• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your favorite Curt Swan covers-please.
2 2

174 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Jaylam said:

One of my favorite Superman covers from the Silver Age wasn't even drawn by Swan. Can you guess which one? Hint: Infantino and Anderson.

This would have been an awesome post in a thread titled "Post Your Favorite Covers NOT Drawn by Curt Swan"...   :baiting:

50 minutes ago, Senormac said:

:applause:  great thread  !! 

I'll say! 

In terms of "house styles", Swan was in some sense DC's superior predecessor to Marvel's Buscema brothers, all rolled up into a singular non-Kirby influenced titan -- i.e., a reliable journeyman at first, and then a master craftsman who eventually became THE definitive artist for the first and best of National's only two truly great properties.

Swan's expert storytelling (heavily influenced, in my view at least, by Reed Crandall), lithe women, nuanced facial expressions, and (yes, it really does matter) draftsman-like backgrounds were so smooth and natural that it was terribly easy, and also a terrible mistake, not to notice them.

Take heed, modern artists: Swan made the fantastic look plausible and the everyday look real.  Wow.

So, naturally, DC put him out to pasture.  What a damned, dirty shame...

Edited by jools&jim

He had a natural affinity for drawing the human body in any angle or pose without inventing muscles and skeletal articulation, completely natural looking.  Compare to:

The-Mighty-Thor-152-01.jpg

I believe Curt Swan was on one of the TV sales programs (QVC or HSN or something like it) back in the early 90's promoting comic books they were selling in a segment. Does anyone remember this? I've looked on YouTube and other places and cannot find anything about it.

15 hours ago, kav said:

his splash pages were nothing to sneeze at either

This was my favourite splash page of his, from Adventure Comics 369: worthy of making the cover, which in this case went to Neal Adams.

ADVENTURE COMICS #369 (1968)- This iconic splash-page introducing Mordru was both pencilled AND inked by Curt Swan!Cover for Adventure Comics (DC, 1938 series) #369

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

This was my favourite splash page of his, from Adventure Comics 369: worthy of making the cover, which in this case went to Neal Adams.

ADVENTURE COMICS #369 (1968)- This iconic splash-page introducing Mordru was both pencilled AND inked by Curt Swan!Cover for Adventure Comics (DC, 1938 series) #369

One of my favorite Swan splash pages, too. Also the World’s Finest 172 posted earlier. Choosing from covers is very hard as all his work is so impressive.

5 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

I had been meaning to post this book for a while. It's one of my favorite Silver Age Superman covers.

SUPS_147slab.jpg

Bought my CGC copy from Bob Storms about 7 years ago! I had read the story as a kid in a reprint book in the late 70’s. Bought for sheer nostalgia and love the cover. 

1 minute ago, frozentundraguy said:

Interesting observation. Here's another example, and a pretty cool 4 part Swan cover.

scan0194.jpg

He could draw any age effectively.  Many artists just draw children by giving an adult head a small body and old people just a face with a bunch of lines on it.

299-1.jpg