• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is raw comic deterioration over time a good reason to slab?

44 posts in this topic

Would love to hear fellow boardies’ thoughts in this.

I’m leaning towards slabbing a large number of raws that, XX years from now, may well fare worse in condition/PQ/etc.  Esp. non-Moderns.

Also: Retention of value.  All things considered, 50 years from now it’s quite possible that the condition will be worse off slabbed or un-slabbed.  Slabbing now will reflect the current grade (for better or worse) for as long as a comic is in the holder.

Edited by exitmusicblue

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Holders do not preserve PQ.  

You need to keep you comics in a cool dark dry place to preserve PQ.  This advice applies to slabbed books.

Comics can be damaged in holders, so do not assume that putting a book in a holder is cryogenic preservation.  

Right — how about retention of value?  All things considered, 50 years from now it’s quite possible that the condition will be worse off slabbed or un-slabbed.  Slabbing now will reflect the current grade (for better or worse) for as long as a comic is in the holder.

25 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Right — how about retention of value?  All things considered, 50 years from now it’s quite possible that the condition will be worse off slabbed or un-slabbed.  Slabbing now will reflect the current grade (for better or worse) for as long as a comic is in the holder.

Many folks only holder their books shortly before they sell them.  Consequently, I suspect that the concept that a holder has a "sell by" date will become more and more prevalent, and a 50 year old holder will be viewed with some serious skepticism by that time.  The failure to reholder a book that is that old may raise red flags.  The mantra "Buy the book, not the holder" is already widely voiced.

Edited by sfcityduck

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

Many folks only holder their books shortly before they sell them.  Consequently, I suspect that the concept that a holder has a "sell by" date will become more and more prevalent, and a 50 year old holder will be viewed with some serious skepticism by that time.  The mantra "Buy the book, not the holder" is already widely voiced.

I hear you there.  The generation of the holder may become increasingly relevant.

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Nah, they use humidified argon for the Constitution.

I never said it wasnt humidified I just said it was Argon!!

1 minute ago, Mercury Man said:

Said it before-  CGC has only been around for 18 years.   What if at the year 20, it is discovered that these holders start turning your books puke green.   Probably unlikely, but the long term storage of these is yet proven. 

Point is, I go with the Acid Free boards, Mylar, Micro-Chamber paper, cool dark place, and call it a well preserved collection.   Comics from the 1930's survived well by being handled properly.  That is the key to preservation.  Don't let this case lull you into some sort of complacency. 

What if over time the comics get pressed in slabs?

With our new nanotechnology we can regenerate your comics to their original state!  Nanoslab will replace pieces, heal tears rips and even marvel value stamps!  It will renew staples rusted beyond belief!  It is NOT restoration because with our highly advanced nanobot comic menders, it actually seeks out and recovers the original molecules!!  Try nanoslab today for a GUARANTEED 10.0!

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:
25 minutes ago, Schmakt said:

Is there a time limit on the reholdering process (without also getting a regrade?)

No.... :) no it is a paid service that doesn't require regrading....

Sometimes people get a reholder done when a slab is damaged in transit. If the case is damaged cgc will make sure the book was not damaged. 

3 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Folks keep saying slabs unequivocally do not contribute to preservation. What about the micro chamber paper? I always thought that provided some benefit...?

anything that decreases oxygen and moisture contributes to preservation there's no question slabs do that.  Thats the whole point of Tupperware.