• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mailing books to artists/creators for CGC

5 posts in this topic

I have possibly a rookie question. So you can send books off to creators/artists for them to sign/sketch with a letter from CGC they fill out and sign authorizing that it is their art or its their signature on the book. Well are you able to send the same book to several people to sign and just include an extra letter for each additional person signing and still have it all be verified? For ex.(This is only an example) You send a book to Stan Lee with a CGC letter, he signs the book and the letter, then he mails the book to Jack Kirby, he signs both the book and letter, then mails it to CGC. CGC receives the package and sees both letters are signed, the book is signed by both, all is good, yellow label. 

Or do they only accept 1 letter per signed item. Meaning you would then need to get it cracked at a show or through a private facilitator and get it signed by the next person you wanted and graded again?

I think in general its pretty rare to send to a creator for a signature.  Typically you send to a CGC authorized facilitator, who witnesses the signature.  If you want the FACILITATOR to hold to the book to get a sig from someone else before submitting, that is sometimes an option, you should contact the specific facilitator about opportunities.

In some cases for sketches OR for special release copies that come signed, I'm thinking the chain of custody has to be kept pretty intact.  So mailed directly from the creator to CGC.  So if you want to arrange something VERRRRRYYYY specific, you can probably ask CGC about it, but what your describing doesn't seem like its a thing.

The only person I’ve ever done that scenario was Neil Adams. I paid approximately $400 to have sketch  commissioned and and the book was sent to CGC under my account and I paid extra to do it.  I have also dealt with twin city comics where I have sent them some books to be signed at the specific show. Books were then dropped off at CGC 

If the artist is someone that CGC is familiar with and you have a CGC account, you can have the artist send the sketch cover directly to them (along with a signed Creator's agreement form- that CGC can email you) and have the book submitted to your account for grading. If you don't have an account or you wish additional signatures, you will have to go through an accredited CGC facilitator to coordinate the signatures and submission. I have done both several times without issues.