• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New York Comicon Newbie
1 1

26 posts in this topic

I have been to New York plenty of times but going to NYC Comicon for the first time. I will be there Thursday! Any suggestions for must sees at the show?

Also....staying in Coney Island for the first time. Suggestions for things to do there are super appreciated too!

Thanks in advance!

@ SS

Artist Alley has been relegated to a corner room in the sub-basement.  Be prepared for the death trap of the single file escalator to go down there.

I would study the floor plans and figure out in advance who you want to see first then move across the throngs of people accordingly.  It also helps to know in advance where all the rest rooms are.

For non comic art, "the block" is a section designated for pop, graphitti, street art that is interesting to see.

I hope to see you there.

Cheers!

N.

My first con of this size ever, I am lucky enough to have a New York native waiting on me to hold my hand.  This con, however, appears to be quite overwhelming so I'm glad you asked.  The panels list alone is exhausting and so thorough that I wondered if they were repeating (they weren't).

Not on topic, but damn do they make this process from ticketing, to badging, to authorizing, to pre-registering via email linked/authorized badge a total headache.  Must be to make the anime crowd feel far superior due to their mad IT skills. 

Restroom scouting, great damn idea and never thought of that specifically.  I've always just worried about coffee and ended up in a line dancing around like a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces.

Is 'the block' interior or exterior? Artist alley in location? 

I've heard generally negative things about this con as far as layout, execution, venue, lines, time, etc...compared to many others.  Hoping this isn't quite as bad as expected. I will make the most of a rare event regardless.

11 hours ago, Stan Singh said:

I have been to New York plenty of times but going to NYC Comicon for the first time. I will be there Thursday! Any suggestions for must sees at the show?

Also....staying in Coney Island for the first time. Suggestions for things to do there are super appreciated too!

Thanks in advance!

one of the top pizza joints in nyc is in coney island. 

https://www.totonnosconeyisland.com/

My girlfriend and I went last year for the first time. It was both our first convention. Honestly it wasn’t too bad or overwhelming and we didn’t even know the exhibitor passes we had last year for is in the show early until our second day when Doc Joe told us. Oops.

We did Friday-Sunday last year. This year we will be doing Thursday-Saturday and skipping Sunday. Sunday is family day with discounted kid tickets and there are just too many strollers. It’s annoying.

22 hours ago, Stan Singh said:

Thanks in advance!

I was just in Coney Island yesterday for my son's nursery school field trip.  Went to Deno's Wonder Wheel Amusement Park and hung out on the beach/boardwalk as well.  I think it's a nice time of year to be there - not too hot, not too crowded.  

Just keep an eye out for troublemakers. :eek: 

coneywarriors.thumb.jpg.02b9c6cf9b8259d6782c4cf064e43f34.jpg

8 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I was just in Coney Island yesterday for my son's nursery school field trip.  Went to Deno's Wonder Wheel Amusement Park and hung out on the beach/boardwalk as well.  I think it's a nice time of year to be there - not too hot, not too crowded.  

Just keep an eye out for troublemakers. :eek: 

coneywarriors.thumb.jpg.02b9c6cf9b8259d6782c4cf064e43f34.jpg

These days I'd say people would be looking for this:

Image result for mr robot coney island

5 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

These days I'd say people would be looking for this:

Image result for mr robot coney island

LOL, true; I thought about posting a Coney pic from "Mr. Robot", but, let's face it, Rami Malek and Carly Chaikin...not nearly as intimidating. :) 

29 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

LOL, true; I thought about posting a Coney pic from "Mr. Robot", but, let's face it, Rami Malek and Carly Chaikin...not nearly as intimidating. :) 

I don't know, I might be slightly intimidated by Carly if I met her.  Rami seems like Puck, a creature of chaos and anarchy.

18 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

@ SS

Artist Alley has been relegated to a corner room in the sub-basement.  Be prepared for the death trap of the single file escalator to go down there.

I would study the floor plans and figure out in advance who you want to see first then move across the throngs of people accordingly.  It also helps to know in advance where all the rest rooms are.

For non comic art, "the block" is a section designated for pop, graphitti, street art that is interesting to see.

I hope to see you there.

Cheers!

N.

I will definitely see you there! Will you have a table? I would love to meet in person!

3 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

"The Block" is not in artist alley.  It is usually on the main level on the south side of the convention center (34th Street). 

Thanks, I found the link on NYCC site, and thanks for pointing it out. My friend from NY has informed me this is now on the agenda, great idea too.