• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying insurance for my collection
1 1

7 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, captain_em said:

I'm getting ready to purchase insurance coverage for my collection. I'll probably go with Collectible Insurance Services. Does anyone have any advice or input before I sign on? Thanks!

C.I.S. seems to be the consensus choice here. I've had them for years but never made a claim. I'm really not aware of a good alternative. Any kind of  Homeowners Policy needs a comprehensive scheduling of every book. C.I.S. only requires scheduling for any books over 5K .

24 minutes ago, Wipple said:

I use CIS as well and never have had a problem or a claim. I did get an email this week stating that new policy is a schedule is only needed for items or sets worth over 25k. That was a great update.(thumbsu

Wipple, thanks so much for mentioning the increase to 25K. Without knowing about this change, I just had a renewal effective for 10/01, where I scheduled a bunch of new books @ 5K.  They require that you have enough coverage for all your scheduled items. Thus my scheduling of these books resulted in an increase in coverage and premiums. I called and checked and you are correct, however, I was not notified. Anyway, bottom line, I can now decrease my coverage and get some money back ! Thanks again !!!!

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Wipple, thanks so much for mentioning the increase to 25K. Without knowing about this change, I just had a renewal effective for 10/01, where I scheduled a bunch of new books @ 5K.  They require that you have enough coverage for all your scheduled items. Thus my scheduling of these books resulted in an increase in coverage and premiums. I called and checked and you are correct, however, I was not notified. Anyway, bottom line, I can now decrease my coverage and get some money back ! Thanks again !!!!

:headbang:

I have been using CIS for 9 years, have never had to file a claim.

You name the amount of coverage you want and can raise/lower it at anytime without hassle.

When I got my policy in 2009 I sent them a complete list/inventory of everything I have and I send them an upgraded list with all the new items  that were added each year.

I keep a complete inventory of everything I have (comics/collectibles) and everything is photographed and saved on my computer and backed up on two flashdrives.