• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Norm Breyfogle In Memoriam

19 posts in this topic

Norm's Batman work remains amazing. He really changed the Batscape. His Gotham and Batmobiles blew my mind. To me he remains one of the quintessential Bat artists. Here's a couple Breyfogle  from my collection.

Demon by Norm Breyfogle 1989.jpg

Who's Who in the DC Universe #2 pg 39 Norm Breyfogle  1990.jpg

R.I.P. Norm Breyfogle

Norm was the artist on Batman right when I was entering high school and at the peak of my comic reading. I remember going to San Diego during his run and having him and Alan Grant sign almost their entire run of books. His Batman was f*ucking awesome. He drew an intense Batman and his art had a kinetic energy to it. He brought his dynamic style to every character he drew. Here's one of my favorite pieces...a proposal for a new Creeper series that never happened. It would have been fantastic! Thank you Norm all the joy and entertainment you provided.

IMG_0677.JPG

Unlike most people, I didn't discover Norm Breyfogle's work on Batman but rather on the Ultraverse series Prime. I still remember being at my LCS as a teenager and opening that first issue. Everything just seemed so big, larger than life I guess you would say. From just those first couple pages I was hooked. Later in life, I was fortunate enough to meet Norm at the inaugural Akron comic con in 2012. As you can imagine, he was wonderful, and at the time I hoped he would make regular appearances at the show. Sadly he suffered his stroke less than two years later and now he has passed on.

RIP Norm Breyfogle.

Below are some of my favorite Norm Breyfogle Prime pieces that I've been fortunate enough to acquire.

jVu0xQpz_0609180652101sbpi.jpg

Prime-Ann-40-41-Breyfogle.jpg

Prime-4-1-Breyfogle.jpg

Rest In Peace, Norm.

Norm was my favorite artist during his Detective run, which I jumped on at Tec 589 and is one of my all-time favorites.  His art was dynamic and energetic while remaining loose and nimble.  He and Alan Grant captured the detective-aspect and athleticism of the character without going “grim and gritty”.  One of the most underrated teams in the history of comics.  When I read their stories, I often said to myself “this is what a superhero comic book should be!”

I met Norm once.... finally.... around 2005 in New York and he was super friendly and generous.  I was so excited to meet him since I had been a fan for twenty years. 

I was heartbroken to hear about his struggles following his stroke, and even more so now.  Brilliant artist and good person... I offer my sincere condolences to his family and friends.