• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Krigstein's 8-page "Master Race" OA at Heritage. How Much?

123 posts in this topic

November 15 - 17 2018 auction. 

Just a number. No talk. No words. No long winded this or that.

Just a number.

How much? 

I have no idea which is why I'm coming to the experts! 

Edited by NoMan

Here’s the link

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/bernie-krigstein-impact-1-complete-8-page-story-master-race-original-art-ec-1955-andlt-total-8-/p/7192-118001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Frankly, to me, this should be donated to the Library of Congress or the Billy Ireland collection at Ohio State. Maybe to the Lucas Museuem. It’s almost obscene that this historic masterpiece is being sold for filthy lucre. 

AFC23D65-539F-42C7-981E-CAF333504989.gif

Edited by PhilipB2k17

24 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Here’s the link

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/bernie-krigstein-impact-1-complete-8-page-story-master-race-original-art-ec-1955-andlt-total-8-/p/7192-118001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Frankly, to me, this should be donated to the Library of Congress or the Billy Ireland collection at Ohio State. Maybe to the Lucas Museuem. It’s almost obscene that this historic masterpiece is being sold for filthy lucre. 

AFC23D65-539F-42C7-981E-CAF333504989.gif

Agreed! Not everything in this hobby should not be about "how much is it worth?" or "what do you think it will go for?" And do you want just a number? Okay, how about: 10. This complete story is a Perfect 10.

31 minutes ago, lobrac said:

Agreed! Not everything in this hobby should not be about "how much is it worth?" or "what do you think it will go for?" And do you want just a number? Okay, how about: 10. This complete story is a Perfect 10.

“There’s the way things should be and there’s the way things are.”

-   Skeletor (He-Man and The Masters of the Universe, episode 110a)

Neither of us own it to do “the right thing” and donate it to a musuem, ok? that being said, how much will it sell for?  It’s just a question just for fun   Not that tough. 

I’ll say 50 grand   

Edited by NoMan

8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Neither of us own it to do “the right” and donate it to a musuem, ok? that being said, how much will it sell for?  It’s just a question just for fun   Not that tough. 

I’ll say 50 grand   

I'll say 50 grand too. 

Per page. :makepoint: 

26 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Neither of us own it to do “the right thing” and donate it to a musuem, ok? that being said, how much will it sell for?  It’s just a question just for fun   Not that tough. 

I’ll say 50 grand   

This is one of those pieces that may get national media coverage outside of the hobby. It also may bring in a whole other group of collector’s. So. $50K is way, way too low. I agree with Gene. 

When I pointed out that one can see parallels between the climax of “Master Race” and the Bruce Wayne origin sequence [in The Dark Knight Returns, Frank] Miller cut us off. ‘Oh, it’s not a parallel,’ he said with a little chuckle. ‘He came first and I imitated him.’”

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/frank-miller-talks-bernard-krigstein-dark-knight-inspiration.html

I"m gonna be the contrarian and say this will do "less" that expected, because it's historic nature is too esoteric to draw attention.  It would take more than a 30 sec soundbite to explain why a non comic collector should care about this. Now if it was the 1st appearance of Platypus Man?  The hero with a happy meal and a movie and cartoon and halloween costume?  yeah sure, that's easier to explain.  Your age and comic nerd bias may be inflating your estimation of its value.  :sumo:

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

1 hour ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I"m gonna be the contrarian and say this will do "less" that expected, because it's historic nature is too esoteric to draw attention.  It would take more than a 30 sec soundbite to explain why a non comic collector should care about this. Now if it was the 1st appearance of Platypus Man?  The hero with a happy meal and a movie and cartoon and halloween costume?  yeah sure, that's easier to explain.  Your age and comic nerd bias may be inflating your estimation of its value.  :sumo:

Virtually every heavy hitter in this hobby will want a crack at this. And there may well be institutional bidders, and distinct interest outside the hobby as well. 

11 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

When I pointed out that one can see parallels between the climax of “Master Race” and the Bruce Wayne origin sequence [in The Dark Knight Returns, Frank] Miller cut us off. ‘Oh, it’s not a parallel,’ he said with a little chuckle. ‘He came first and I imitated him.’”

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/frank-miller-talks-bernard-krigstein-dark-knight-inspiration.html

The original art for the cover and contents of IMPACT 1 came up for auction in a 1989 Russ Cochran Art Auction.

Davis's cover art (based on "Master Race') sold at $1,485, though the complete story art for 'Master Race' was no longer available at the time of the auction (listed as, "Having sold many years ago").

I very much doubt that the Brothers Donnelly were the original owners.  John Benson wrote a detailed essay on 'Master Race' for an early edition of the Squa Tront fanzine.  It's at the back of my mind that maybe Benson was given (or sold) the artwork by Gaines?  That's pure speculation on my behalf (maybe based on a long distant memory . . . I can't say for sure).

The story art ought to attract big numbers, though expectations from the Brothers might not necessarily result in a sale?  Be interesting to see how this one pans out . . .

Edited by The Voord