they are flexible.  You probably could get away with 20.